Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Thank you! I will be looking into casting 223's with a lead. I heard you need to use a harder lead. What would you guys suggest? I would be coating with Hi-Tek. What can you push Hi-Tek up to?

Boolit Grand Master

I used heat treated linotype for the Lee 22 cal. "Bator" boolits that I pushed to 3,619fps average. Air cooled linotype is good in some guns to 3,000 fps, others may not get to 2,500 fps.

I used Red Copper and Gold 1035 in my quest for hi velocity. In the 223 Rem I used H4895 powder. The 3,619 fps loads were over max listed loads but they did not present any problems in my gun.

Velocities of 2,500 fps to around 2,800, 3,000 fps are done fairly easily. Use weight sorted boolits with good gas checks installed properly. I have used aluminum gas checks and they worked good other than the time I tried to install them on 32 BHN linotype boolits. The GC extruded up the side of the boolit. I think the boolit was harder than the aluminum. If you use aluminum gcs install them first if you are going to heat treat the boolit.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Too much home brew Whiskey?????

Not enough, and it should be only good old Kentucky aged bourbon. Nothing but the best....

Boolit Master
    32 BHN? Holy Moly!

Do you use them in an AR15?
    32 should be hard enough for auto feeding, not?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    I used heat treated linotype for the Lee 22 cal. "Bator" boolits that I pushed to 3,619fps average. Air cooled linotype is good in some guns to 3,000 fps, others may not get to 2,500 fps.

I used Red Copper and Gold 1035 in my quest for hi velocity. In the 223 Rem I used H4895 powder. The 3,619 fps loads were over max listed loads but they did not present any problems in my gun.

Velocities of 2,500 fps to around 2,800, 3,000 fps are done fairly easily. Use weight sorted boolits with good gas checks installed properly. I have used aluminum gas checks and they worked good other than the time I tried to install them on 32 BHN linotype boolits. The GC extruded up the side of the boolit. I think the boolit was harder than the aluminum. If you use aluminum gcs install them first if you are going to heat treat the boolit.
    Leadman,
    Great work. Thank you for publishing your findings.
    I would, and I suppose many others would, be interested in which coatings you used, what catalyst, and how was sizing with these hard alloys?
    Would you be so kind to detail what you did and what you found during the whole process.
    I would find it great reading.
    Thanks much
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    Thanks leadman
    I have cast and coated some of the same bullets (softer alloy) with gold 1035 and was trying to decide what powder to go with. What accuracy were you able to achieve and what load was it? Gun, barrel length, etc.?

Love the sharing of experience. Saves time and mistakes.
    Last edited by Avenger442; 10-21-2014 at 01:27 PM.

Boolit Master
    Hm,
    my new rifle mold throws .310", but I would need .311" for my barrel.

Will the coating add 1/1000 of an inch to it?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jayjay1 View Post
    Hm,
    my new rifle mold throws .310", but I would need .311" for my barrel.

Will the coating add 1/1000 of an inch to it?
    jayjay1,
    Just measure average diameter of your cast. Coat some to your satisfaction, and re-measure diameter.
    This way you can determine how much coating you used and what are effects on a specific number of coated projectiles.
    Please advise

From my limited experience, you should be dropping .001/.002" larger then you need. Then coat and size. My 9mm moulds are dropping .358/.359, then I am coating and then sizing to .356/.357". I am not loosing any coating. If your mould is not dropping correctly, you will not make it up with the coating.....the coating should not be used to build up to the size you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Labanaktis View Post
    Here are the sized bullets! .3560/.3565. The bullets are dropping from the moulds at .358/.359 on average.

The coating is working perfect. Didn't loose any during the sizing process.
    is that 3 coats?? powder version of HiTek?

Yes, 3 coats of the Hi-Tek powdered Zombie Green. The 2nd coat looked good but 3 makes a difference in appearance.

Boolit Grand Master

My heat treated lino boolits were coated with Red Copper and Gold 1035. Both seemed to work well but the Gold 1035 seemed to me to size easier. I used standard and Extreme cat.
    I used both copper and aluminum gas checks. If you use aluminum checks make sure you install them before heat treating as they are soft enough to extrude up the sides of the boolit! I give the copper the advantage in this application.
    I have alot of H4895 so this is the powder I used for testing.
    Highest velocity was obtained in the 23" bull barrel on my Contender at 3,619 fps. This load was beyond listed manual data and while they presented no problems I probably will not go this high again. Just wanted to see how fast I could push the boolits. I ran out of powder room before I reached the boolits limit.

The loads functioned fine in my Stag Arms left hand AR15 with 16" barrel. Velocity lose in the AR was about 300 fps. Accuracy was around 2 moa.
    Now that it is under 100 degrees during the day I intend to continue testing these boolits and coatings to improve the accuracy. Hopefully I will be able to test the harder resin also.

Joe I gave a guy your contact details last w/end, at the GCPC... did he get in touch with you? Also I need some C.A.Red soon...
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post
    Joe I gave a guy your contact details last w/end, at the GCPC... did he get in touch with you? Also I need some C.A.Red soon...
    Gremlin,
    Thanks for your referral, much appreciated.
    I have on average about 20-25 emails, 8-10 phone calls a week from people wanting products so it is possible, that your contact may have already contacted me. Please send me a PM with details.
    With Candy Apple Red, just send me a PM of what you require.
    Thanks much

Banned

Your testing is great leadman.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gunoil View Post
    Your testing is great leadman.

I second that... well done.

Boolit Master
    cant wait for the US shipment of powder....... I am buying as soon as it hits the store.

Did you ship brown copper powder there ?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kryogen View Post
    cant wait for the US shipment of powder....... I am buying as soon as it hits the store.

Did you ship brown copper powder there ?
    Shipment is already on the water, heading to LA.
    It should arrive around 15-18th.
    For a start, there will be Brown Copper, Red Copper, Red 122L, Red 122K, Red 254, Candy Apple,
    Zombie Green, Black, Texas Tea, Gold 1035, Old Gold, (antique gold).
    You will have to be quick, as orders are being placed for supply already.
    There should be a follow up shipment soon.

Boolit Master
    those powders have all been tested, and the brown copper works fine ?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kryogen View Post
    those powders have all been tested, and the brown copper works fine ?

They work just fine.
    As possible, I will post some photos of products coated with various coloured coatings.
    There is limited amount of Brown Copper coating sent.
    Some is already spoken for and pre-sold, and I dont know how much remains available.

Page 210 of 742 FirstFirst ... 110160200201202203204205206207208209210211212213214215216217218219220260310710 ... LastLast