RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by glaciers View Post
    What is the Brindle Hardness of the 325's in for your 45-70, and do you Hi-Tec only, or do you add additional lubes?
    Thanks,
    John
    Hi John, my BHN is 16. Size .4595. Plain base.

Hi Tek three coats. I have used TMG Gold and Candy Apple Red lately. I also shoot a 465 grainer, same coatings and plain base.

Discovering Hi Tek got me back into casting and big bores.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatch View Post
    Two pythons ! Aren't they fairly hard to come by these days ? And you have two..
    Hey Gatch, mate, pal, buddy, Guess wot!.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pythons.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	246398
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master
    Gotta love revolvers!!! Grem you are a lucky man.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post
    Hey Gatch, mate, pal, buddy, Guess wot!.

Name:	pythons.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	246398
    Bahahaha now you're just showing off mate ! That top one wuth the 8" ? barrel looks sweet. Do you shoot them much ?

Aside from todays revolver envy, I took delivery of some candy apple red hitek the other day. Just doing second coat now, but the first coat passed wipe and smash test with flying lack of colours. Also picked up about 80kg of wheel weights, so soon I'll have some straight coww + 2% to cast up and try. I also shortened my expander plug and gave it a harden and polish last night. All good stuff. Now once these bullets are out the oven I'm to bed.

Quote Originally Posted by slide View Post
    Gotta love revolvers!!! Grem you are a lucky man.
    Oh how I wish I owned them, but these are the ones I just made the mold for and working up a load for them. The picture just does not do the shine of these beauties justice.

Button nosed 148gn SWC 120 through the bottom 6" one, no leading with 2 coats of Red Copper. However the AP70 powder is leaving a mess. Hoping to convert to AP50, its slightly faster but not as dirty residue wise.
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master
    Problem is, 50 is not in the shops anymore.... So then you'll have to do up a load with the new APS stuff that ADI are bringing out, but hey, excuse to shoot them again?

Boolit Buddy
    1st batch of candy apple red came out fantastic. Wipe and smash test were perfect !

Name:	20190807_185519.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	246414

Boolit Master
    They look great, i bet they shoot just as well.

Boolit Master
    Good Job, Gatch
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Candy & TMG here.

305 grain NOE for 500 S&W. I'm "force crimping" with Lee collet die.

Last edited by Petander; 08-09-2019 at 02:14 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Candy & TMG here.

305 grain NOE for 500 S&W. I'm "force crimping" with Lee collet die.

they look just great, a bit over coked but they will work just fine

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    they look just great, a bit over coked but they will work just fine
    Yes,I'm still a little on the dark side because my cyclone isn't even / radiant heat. At the end of my 10 min bake some bullets hit 205°C while some are 195°C. At 6 min they all are 185-190°C.

I will fine tune for blue.

Boolit Buddy
    Should I do anything different with the new Dark green metallic? I constantly get chipping even with 120ML and drying 45 Min. Do I need to go with 150 ML acetone? It's really the only one that i cant get from chipping. They pass the acetone test and they shoot as good as any other color i have. Also when is the blue coming to the U.S. market?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Yes,I'm still a little on the dark side because my cyclone isn't even / radiant heat. At the end of my 10 min bake some bullets hit 205°C while some are 195°C. At 6 min they all are 185-190°C.

I will fine tune for blue.
    Do you remove the tray at the 1/2time point and turn it 90deg an re-insert it??

I do. keeps the colour uniform.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatch View Post
    So after a trial run with the custom plug I've learned some stuff. The diameter is spot on. The pulled boolits went in and come out at .357 so that's a win.

The less good is that I've discovered where the case wall thickens up and that you can only push the plug in so far before the case bulges too much. So no matter what, my lead boolits are going to swage down a little at the base when seated.

Will they still lead the barrel ? I'll find out next week at the range.
    Instant bevel base. If the alloy and pressure are right it will bump up, obturate, to fit. That's why you can't use just any old 355-358 mold for the 9mm.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    Instant bevel base. If the alloy and pressure are right it will bump up, obturate, to fit. That's why you can't use just any old 355-358 mold for the 9mm.
    So I'm finding out. After more reading, I've found the shadow 2 has a very short throat and makes loading heavy bullets difficult. I've got a new 130gr bb 2r nose mold on the way. Hopefully the shorter bullet wont end up swaging down.

Boolit Buddy
    Tried out the Zombie Green for the first time some days ago. I was very pleased with the coverage and how smooth they were with only one coat, so I decided to size them and try them out.

Pic attached

I tried them on the range today. Shot 50 of them. They performed as the other ones with two coats! They sure looks prettier with two coats but as performance goes, they were as good as the ones with two coates. I sell a lot of these so it's a lot of labour and time saved. The Magma 100 SWCs are very popular over here for soft shooting competition loads.

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Do you remove the tray at the 1/2time point and turn it 90deg an re-insert it??

I do. keeps the colour uniform.
    I'll try this asap!

Makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter74 View Post
    Tried out the Zombie Green for the first time some days ago. I was very pleased with the coverage and how smooth they were with only one coat...

...I tried them on the range today. Shot 50 of them. They performed as the other ones with two coats! They sure looks prettier with two coats but as performance goes, they were as good as the ones with two coates.

All I can say is wow. The way I do, one coat never looks like that.

I've tried the single coat in rifle. The no leading was good with one coat but my accuracy at 100 yards was not quite as good. This stuff will take the heat.

I'm about to load what I hope to be the most accurate ammo I've ever done. We have a CMP range about a hour and a half from me that has a 200, 300 and 600 yard range. They have electronically scored targets so you are never on the range to change targets. It's a really cool system. I think you can check it out at thecmp.org/talladega. You have to get three out of five in the inner circle at each distance before they will let you shoot the next distance.

If I can do the casting , coating and loading correctly I'm hoping to post some target photos in he future. Been working on this for little over six months and I think I'm almost there. It's been fun learning all the things I can do to help get the Hi Tec bullets into tight groups. The last loading got contaminated by some Imperial sizing wax I was using to do some outside neck turning. It was a great disappointment when I got to the range. Worst ammo I've ever loaded. We learn from our mistakes, right.
    Last edited by Avenger442; 08-11-2019 at 11:01 PM.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    I have done one coat using the Liquid Black with the 200 gr SWC, I shot about 200 out of my 1911 and the barrel was still clean, 2 coats just look nicer.

Page 607 of 742 FirstFirst ... 107507557597598599600601602603604605606607608609610611612613614615616617657707 ... LastLast