Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Attachment 228301Click image for larger version. 

Name:	heater.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	228302Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oven 2.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	228303Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oven 1.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	228304This my first foray into Hitek coating.I have followed this thread for a long time and read every posting. Thanks to everyone who has contributed.
    My oven is a domestic wall oven but the bottom element doesn't work. I tried doing 2.5kg at a time but the temperature drop was too much so next batch I reduced to 2kg per time. and it seems to be good.
    If you follow the instruction exactly you will have success.
    Last edited by Flintlockrecord; 10-04-2018 at 06:31 PM.
    Ian
    Billy Blacksmith
    SASS #84869
    New Zealand

I put the 2 fire bricks in the bottom of the oven to act as a heat sink. Seems to help with heat loss. Temperature still drops from 200deg to about 175 when a new tray of boolits is put in but recovers at about 5min.
    I am measuring temp with a BBQ thermometer that has a boolit fitted over the probe.
    Ian
    Billy Blacksmith
    SASS #84869
    New Zealand

Boolit Master
    I too am trying to coat my lube groves, it's only for looks, as they dont touch the barrel so don't need covering.

I did find using a thinner mixture did get into the grooves better. I possibly am using more than i need, but the end results look pretty nice. From my rough calculations, ill get a little over 100,000 projectiles coated with 1kg of powder. If i use more than is needed, but get good results, so be it. Best to spend a little extra and get a good product

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by glockfan View Post
    maaan....the 45-70 must be eating a lot of your lead . i'm guessing 350 grain boolits rip off one pound of lead in 4-5 pours....

ui'm still trying to figure out a lead catcher without having to mine berms ,so i can get my lead back to me LOL.
    Looks like a 458 SOCOM to me. Great round!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Flintlockrecord View Post
    I put the 2 fire bricks in the bottom of the oven to act as a heat sink. Seems to help with heat loss. Temperature still drops from 200deg to about 175 when a new tray of boolits is put in but recovers at about 5min.
    I am measuring temp with a BBQ thermometer that has a boolit fitted over the probe.
    Your oven is similar to mine. Do you have an element around the fan at the back? Is there an element at the top? I run both these elements and do 2 trays of 2.5kg each tray in 7 1/2 minutes. Those large brich will interfere with air flow under the tray. use thinner paver blocks and turn them so the run longways front to back with a gap between them.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Not sure where the elements are. I'll try the bricks the other way.
    Ian
    Billy Blacksmith
    SASS #84869
    New Zealand

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    You need to build a bullet trap that uses an empty Oxy bottle and some steel plate. I have an empty beer gas bottle to make one when I get around to it.
    Attachment 228324

Boolit Man
    What yall think, back at it again. 4 coats, still not shimmery or glossy. What can I do? The bucket I'm missing in is a pickle jug. I feel like the closing that stuck previously is coming off like little flakes. Could that be it? I'm a perfectionist, sooo lol thanks guys

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by shanep View Post
    What yall think, back at it again. 4 coats, still not shimmery or glossy. What can I do? The bucket I'm missing in is a pickle jug. I feel like the closing that stuck previously is coming off like little flakes. Could that be it? I'm a perfectionist, sooo lol thanks guys

Here's the picture.

Boolit Master
    I think you r swirling for too long. it looks "grainy"
    Add coating and swirl for like 12 seconds only, then dump them onto the tray to dry.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Man
    I think you r swirling for too long. it looks "grainy"
    Add coating and swirl for like 12 seconds only, then dump them onto the tray to dry.
    Yessir, also they're not paying the acetone test.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by shanep View Post
    Here's the picture.

shanep
    Aside from possibly shake coating for too long, you may be using too much coating mixture.
    I say this, as you are having coating flakes that are drying in your coating bucket flaking off, a excess residue remaining, that was not used up coating your projectiles.

When you add coating mixture, this should dissolve the dry stuff that is in your bucket .

If you have a build up of coating in your bucket, you can simply add only a little Acetone to your coating bucket with your next lot, then, mix/coat, and this should use up residues left in your coating bucket and be regarded as a first coat/primer.
    Don't worry if it is blotchy and uneven. Simply mix/shake coat to use up solvent and residue, then dump it to dry before it gets tacky.

If you get it to a tacky stage, don't worry, just add a small amount of Acetone in again, swirl coat, and this time don't swirl coat for as long so that it does not become tacky.

Some, simply wash out their coating container, and use that for making up coating mixture.

Please consider, that the coating can be recycled back into use after it has dried. The coating cannot be recycled after it is heat set.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    shanep
    Aside from possibly shake coating for too long, you may be using too much coating mixture.
    I say this, as you are having coating flakes that are drying in your coating bucket flaking off, a excess residue remaining, that was not used up coating your projectiles.

When you add coating mixture, this should dissolve the dry stuff that is in your bucket .

If you have a build up of coating in your bucket, you can simply add only a little Acetone to your coating bucket with your next lot, then, mix/coat, and this should use up residues left in your coating bucket and be regarded as a first coat/primer.
    Don't worry if it is blotchy and uneven. Simply mix/shake coat to use up solvent and residue, then dump it to dry before it gets tacky.

If you get it to a tacky stage, don't worry, just add a small amount of Acetone in again, swirl coat, and this time don't swirl coat for as long so that it does not become tacky.

Some, simply wash out their coating container, and use that for making up coating mixture.

Please consider, that the coating can be recycled back into use after it has dried. The coating cannot be recycled after it is heat set.
    I started cleaning my bucket, but will do your method instead of just dumping left over residue. I think it was a few different of each, the residue which was just an oversite on my part. Noticed in videos I've watch a dozen time a day their bucket was clean each time. Then I was covering my tray like you had said and I don't believe I was doing a thorough bake, so I uncovered and baby say it every 2 1/2 minutes i'd shake and turn and now they're passing both tests again. So tomorrow I'll cast some more after I shoot some of these to reward myself for my labors. Lol can I size these in my lyman lubrasizer, which will probably get live on them? I don't have a single stage sizer for this bullet other than on my lubrasizer. It might not get any lube on them but if it does will it hurry. Thanks for all your help!!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Performance Bullet Coatings View Post
    Getting lube on a bullet your going to reload and shoot is no big deal. It's just going to smoke a little. Getting lube on a bullet you intend to re-coat is a problem as it will cause adhesion issues.
    Thank you, I figured it would be ok.

Boolit Master
    You might find that the Lyman Sizer die will tear off some coating. Mine did. The holes where the lube comes out were the problem. That is why I went to Lee sizer dies.
    You should see the coating buildup in my hand swirling bucket. Huge!!!! It is like 1/8" thick around the sides. The machine swirler buckets get cleaned every 10,000 bullets.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Man
    You might find that the Lyman Sizer die will tear off some coating. Mine did. The holes where the lube comes out were the problem. That is why I went to Lee sizer dies.
    You should see the coating buildup in my hand swirling bucket. Huge!!!! It is like 1/8" thick around the sides. The machine swirler buckets get cleaned every 10,000 bullets.
    I ordered one last night for the lee sizer. I didn't have one for the lubrasizer.

Banned
    But you're not running un-cooked boolits through the sizer are you?

I prefer NOE sizers, after the initial outlay for the Push Through Size Die Body ($39.95 ) the sizing bushings are $9.75 and the pushrods are $7.50 (only need one per caliber and you can use Lee's. Much larger size selection

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=104

Boolit Master
    What does the jury say,is this acetone wipe test fail or not?

Seriously overbaked Zombie green,I even gave it another 30 min. My tin rich WW/Monotype Mystery Alloy does this with ZG.

Attachment 228414

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    What does the jury say,is this acetone wipe test fail or not?

Seriously overbaked Zombie green,I even gave it another 30 min. My tin rich WW/Monotype Mystery Alloy does this with ZG.

Attachment 228414
    I'm new to this but am also using zombie green. I'd say yes but not bad, and they overcooked. They say zg is hard to get. I'm still trying cause either they're burnt or grainy.

I currently use a Magma Star Lube-sizer to do my lubbing and now that i have just used the high tec coating on a heap of projectiles. i wanted to now if i can use my Magma Star Lube-sizer with out lube to side the projectiles or do i need to buy other equipmnt

Page 536 of 742 FirstFirst ... 36436486526527528529530531532533534535536537538539540541542543544545546586636 ... LastLast