Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Joe
    You just visited the wrong places for your personality. Sounds like both you and Ausglock would enjoy the Southern US. We are a little more laid back down here. No disrespect intended to the rest but, if you like a more relaxed style you need to visit Donnie or come to "Sweet Home" Alabama. There is a reason they call it that.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    If ever I get to the USA, I'd love to tour the Glock factory in Georgia if it is still there.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Lots of good stuff down south. If you like a beach with snow white sand go to Gulf Shores, Alabama. Also the place to go if you like sea food caught yesterday and on the table today. Go during the off season to miss the crowd and save some money. We have the mountains here, too. But would suggest you go to Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg for the mountains. Again in the off season to miss the crowd.

I have traveled some in the US and outside and I have never seen any place I would rather be than Alabama. And not just because it's home.

Got some coating to do next week.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1(1).jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	165021 Dang, upside down again. Sorry Joe was plugging the 500 and this computer shows the file right side up and it's up side down when I down load it onto the site.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    My eldest bloke works a Prawn Trawler here on the coast.
    Fresh prawns (shrimp to you lot), Lobster, Fish and Morton bay Bugs. He brings me a care package every few weeks.....
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Avenger, I thought you deliberately posted the photo "upside down" so that it would come out the right way up for we'uns down under!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    Lots of good stuff down south. If you like a beach with snow white sand go to Gulf Shores, Alabama. Also the place to go if you like sea food caught yesterday and on the table today. Go during the off season to miss the crowd and save some money. We have the mountains here, too. But would suggest you go to Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg for the mountains. Again in the off season to miss the crowd.

I have traveled some in the US and outside and I have never seen any place I would rather be than Alabama. And not just because it's home.

Got some coating to do next week.

Name:	image1(1).jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	165021 Dang, upside down again. Sorry Joe was plugging the 500 and this computer shows the file right side up and it's up side down when I down load it onto the site.
    How do you find the 500+ aerosol?
    Is it slick enough?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    My eldest bloke works a Prawn Trawler here on the coast.
    Fresh prawns (shrimp to you lot), Lobster, Fish and Morton bay Bugs. He brings me a care package every few weeks.....
    You did not tell me about your Care packs.
    We are partial to Lobsters and fresh Prawns, (Shrimp)
    I have had no time to go fishing for 6 years, and my boat, 4.5 meter, has been in same spot for 7 years.
    I am forced to buy in local fish and chips shop, imported unknown species.
    All our good catches seem to be sent over seas.

Boolit Master
    Instructions from Donny say 20 grams powder to 100ml acetone. I found a conversion that says 20 grams equal 308.65 grains, is that correct?

Joe
    500 Plus works good on molds, a gas check maker and several other things that need a dry lube. May have to contact Donnie for another can.
    Will it protect steel molds from rusting?

dikman
    I hadn't even thought of that. So I need to post all of my photos up side down from now on.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like you are correct in your conversion kokomokid.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master
    I use 500Plus on everything...door hinges, roller door tracks, ride on mower steering gear, gate hinges and latches....everything.
    hell.. it even stops the dog from barking.
    I spray it on my bad knee to relieve the pain.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=Avenger442;3599641]Joe
    500 Plus works good on molds, a gas check maker and several other things that need a dry lube. May have to contact Donnie for another can.
    Will it protect steel molds from rusting?

Avenger, the 500+ has no corrosion inhibitors in the product.
    Such materials would be destroyed with high temperatures reached by surfaces .
    It is simply a way to minimize alloy sticking inside molds, and separate metals and lubricate.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kokomokid View Post
    Instructions from Donny say 20 grams powder to 100ml acetone. I found a conversion that says 20 grams equal 308.65 grains, is that correct?

Your conversion is correct.

Banned

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    I use 500Plus on everything...door hinges, roller door tracks, ride on mower steering gear, gate hinges and latches....everything.
    hell.. it even stops the dog from barking.
    I spray it on my bad knee to relieve the pain.
    hehehehehe! your a mess mate!

Boolit Master
    Gunslick... Mate... Long time no see.

What you been up to?
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    I have searched the thread on Gun Metal powder baking temp and didn't find discussion, so far my Gun Metal has a lot of Green and Yellow color. My last bake I dropped the oven temp to 185-190 deg C for 14 min, the bullets passed the smash test and shoot fine with zero leading but not dark Grey.

Should I go higher on baking temp?

I bake mine at a higher temperature 390-400F 12 minutes. This temp. is measured by two oven thermometers and maintained with a PID. Three coats Gun Metal.
    What color are yours coming out of the oven on the last bake? How many coats? Photos if you have them.

Here are two photos of mine after baking final coat.

Name:	Hollow Point Gun Metal.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	165493

Name:	2 Final 007.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	165494

Attachment 165495

Boolit Master

I haven't done any Hi-Tek coating in a little bit, but I shot 100 rounds of .45acp on Monday. Accuracy seemed decent, basically no smoke, but I could smell a slight plastic-y smell when I fired them. They were Lee tl 230gr rn, sized 452 with 2 coats of gold liquid. The gun was a USP45.

After 100 rounds, my barrel was pretty fouled up, looked like lead. It took a bunch of scrubbing with chore boy around the brush to make a difference.

I'm suspecting I wasn't getting a proper cure on my earlier batches.

I also have a 300blk upper that fired 50 155gr coated boolits waiting to be cleaned. I had horrible accuracy with them, and it leaded badly.

I think I might need a better toaster oven. I had used an oven thermometer to get to what it said was 400 degrees. I'll have to try a thermocouple probe to get a second look at that. All of these passed the smash and wipe tests.
    Last edited by 2wheelDuke; 04-06-2016 at 11:58 AM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Buddy
    2wheelduke,
    If you have any pics of the bullets in question text them to me at 225 324 4501 it is sometimes easier to help diagnose an issue with a picture.
    Donnie

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    I have searched the thread on Gun Metal powder baking temp and didn't find discussion, so far my Gun Metal has a lot of Green and Yellow color. My last bake I dropped the oven temp to 185-190 deg C for 14 min, the bullets passed the smash test and shoot fine with zero leading but not dark Grey.

Should I go higher on baking temp?
    G'day.
    The Gunmetal colour is different to most of the other powdered coatings. The longer you swirl in the coating bucket, the darker the colour gets. Most of the Experimental Blues I am testing do the same thing.

I'd suggest aggressive swirling when coating and watch the colour change as you swirl.

Remember 6mls per 2KG of bullets.

Temp of 200Deg C is fine (provided that your thermometer is accurate) and 12 minutes will do the trick.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Page 350 of 742 FirstFirst ... 250300340341342343344345346347348349350351352353354355356357358359360400450 ... LastLast