MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Froogal

Good news, you are not restricted to acetone as a solvent.

Joe correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you can use denatured alcohol and I think MEK (although I don't like being around it). I've never use anything but acetone since it was the first mentioned. Some of the others have properties that are of an advantage in certain conditions.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    MEK works better for me. Doesn't evaporate as fast. If you are that sensitive and want to try it you can buy a respirator with cartiages that will work on fumes. I do my shaking outside and I stay upwind of the swirling container. No wind hold it as far out as you can. No problem! Just curious which video did you watch?
    Last edited by slide; 10-25-2019 at 05:10 PM. Reason: question
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Quote Originally Posted by slide View Post
    And I thought it was bad here!
    If you're referring to rainfall, many areas in Oz are in real trouble due to a lack of it, sometimes for years as HI-TEK mentioned. If you're referring to animals causing accidents it's also becoming a real issue. Unless they're a hunter, or on a hunting forum, most people don't realise just how widespread deer are here. Likewise kangaroos, they are in plague proportions in places, and both species can do real damage if they hit a vehicle. It is not uncommon to find kangaroos in suburban areas now. Koalas are also in huge numbers now in some areas, fortunately they are a bit smaller and slow moving (and exceedingly dumb!).

Due to the tight restrictions on hunting here there is virtually nothing to control these beasties as they have no natural predators here (except for man).

Boolit Master
    Happy Birthday Tazza.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Happy Birthday Tazza.
    TAZZA,
    I did not know you turned 21. Happy Birthday, celebrate well and long...

Boolit Master
    And I thought it was bad here!
    I remember living in North Queensland town of Dysart and we got a call that dad was very ill in hospital, 4 of us got in the one car to drive to Brisbane and had to stop and wait till daylight as we hit 23 Kangaroos in around 70 km. It is dangerous to drive at night in many Queensland areas. The wife and I feed at least 20 native birds every afternoon as there is little food for them in this dry time, in this state it is illegal to feed native birds so I have been told. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cohen View Post
    in this state it is illegal to feed native birds so I have been told. Regards Stephen
    Laws don't feed starving animals.
    We put a large tub of water out every day for the roos and the birds.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Laws don't feed starving animals.
    We put a large tub of water out every day for the roos and the birds.

The so called "Laws" may be the reason why the Government refuses to help with Food and Water for all the drought stricken farmers inland who are shooting their stock and also selling breeding stock to slaughter houses. The government may consider that these animals are wild, and goes against the so called Laws to feed them or supply water, and that is why they have not acted, despite farmers being on their knees begging for help, and some committing suicide as they cant cope, and some simply walking off their properties leaving starving animals, as they cant afford buying feed, or Water, or pay for transport costs to freight them to slaughter houses.
    We have seen some wild critters come and drink out of water we leave out. We have seen Bats and Flying Foxes fall out of trees with starvation and dehydration. It is not pleasant.

Boolit Master
    MEK works better for me. Doesn't evaporate as fast. If you are that sensitive and want to try it you can buy a respirator with cartiages that will work on fumes. I do my shaking outside and I stay upwind of the swirling container. No wind hold it as far out as you can. No problem! Just curious which video did you watch?
    Can't say which video I watched. I just did a search for Hi-Tek coatings and chose the one that looked the best. I think it was actually done by a Hi-Tek representative.

Boolit Master
    Be careful... There are a lot of vids on youtube of people doing the HITEK that are doing it wrong!

Some of them make me cringe.

I'd do one, But I have a face for Radio, not video..
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Ausglock's words should be heeded. You have to be careful. Most of the guys on youtube,not all, are just looking to try and make money or get these companies to send them free stuff. You can get the instructions online. Read them(several times). then YOU decide how you want to do it.

Boolit Master

Ausglock's words should be heeded. You have to be careful. Most of the guys on youtube,not all, are just looking to try and make money or get these companies to send them free stuff. You can get the instructions online. Read them(several times). then YOU decide how you want to do it.
    Slide,
    There are a couple of videos made by casters, both commercial and hobbyists.
    Attached is links to them

https://youtu.be/RnBVfGzwyuM (commercial caster how to coat).

https://youtu.be/svu6oHcd7d0 (Gremlin how to coat)

Boolit Master
    There you go Froogal, from the man himself!

Boolit Master
    Played with the Marlin 1894 44Mag today. This rifle is a 1978 vintage and JM stamped. Fitted a C-more Railway sight to it and sighted in.
    I ran the Lee 210gn RNFP with 2 coats of Red Copper and some Sierra 240gn JSHP.
    A few people have asked how the coated lead shoots in the Microgroove riflling of the marlins.
    Well, they shoot fine. no gas checks and pushed along with 19gns of Alliant 2400.
    The earth berm messed them up some, but you can still see the coating intact on the coated pill.

Recovered Jacketed for fun..

Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Played with the Marlin 1894 44Mag today. This rifle is a 1978 vintage and JM stamped. Fitted a C-more Railway sight to it and sighted in.
    I ran the Lee 210gn RNFP with 2 coats of Red Copper and some Sierra 240gn JSHP.
    A few people have asked how the coated lead shoots in the Microgroove riflling of the marlins.
    Well, they shoot fine. no gas checks and pushed along with 19gns of Alliant 2400.
    The earth berm messed them up some, but you can still see the coating intact on the coated pill.

Recovered Jacketed for fun..

WOW that is awesome. That will answer a few who are wondering...

Boolit Master
    Interesting to note the colour change to the coating where is contacts the bore. a bit darker than the coating on the round nose.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Interesting to note the colour change to the coating where is contacts the bore. a bit darker than the coating on the round nose.
    Goes to show several things
    1. There must have been a lot of frictional heat set up
    2. The coating reflected the heat away from alloy and coating and Lead was not affected
    3. The coating has taken enormous pressure and was OK
    4. No residue in the bore, no Leading or atomisation, (until it hit the Berm) What have you got against that poor Berm?

Boolit Master
    Be careful... There are a lot of vids on youtube of people doing the HITEK that are doing it wrong!

I have been watching you tube videos for several years now, and on different subjects, and yes, some of them just make me cringe. I am not new to casting, not new to the various coatings. I worked in a ball bearing factory for many years, where I was exposed to many different chemicals, and eventually became over-sensitized. Acetone didn't use to bother me in the least. NOW it does. I cannot even deal with finger nail polish remover, scented candles, or most of the common, household cleaners.

Boolit Master

I hope you don't plan to HItek your mug or other body parts!

Boolit Master
    Ausglock, you have coated more bullets than anybody on the planet.Why not do a video. What you think Joe?

Page 618 of 742 FirstFirst ... 118518568608609610611612613614615616617618619620621622623624625626627628668718 ... LastLast