RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 84 of 742 FirstFirst ... 34747576777879808182838485868788899091929394134184584 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,680 of 14829

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    I mix 130mls at a time. I coat approximately 250 to 300 9mm 125gr bullets at a time. I'd use 7mls per coat. with 45's I coat 200 to 250 at a time with the same amount (7mls) per coat. Everything comes out fine.

Always smash and wipe after the first coat. This will show shattering if the first coat is not right, when smashed.

Today I ran the experimental resins 1 and 2 with 125gr RN in my SVI race gun at Major power factor (1400fps)
    All fired from a bench rest at 50 metres. ALl shot great. Accurate and clean. I'll post some photos later of the targets and the bore.

Grem. Will do.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Finally had 40 success in 5 different guns. Wil post groups tomorrow. Scary accurate at 10yds. like eyeball accurate. its all in the oven. Things i tried in the past that failed work with 40 now. thank you breville.
    Hy-tek thought it was the heat source. Joe was right. Joe pls make sure if something happens to you someone knows your secret. I just got my ins. gonna make a go at this. Many locals love my rounds. You sir are the man. I have been letting them shoot 50 out of their plarform of choice in 9mm. If it leads I pay them $20. if not they have to buy 2 boxes. yes I have ffl and have paid ITAR. Haven't paid a dime on those 9mm bets and sold a bunch o rounds already. Now to the 40 since it is proven.
    G27 shot 150 rounds today coated with gold. 2 runs w bore snake and can't tell it was shot.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kweidner View Post
    Finally had 40 success in 5 different guns. Wil post groups tomorrow. Scary accurate at 10yds. like eyeball accurate. its all in the oven. Things i tried in the past that failed work with 40 now. thank you breville.
    Hy-tek thought it was the heat source. Joe was right. Joe pls make sure if something happens to you someone knows your secret. I just got my ins. gonna make a go at this. Many locals love my rounds. You sir are the man. I have been letting them shoot 50 out of their plarform of choice in 9mm. If it leads I pay them $20. if not they have to buy 2 boxes. yes I have ffl and have paid ITAR. Haven't paid a dime on those 9mm bets and sold a bunch o rounds already. Now to the 40 since it is proven.
    G27 shot 150 rounds today coated with gold. 2 runs w bore snake and can't tell it was shot.

Great stuff. It's really easy once you get everything doing what it should.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kweidner View Post
    Thanks much for your report.
    Your kind words are much appreciated.
    Please note, that larger weight boolits will take a little longer to get up to heat if you use same number loaded into the oven.
    This is why, a mini cyclone inside oven is best if you can achieve it.
    My little oven, I have used an additional fan with shaft going through side wall and motor mounted outside. I did not rely on commercial fan forced systems, as they seldom are best in design, unless you start paying a lot of money for much better ovens.
    Air, is a very poor conductor of heat, and to pass that heat to the alloys, it has to come into contact with them many times over and rapidly.
    That is most efficient way of getting heat into alloys and more even heating as well.
    Well done, and am looking forward to more of your posts.
    HI-TEK

Boolit Master
    Range report.
    All testing was done at 50 metres from a sandbag rest on a bench.
    The blue/green resin 1 fire perfectly.
    Same with blue/green resin 2.

If anything, the resin 2 was probably a tad more accurate.
    The patches on the targets are 1" in Dia to give a bit of scale to the photo.

There was virtually no difference in accuracy or velocity. Velocity was 1352 to 1360 for all shots fired
    The last photo is the red 254 resin 1 with the gold solids from the gold 1035 resin 4 added to it.
    It also fired perfectly and accurate. Bullet was a 120gr Conical. Velocity was 1406 average.

Note: the dark shadow in the bore is the popple hole. The gun is lying on its left side. photos taken through the compensator
    Blue/green resin 1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-11-03_10-25-31_999.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	86257
    Blue/green resin 2

Name:	2013-11-03_10-33-16_539.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	86258
    Red 254+ Gold 1035

Name:	2013-11-03_10-44-12_828.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	86259
    Bore 1

Name:	2013-11-03_12-44-19_604.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	86260
    Bore 2

Name:	2013-11-03_12-45-22_238.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	86261
    Last edited by Ausglock; 11-03-2013 at 03:52 PM.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Btroj - I got the funny smell on my first batch that wasn't cured correctly. Some leading too. Last batch that cured properly didn't give the smell. Same odor that I get when they are coking so I assume they are 'curing' when fired. Well, back to taking care of the GKs. Then monitor the NYCM and off to 2 more soccer games with the GKs.
    Whatever!

Boolit Mold
    Thanks All, the measurement info that you all gave is exactly what I was looking for. I don't feel so intimated to try this now, and I can figure out how much product to use...thanks again..Paul

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul4895 View Post
    Thanks All, the measurement info that you all gave is exactly what I was looking for. I don't feel so intimated to try this now, and I can figure out how much product to use...thanks again..Paul
    Many of us use slightly different amounts depending on how much acetone you use. With 5-1-6 start at 1 tsp per 5lbs of alloy. this is about 250 135 gr nines or 200 180 gr 40's. This should get you in the ballpark. Adjust from there. Go ahead and get a good oven. you will be glad you did.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Love Life
    I pour my concoction into a bug juice drink bottle. I toss a couple handfuls into the coffee can, add a squirt of HI-TEK, and get to shaken. I shake for about 15 seconds and dump before the sound changes.

That is my scientific approach to it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Btroj - I got the funny smell on my first batch that wasn't cured correctly. Some leading too. Last batch that cured properly didn't give the smell. Same odor that I get when they are coking so I assume they are 'curing' when fired. Well, back to taking care of the GKs. Then monitor the NYCM and off to 2 more soccer games with the GKs.
    I wondered if undercooking was the cause. I am not getting leading but did get a sticky residue in the bore that grabs at the patches.

Bullets will get another cooking for a bit longer. I think part of my problem is that I am not giving them long enough to fully dry, this cuts into the cooking time as I am driving off excess acetone for a part of the heat cycle.

Thanks for the info, it reinforces what I thought was going on.

Love Life
    Let your bullets dry for a an hour or more. I let mine dry overnight, cast a few every night, and coat/bake on weekends. The ammo cans fill up fast that way...

Boolit Grand Master
    Yeah, I rushed things. I know, I know. I need to wait. I just wanted to load ammo the next AM to get a chance to try them out. That didn't work, I seated them too long and had poor feeding. Seated them deeper a few days later and they were fine.

I will be rebooking these for 10 more minutes, I know they are fully dry now.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Yeah, I rushed things. I know, I know. I need to wait. I just wanted to load ammo the next AM to get a chance to try them out. That didn't work, I seated them too long and had poor feeding. Seated them deeper a few days later and they were fine.

I will be rebooking these for 10 more minutes, I know they are fully dry now.

Thanks for your posting.
    I have always try and suggest, that people need to cast as many as they can in advance.
    The home casting is the area that is slowest.
    Once you have a reasonable quantity, then, make up some coating mixture, and coat what you can with that mixture.
    It is always best, if you then are left with some uncoated projectiles, and use up all your coating mixture , and then there is no waste, and coating mixtures are always fresh.
    The uncoated stuff can be done with next lot, as you cast more for later use.
    Coating is very quick. It is better if you can leave (especially first coat) over night and bake next day.
    That way you can maximise drying, and save time and energy with heating, as you can cook all you had coated one batch after the other.
    As many are finding, some small ovens are not up to scratch with ability to do the job, and sometimes "best set up" for correct cooking, needs to be determined, by playing with settings and time of cook.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Let your bullets dry for a an hour or more. I let mine dry overnight, cast a few every night, and coat/bake on weekends. The ammo cans fill up fast that way...
    thats what i do.

Boolit Grand Master
    I was amazed at how accurate the oven settings were, the thermometer I put in the oven matched up pretty well. I adjusted the dial until the thermometer showed 400 degrees.

I need to make the coating a two day process. Coat one day, cook the next and recoat. Then cook again later.

This is NOT a process that can be sped up, that is for sure.

I am certain that what happened is undercooking. Mine spent too much time evaporating off acetone instead of heating. A longer time might help.

Lesson learned. Won't be repeating that mistake!

Love Life
    The $30.00 toaster oven from Wal-Mart is the bomb. Came with a 2 year warranty for an extra $4.00.

I set it for 400 degrees, never use a thermometer. I set my computer stopwatch and go remove the bullets at the allotted time. Success every time.

Ensure you let your oven pre-heat. I remove a batch of bullets, close oven door, and dump them on the cooling rack (hehe. I said rack). I then load the baking tray up, and set it on top of the oven for one minute. What this does is allows the oven to come back to full temp and warms the bullets up a little. After they sit on top of the oven a bit, you put the tray of bullets in the oven to bake. I open the oven and give the oven tray full of bullets a quick shake at the half way point.

Perfect bullets everytime. It's a truly easy process. Take your time and do it right. Rushing, and then getting inferior results, is operator error.

Prior planning prevents piss poor performance.

Don't over think the process. Cast, coat, bake, coat, bake, shoot, happy dance.

Boolit Grand Master
    Overthinking wasn't a problem, under thinking was?
    gotta let it dry, dammit.

Oh well, it seemed to all be going too well anyway......

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Don't over think the process. Cast, coat, bake, coat, bake, shoot, happy dance.
    Yeah Baby..............
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    I was amazed at how accurate the oven settings were, the thermometer I put in the oven matched up pretty well. I adjusted the dial until the thermometer showed 400 degrees.

I need to make the coating a two day process. Coat one day, cook the next and recoat. Then cook again later.

This is NOT a process that can be sped up, that is for sure.

I am certain that what happened is undercooking. Mine spent too much time evaporating off acetone instead of heating. A longer time might help.

Lesson learned. Won't be repeating that mistake!
    Two day process is really not necessary.
    Commercial casters use such methods as they coat many hundreds of thousands per day. They force dry their products with warmed fanned air to a couple of degrees above ambient temperatures, and after they check the drying, they simply start cooking process.
    They start with first coated stuff and proceed to last coated stuff, that way it allows maximum forced air drying .
    Some home users, after allowing drying for 10-15 minutes, further warm the products with a hair dryer, to just warm, and then they are sure, that majority of drying is achieved before baking.
    I suppose for each users, casting and coating rates really depends on quantities required to be done and how fast product is required.
    Allowing to dry over night with many is a preferable option, and with others, they want product quicker.
    Creativity with the process is the key.

Banned

l told jye!

Page 84 of 742 FirstFirst ... 34747576777879808182838485868788899091929394134184584 ... LastLast