Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

This situation reoccurring about 7-10 day intervals, requiring hospitalization to control the pain.
    No infections were found despite many many blood tests, and many different cultures performed.
    All internal examinations came up clear.
    Most recent special genetic tests also came up negative.
    Glad to hear you are better. Hopefully it stays away.
    Went through that a while back, fun trip to ER. All the tests they could think of, like 14 blood tubes to be tested, stool samples (when I tried, in the house, she chased me out it smelled - and looked- so bad), echo, xray, CT etc. Nothing found until colonoscopy determined it was an (they think) Diverticulitis infection from too many peanuts - . I thought the pain was bad till I tried to pass a gall stone. That DID hurt. Another ER trip.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    I have had the Diverticulitis infection a couple of times, not fun, never was sure what caused it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Glad to hear you are better. Hopefully it stays away.
    Went through that a while back, fun trip to ER. All the tests they could think of, like 14 blood tubes to be tested, stool samples (when I tried, in the house, she chased me out it smelled - and looked- so bad), echo, xray, CT etc. Nothing found until colonoscopy determined it was an (they think) Diverticulitis infection from too many peanuts - . I thought the pain was bad till I tried to pass a gall stone. That DID hurt. Another ER trip.
    My wife had the gallstone issue, they ended up chopping it out, she was not amused with the pain it gave when it had an attack......

Diverticulitus

Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post

have had the Diverticulitis infection a couple of times, not fun, never was sure what caused it.
    Hey Popper, about those peanuts, I think the reddish hulls on the Spanish peanuts is what will do me in as far as diverticulitus. My Mother could eat no Iceberg lettuce or tomato peel. An older man in New Mexico told me back in the 70s that his people in Old Mexico used a plant called "Cat Claw" (Una de Gato -- Claws of the cat)_ for anything wrong in the intestinal tract. I had a bad case of it then and could barely step down from the side walk one step. Took "Cat Claw" pills one month and it cleared up. Now if I should get a stomach ache, Just take the pills two or three days and all is well. Pretty good results for fifty years past, huh. Just do some research on Cat Claw to see the benefits. I get mine at Wallmart.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OldBearHair View Post
    Hey Popper, about those peanuts, I think the reddish hulls on the Spanish peanuts is what will do me in as far as diverticulitus. My Mother could eat no Iceberg lettuce or tomato peel. An older man in New Mexico told me back in the 70s that his people in Old Mexico used a plant called "Cat Claw" (Una de Gato -- Claws of the cat)_ for anything wrong in the intestinal tract. I had a bad case of it then and could barely step down from the side walk one step. Took "Cat Claw" pills one month and it cleared up. Now if I should get a stomach ache, Just take the pills two or three days and all is well. Pretty good results for fifty years past, huh. Just do some research on Cat Claw to see the benefits. I get mine at Wallmart.
    How are you doing OldBearHair
    Thanks for the information on Cat Claw. Most interesting. You are lucky with being able to buy it easily in a retail store. Looks like a potential for such ailments.

Hey Mr Hi-Tek, if I didn't have brain fog I would have called you by name. Anyway , the last time that I bought Cat Claw was on EBay.
    They show several brands. Just search Cat Claw Capsules OldBearHair AKA Bill Barrick

Boolit Master
    Ok, what am I doing wrong?

Made a half-batch of tru blu, erring on the side of slightly too much acetone rather than too little.

Oven has an thermometer inside measuring air temp, plus a remote temp sensor, crimped into a hole drilled into a bare bullet.

I'm cooking for 8 minutes by the timer, paying attention to when the probe hits 360F, with about 3.5 - 4 minutes of cook time after that.

They pass the smash test with flying colors, and he coating does it's job perfectly. But they're always dark. I want them to be bright, pretty blue!

I'm pretty sure it's down to one of the following:

1. Too much coating
    2. Temp too high
    3. Cooking too long

Or some combination of those.

I actually shortened the cook time on the below batch to 6 minutes for the second coat.

In the smash test pics, it's batch 1 coat 1, then batch 1 coat 2. The next two are the second batch.

Last edited by ryanmattes; 02-06-2021 at 09:25 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmattes View Post
    Ok, what am I doing wrong?

Made a half-batch of tru blu, erring on the side of slightly too much acetone rather than too little.

Oven has an thermometer inside measuring air temp, plus a remote temp sensor, crimped into a hole drilled into a bare bullet.

I'm cooking for 8 minutes by the timer, paying attention to when the probe hits 360F, with about 3.5 - 4 minutes of cook time after that.

They pass the smash test with flying colors, and he coating does it's job perfectly. But they're always dark. I want them to be bright, pretty blue!

I'm pretty sure it's down to one of the following:

1. Too much coating
    2. Temp too high
    3. Cooking too long

Or some combination of those.

I actually shortened the cook time on the below batch to 6 minutes for the second coat.

In the smash test pics, it's batch 1 coat 1, then batch 1 coat 2. The next two are the second batch.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    My guess is 2 and 3, or combination.
    1 has some contribution, as thick coats resist heat transfer into the alloy, and coating can darken if excessive heat is being pushed through thick films.
    Finished coating thickness with 2 coats is normally about 1.5 thou.
    All Hi-Tek coatings will darken with long baking times and will turn Black or darken outside desired colour.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    My guess is 2 and 3, or combination.
    1 has some contribution, as thick coats resist heat transfer into the alloy, and coating can darken if excessive heat is being pushed through thick films.
    Finished coating thickness with 2 coats is normally about 1.5 thou.
    All Hi-Tek coatings will darken with long baking times and will turn Black or darken outside desired colour.
    You've said something, somewhere in this thread, but I'll be damned if I can find it now.

It was something like the internal temp of the bullet needs to be at 360F for 4 minutes for the coating to cure properly.

I'm setting my oven so the internal temp gauge shows right at 375F, but I know the bullets are closer to or further from the heating elements, so that temp reading isn't reliable.

I just keep erring on the side of cooking too long instead of too short, since they shoot the same as long as I don't undercook them. Guess I'll start trying some variations.

Which is better, lower temp for longer, or higher temp for shorter?

Boolit Master

You've said something, somewhere in this thread, but I'll be damned if I can find it now.

It was something like the internal temp of the bullet needs to be at 360F for 4 minutes for the coating to cure properly.

I'm setting my oven so the internal temp gauge shows right at 375F, but I know the bullets are closer to or further from the heating elements, so that temp reading isn't reliable.

I just keep erring on the side of cooking too long instead of too short, since they shoot the same as long as I don't undercook them. Guess I'll start trying some variations.

Which is better, lower temp for longer, or higher temp for shorter?

I suggest you alter one thing at a time. That way you can decide if that alteration is OK or not.
    Lower temperature for longer time is better. The coating slows down heat transfer. If heat is pushed too hard, the coating gets over heated, well before alloy is at correct temperature. If you lower set temperature by say 10C cook an extra 1 minute.
    You need to standardize how much cast you put into the oven (Weight) and how long it takes to heat it up to correct cure temperatures. I am referring to load temperature not oven temperature.
    If you under cook them, the solvent test will tell you as colour will start to come off.
    If colour is coming off, increase cook time by 1 more minute. Re test. When no more colour comes off with solvent test, that is correct time in the oven, at set temperature and with the load you have in the oven.

Boolit Master
    What is the target load temperature? The instructions say oven temp is about 195C (375F-395F), but not what temp I'm looking for from my bullet probe.

I usually do about 5lbs at a time, that's about what fills the oven. So that's a 280-ish 125gr 9mm, or only about 140-ish 255gr .45's. I also stand them up before I put them in. I know it's not necessary, but it makes me feel like they'll get more consistent heat, with similar airspace between them.

Now I just need to cast a ****load to do more testing.

Boolit Master

What is the target load temperature? The instructions say oven temp is about 195C (375F-395F), but not what temp I'm looking for from my bullet probe.

I usually do about 5lbs at a time, that's about what fills the oven. So that's a 280-ish 125gr 9mm, or only about 140-ish 255gr .45's. I also stand them up before I put them in. I know it's not necessary, but it makes me feel like they'll get more consistent heat, with similar airspace between them.

Now I just need to cast a ****load to do more testing.

The coated cast must get to 180C, and kept there or above for another 3 minutes. (I am talking Coated Cast temperatures)

If your oven is set say to 190C and is fan forced/circulated heat, with the load you place into the oven, the oven air temperature will drop.
    Depending on your thermostat, it should cycle and turn on element to compensate heat loss due to load.
    Cheaper small ovens have poor quality thermostats that can cycle plus or minus 50C from set temperatures.
    If you are measuring oven air temperature, will not be same as load temperature.

Boolit Master
    The coated cast must get to 180C, and kept there or above for another 3 minutes. (I am talking Coated Cast temperatures)
    I just went and wrote that on the instructions, so I don't end up in here asking again. I'll do my next batch based on an oven temp of 190C, wait for the probe in the slug to hit 180C, and then start a timer for 3 minutes.

Thanks for your help.

Boolit Master

I just went and wrote that on the instructions, so I don't end up in here asking again. I'll do my next batch based on an oven temp of 190C, wait for the probe in the slug to hit 180C, and then start a timer for 3 minutes.

Thanks for your help.

Great plan. If your ovens temperature control is OK, and you don't get large swing over set temperature with thermostat, you should get good results.
    Please report back afterwards. Very interested in your findings.

Boolit Master
    Colour looks about the same a I was getting with Tru Blu.
    you can bring your oven temp down to 192deg C. and when the bullet with probe gets to 185Deg C, start your 3 min bake time.

Really... Honestly... your colour is what I expect.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

If your oven is set say to 190C and is fan forced/circulated heat, with the load you place into the oven, the oven air temperature will drop.
    Depending on your thermostat, it should cycle and turn on element to compensate heat loss due to load.
    Cheaper small ovens have poor quality thermostats that can cycle plus or minus 50C from set temperatures.
    If you are measuring oven air temperature, will not be same as load temperature.

What colour was that one? looks great, live to give some of that a go to see if i can get it to come out the same and not make it go black

I need to order K15 and 122, should get some of that to test...

Well that quote didn't work as i hoped, it was the nice bright blue

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    What colour was that one? looks great, live to give some of that a go to see if i can get it to come out the same and not make it go black

I need to order K15 and 122, should get some of that to test...

Well that quote didn't work as i hoped, it was the nice bright blue
    I don't know the numbers, only black says K15 on it. The blue just says TRUBLU on the container.

If you mean this:

Those haven't been baked yet. After baking they are the darker, shinier greenish-blue above. Hard to capture what they look like with a phone camera, they're not as dark as those pictures, but have more of a greenish tint to them.

Boolit Master
    I have used a big 2,5 kW wall oven for a year now. Or is it two? Zero worries.

Anyway. My first little "toaster oven" just broke yesterday,I have been using it for drying,preheating, even curing small amounts of PC bullets. No more heat yesterday, lights yes,fan yes.

I took a look at behind the toaster, I saw the badge "1200Watts". So that was my initial problem when I started Hi Tek, I baked dummy loads of uncoated bullets, measured temperatures in and out... and when I got the coatings and baked my first bullets,they looked good but failed and I got leading.

I posted some frustrated stuff here. My oven was right , checked inside out. Yes it HAD been.

See,that cheapo oven had two elements working in the beginning when I set it up and checked everything EXCEPT measured the wattage. The power dropped to half (I measured 600) later on. Pretty much when I git my first bullers in it broke. The oven seemed to work,it just lost power mysteriously. But I also thought it was 600 from the beginning...

People,please stay clear from these cheapos.

Boolit Master
    I don't know the numbers, only black says K15 on it. The blue just says TRUBLU on the container.

If you mean this:

Those haven't been baked yet. After baking they are the darker, shinier greenish-blue above. Hard to capture what they look like with a phone camera, they're not as dark as those pictures, but have more of a greenish tint to them.

Wow, it's a lot brighter than i thought it would be before baking. Thanks for letting me know it's trublu

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    Wow, it's a lot brighter than i thought it would be before baking. Thanks for letting me know it's trublu
    That's why I was surprised at how dark they came out. From the blue they are pre-bake I expected a lighter color. I assume I can get them lighter if I cook them lower and slower, I just tend to err on the side of overcooking since they shoot the same.

Page 703 of 742 FirstFirst ... 203603653693694695696697698699700701702703704705706707708709710711712713 ... LastLast