Hello out there, I just bought gear to reload 45 colt but can not find
    COL for exact coated bullet I bought, Missouri hi tech coated 230gr
    round nose bullets to load in 45 colt. I did buy factory Remington ammo
    that is 250gr Lead R.N. that has a COL of 1.588.. The Lyman cast
    bullet 4th edition has a 230gr cast bullet with groves, also
    i am using unique powder Lyman shows 7.4 to 9.3 grains for
    the 230gr bullet the COL is 1.575, But wit groves the
    bullet would be longer should I just use the same data maybe
    7.6 grains unique and COL of 1.575, just trying to be safe!!!

Thank you for reading my post!!!

Boolit Master
    If the bullet is the same as for the 45 acp seat the bullet till about 1/16 of an inch of the upper band is above the case mouth and crimp In place.

Boolit Mold
    Thank You but the coated 230 grain bullet does not have
    any bands.

Boolit Master
    I think what matters is, given a certain powder charge and priming, how internal case volume changes with different bullets of the same weight seated to the same COL, and that depends on the length of the bullet.

Compare the length of the Lyman bullet to your coated bullet. If yours is longer, seating it to the same COL as the Lyman will decrease the internal case volume and increase pressure for a given charge. If yours is shorter, the same COL gives you more volume and less pressure.

Be advised: this is just my understanding of the theory, and is mainly useful as a starting point for load work up. In practice, whatever COL is used, start with minimal charges and carefully work up from there.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Kevin I would measure the bullets but I only have the coated bullets and the
    mold data does not give the bullet length. It was actually rcbs my error.
    I would think a cast bullet with bands that is 230 gr is going to be longer than a 230 gr
    bullet with no groves.

Boolit Master
    I am looking at the reloading pages of the Lyman Reloading Handbook, 49th edition.

45 COLT 230 grain swaged flat nosed bullet. Cartridge OAL 1.590"

Unique powder suggested start at 8.6 gr 937 fps MAX 9.6 gr 1028 fps.

Something is not right with the data source. Either old data, wrong page, or something else. Generally, if the specific bullet weight is not given, use the starting load for the next lighter weight of bullet with generally the same profile. Test groups will help you find your accuracy load. Use very small increments since the difference between min and max is sometimes only a grain or less in the smaller capacity cases.

Post #2 refers to a 45 ACP. I think with the general powder charges you are NOT talking 45 ACP but 45 Colt for a revolver.

The OP likely bought THESE.
    That said, consider it roughly the same as a LYMAN 45cal 225gr #452374 (w/o the groove)

Seat it to 1.58 OAL for the 45 COLT
    Unique 7.5 - 7.7 starting range load (mid 800s fps)

~~~~~~~ BREAK BREAK ~~~~~~~~~
    on load cited above Lyman 49th page 391.
    MIN 8.6 gr/937 fps; MAX 9.6 gr/1028 fps for 230 Cast
    I agree, Something very wrong there.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I SUGGEST more appropriate data source/load:
    Lyman4th ed Cast Bullet manual (p285)
    RCBS #452-230-CM-RNFP (230 gr) OAL 1.575"
    Unique
    START: 7.4
    MAX: 9.3
    Last edited by mehavey; 03-02-2024 at 06:36 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

Anytime you are comparing one boolit that you don't find in the published load data to one that is, and the weight of both boolits is the same or very close, you need to determine how far down in the case the base of the boolit in the published data is. To do this find the length of the boolit, measure the part in front of the case mouth, subtract this from the overall length, this tells you how far down the base is seated.

From that you can convert the unknown boolit to the same load data, as long as the base is seated to the same depth.

Ex: 255gr LRN and 255gr LSWC. Do the math and insure the base of each boolit is seated to the same depth. This (should) result in the same case volume. You should then be able to safely interpolate the load data, i.e. charge weight, from starting weight, to the maximun weight.

Keyword: same case volume. This is what you want to achieve.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 03-02-2024 at 02:57 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Mold
    WOW thank so much!!!
    I will use the data from Lyman RCBS #452-230-CM-RNFP 230 gr OAL 1.575

Boolit Master

I may be way off but a 230 gr RN is likely shorter than most bullets customarily loaded in 45 Colt. Thus loading to the near maximum spec COL will not result in an over pressure load, as long as the powder, powder burn rate and charge weight are within manufacturer’s load data limits for a 230 gr bullet.
    As a general rule I load a few dummy rounds at or near max COL to ensure they will feed through my firearm. That should be pretty apparent in OP’s revolver.
    My goal is to reduce the distance the bullet travels before engaging the rifling.
    Just my 2 cents.

Boolit Mold
    I found that the bullet is a bit too short even at a safe COL the crimp does not touch the bullet.
    I will just switch to the 250 grain bullets and sell the 230 to some one who loads for 45acp.
    We can close this thread