WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    I had a hard time finding MEK but I found something that said "MEK substitute".

They told me in the shop that it was the same as basic laquer thinner. So I passed.

Boolit Master
    I just use acetone, it has a far less potent smell than MEK does and is easier to find over here, our local hardware store (bunnings) have it in stock all the time. I had a coating that specified MEK for the reducer, boy does that stuff stink....

MEK took quite a bit of work to find, and it's more expensive than acetone.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by slide View Post
    Jumping off subject here. Joe, this one is for you. For the last several years I have used MEK instead of acetone. Works better for me. Opened a new can this morning to get ready to coat. Everything was ok for about five minutes. Then I noticed the hi-tek powder has turned into something that looked like playdo and was setting at the bottom of the bottle. Just happened to look at the MEK can and it said MEK subsitute. Never noticed it when I bought it, was too busy flirting with the young ladys that work in the store. Any ideas?
    I believe this was covered some years ago when some were having problems using MEK and Joe found they were using the product you were using which as you found was not the same. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    That is a good point, there was something in the solvent that was causing all sorts of issues, i remember those posts.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    Sadly over here, both are not allowed to be shot in the back yard. They have even made crossbows licensed as far as i was aware.

If it's fun, the government wants to take it away from us....
    God bless America, Land that I love

Boolit Master
    I use MEK for testing the coatings and Acetone for production coating.
    No issues with any of them.
    I find the paint places have the cheapest Acetone UN1090. 20 litre drum for $110 AUD
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Banned
    Sadly over here, both are not allowed to be shot in the back yard. They have even made crossbows licensed as far as i was aware.

If it's fun, the government wants to take it away from us....

OK blow gun, poison, traps?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    OK blow gun, poison, traps?
    No doubt they would be even more illegal

Thanks for the lead on acetone Trevor, i got my last 20l drum from AIM chemicals, not sure on the price but it was close to that.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by slide View Post
    Jumping off subject here. Joe, this one is for you. For the last several years I have used MEK instead of acetone. Works better for me. Opened a new can this morning to get ready to coat. Everything was ok for about five minutes. Then I noticed the hi-tek powder has turned into something that looked like playdo and was setting at the bottom of the bottle. Just happened to look at the MEK can and it said MEK subsitute. Never noticed it when I bought it, was too busy flirting with the young ladys that work in the store. Any ideas?
    Hi Slide,
    Apology for slow response. I am not surprised at the results you obtained with the substitute.
    I have said previously that MEK and Acetone both work equally. MEK stinks more and not so good to people, less available and much more expensive.
    I am aware, that MEK and Acetone are sometimes wrongly labelled by people who re-pack.
    I came across a serious problem here, where a local commercial caster had to recall some 6 tons of coated packed product.
    I was accused of all sorts of stuff, they badmouthed me to any one that would listen that my product was no good etc etc.
    Investigations, eventually revealed, that without them being aware, they purchased a solvent labelled Acetone with correct UN number, but underneath Acetone, in smaller writing was the word Reducer.
    It turned out that this mix had 60% Acetone (correct with UN number) and balance of 40% was all sorts of other materials designed to be used with two pack Automotive paints to retard setting and drying.
    This solvent totally stopped correct cure and adhesion of the Hi-Tek coatings.

Funny thing is, that for some 6 years they had no problems at all. This happened some months ago, and, to date I have had no apology for how they badmouthed me and my products. During a pro-long period of abuse I copped, I did not find out what really happened, until I asked for picture of label on the solvent drum they purchased. As soon as I read label, all became clear.
    As soon as they used Pure Acetone, all problems disappeared.

I am aware of various substitutes being available for various solvents. As most don't detail composition it is a gamble to buy and use them without extensive testing being done first. Generally these substitutes are also more costly.

To Ausglock,
    buying Acetone in 20 Litre drums at about $5.00/litre is very expensive.
    44 gallon drums are about AUSD$2.00 per litre. Simply buy a 200 litre,(44 Gallons) and decant your own and save a bundle.
    A 44 gallon drum will save about AUSD$600.00. That is not petty cash when considering volumes used.

Boolit Master

No doubt they would be even more illegal

Thanks for the lead on acetone Trevor, i got my last 20l drum from AIM chemicals, not sure on the price but it was close to that.

Tazza, try a company called REDOX Chemicals, their Acetone is in 44's but is much cheaper. It is worth the investment.

Boolit Master
    Will check with my supplier.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Thanks Joe ! I can buy MEK for around $20.00 U.S. For whatever reason the Lee 158 grain tumble lube bullet shoots the best in my guns. Go figure! Using acetone it takes four to five coats to get those tiny grooves covered. With MEK it takes two. I know the grooves don't need to be covered but it drive me nuts if not. Acetone is a dollar a gallon cheaper. A gallon will last me quite a while so using two coats compared to four I am probably coming out about the same price wise. I don't like the smell either,thats why I put on a respriator before mixing or coating.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Slide
    I've found that Hi Tek on Lee tumble lube bullets work well in my handguns, too. Was looking at some photos of targets this morning and it seems they work well in the .308. Just not quite as well the Lee 309 160 CR.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    A substitute is... a substitute. Not the real thing.

I used to make some diluted mixes (acetone + denatured alcohol) for longer swirls/groove fill up. Ended up with many bottles. Nowadays all my bottles are full strength to avoid confusion, it's easy to add a required amount of alcohol to the bowl just before you add the actual coating solution.

Now being extremely dry winter weather I add approx 4 ml alc to 10 ml of coating solution for 10 pounds of bullets. Gives me 30 seconds to swirl.

Boolit Master
    Hey Avenger 442, hope you and yours are doing ok. It is strange about the Lee bullet. I have molds from Mihec and Noe. That Lee bullet outshoots them all. Now, that is my guns. However, if you remember the test we ran with hi-tek and powdercoat the Mihec hollow base wadcutter was real close. That is a lot of the fun, trying new stuff. The learning never stops. Onward and upward!

Boolit Master
    Avenger442, sending you an e mail

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Tazza, try a company called REDOX Chemicals, their Acetone is in 44's but is much cheaper. It is worth the investment.
    I'll look them up and see what they can do, i'll need to step up my casting/copating to use more acetone

Yeah Slide still kicking here.

It is funny how you can spend more money sometimes without getting any benefit. The Lee molds are comparatively cheap. I've never been disappointed with the ones I have used. Even the old hollow point molds. But you are right that Mihec hollow base wadcutter is a good one. Nice tight groups out of the .357. I've still got their website pulled up on a tab in my computer.

Got a $133 NOE mold off of Ebay last week for $89 and free shipping. It's a very heavy hollow point or flat point bullet for the .308. You can walk into a deal sometimes. I had to go to a 1989 loading manual to find loads for it.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    I mentioned diluting Hi Tek full strenghth down to 1/4 strength with denatured alcohol,to fill grooves and hp:s.

Here are slugs that got their second TMG Gold coat like that,they were swimming and swirling for a while. Coating is everywhere. I pour the used, thinned liquid back in another bottle to be used again.

The first and third coats were normal with a little added alcohol.

Boolit Master
    Sure gives an awesome coat with being thinned down.

Those look like a real mean slug. They sure would make a mess of anything they hit.

Page 563 of 742 FirstFirst ... 63463513553554555556557558559560561562563564565566567568569570571572573613663 ... LastLast