Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Joe

I'll give you some feed back on rifles.

I have shot Hi Tek coated bullets in .223, .308, .44 and now in 45-70 rifles. All except the .44 were shot at targets 100 yards away.

Your first point of interest as far as lubricant in rifles is the lubricant running out before the bullet reaches the end of the barrel. Properly applied Hi Tek does not do this when all other considerations with casting and reloading are taken care of.

The next thing is if accuracy can be maintained using the Hi Tek. I have one five shot group out of the .308, if you discount a flyer that made it close to 2", that was under an inch using Hi Tek. That's four shots under an inch. Repeatable five shot groups are 1 1/2" in the .223 and .308 at 100 yards. Some will argue the point but, anything grouping three inches and under is good enough to hunt with. The only time I wasn't able to achieve groups out of my rifles that grouped 3" or under (the majority under 2") was when I did not adhere to some other requirement of reloading or was using iron sights. On the last one that's probably me not the gun, round or the Hi Tek. Would be happy to supply some photos as I have done with some of my post. Here is the under an inch group of four.
    Attachment 188983

Another consideration is cleanliness of the barrel after use. I also have had the experience of firing Hi Tek in my rifles and the barrel looks clean and shiny. It doesn't happen all the time but most of it is powder residue when it's dirty. On this note, I agree with Trevor that the Gold 1035 is excellent. Still using the first batch of liquid Gold 1035 I bought when I started three years ago. I know we have said it countless times but, this stuff goes a long way.

I have only two minor complaints. The first is not very significant. With some of the powder coatings I have used there will be a small mount of color come off during the rub test for curing, even though they are properly cured. Trevor said something about a little too much color in some of the powders. In any case, these bullets will deposit some of that color in the rifle barrel which cleans right out with wet and dry patches. It is not a hard deposit like some have gotten shooting improperly cured bullets. More like powder residue. The second complaint is one that I know your working on . I still don't have the Auburn University colors orange and blue so I can irritate the Alabama fans at the shooting range.

I would not call myself a professional caster coater but over all Hi Tek has been an enjoyable addition to my casting, loading and shooting hobby. And I appreciate you Aussies sharing it with us.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    Avenger.
    The colour on the paper towel is no longer an issue.
    This was the case with initial batches of the powdered HITEK.
    Joe has since tweeked the formulas and there is now no colour rub off from correctly baked coating.

I have completely swapped over from liquid Kryptonite Green to the powder. Excellent results in both coating and shooting.
    Far more consistant colour from mix batch to mix batch.
    Last edited by Ausglock; 02-26-2017 at 09:24 PM.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Grmps, regarding the antimony I seem to recall reading in, I think, the casting section of this forum that as far as we home users are concerned it is virtually impossible to separate the antimony once it's in the mix. I could be wrong here, of course, as I've read so much on this forum that it's hard to keep track, and if I'm wrong I'm happy to be corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Avenger.
    The colour on the paper towel is no longer an issue.
    This was the case with initial batches of the powdered HITEK.
    Joe has since tweeked the formulas and there is now colour rub off from correctly baked coating.

I have completely swapped over from liquid Kryptonite Green to the powder. Excellent results in both coating and shooting.
    Far more consistant colour from mix batch to mix batch.
    So is there a recall on the untweaked? I'm glad that has been corrected. The first time it happened to me I thought I didn't have them cured so I baked them longer and when it still did the rub off is when I asked about it the first time.

I have been trying to get around to ordering some Gold 1035 liquid from Donnie. Has his Gold 1035 powder been swapped out to the tweaked version?
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    I did my first bullets and is happy as a pig in mud

7.65x21 Parabellum (.30 Luger)

Superman beware!:

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    So is there a recall on the untweaked?
    There was no need for recall. some traces of colour removal is not an issue, as coating was bonded, which the intention.
    Subsequent coatings finish to seal system with second and third bakes.
    Just to be clear, the solvent test, is used to ensure that first coating, will stay bonded to alloy, and, if solvent removes coating, with solvent test, the application of second coats will act like a paint stripper, and the whole lot will come off. Colour Bleed is not indication of coating coming off.

I'm glad that has been corrected. The first time it happened to me I thought I didn't have them cured so I baked them longer and when it still did the rub off is when I asked about it the first time.

I have been trying to get around to ordering some Gold 1035 liquid from Donnie. Has his Gold 1035 powder been swapped out to the tweaked version?
    used by rein baking,
    The colour bleed occurred with the Reds. These were over loaded initially to try to overcome the browning effect of the baked resin.

Boolit Buddy
    380 Gr 50-50 WW:lead from a Hoch mould, for the .404 Jeffery

<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />image hosting<br />
    "...Some days its rocket science, and some days it just zinc..."

Joe
    The recall was a joke. Really not much of a problem. Cleans out of barrel like powder residue. The colors I had that trouble with was Dark Blue and Black 1035 I believe.

eljefeoz
    From what I can see they look good to me. Is that two or three coats? If they passed the rub test, loadem and shootem.

Boolit Master
    So is there a recall on the untweaked?
    Yes there is.
    If you send it all back to HITEK Joe, he will re-imburse you the shipping costs and send at his expense, double the amount originally purchased and send it freight free to your door. when it arrives, Joe will personally come and coat your bullets for you.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy

eljefeoz
    From what I can see they look good to me. Is that two or three coats? If they passed the rub test, loadem and shootem.
    3 coats. The loading an shooting is on the cards , this weekend ������

Yes there is.
    If you send it all back to HITEK Joe, he will re-imburse you the shipping costs and send at his expense, double the amount originally purchased and send it freight free to your door. when it arrives, Joe will personally come and coat your bullets for you.

I haven't seen the bullets Joe coats but I have seen yours. So I was wondering if you would come do some for me.

All joking aside, maybe you and Joe could come to visit Donnie sometime and let all of us coaters know so we could show up in Louisiana for some face to face fun.

Boolit Master
    Sorry. No can do.
    Joe isn't allowed into the USA.
    He had a huge fight years ago with Ronald Reagan before he was President.
    Joe and Ronny were going for the same movie part and Joe won.
    Ronnie never forgave him. So, when Ronnie was made President, his first decree was a lifetime Ban on Joe ever entering the USA.
    You probably saw Joe in the movie?
    The Creature from the Black Lagoon...Joe was the Creature. he got the part cause he didn't need any makeup........
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Sorry. No can do.
    Joe isn't allowed into the USA.
    He had a huge fight years ago with Ronald Reagan before he was President.
    Joe and Ronny were going for the same movie part and Joe won.
    Ronnie never forgave him. So, when Ronnie was made President, his first decree was a lifetime Ban on Joe ever entering the USA.
    You probably saw Joe in the movie?
    The Creature from the Black Lagoon...Joe was the Creature. he got the part cause he didn't need any makeup........
    I never knew Ronny held that kind of grudge.

So what's your excuse? Time, money, or did Obama tell you you couldn't come because you like guns?

We got rid of him (almost) in the last election you know.

Boolit Buddy
    What coating did Joe use for the 'Black' of the black lagoon ?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eljefeoz View Post
    What coating did Joe use for the 'Black' of the black lagoon ?
    Blue ring Octopus Black.
    They will not let me into the USA... My Tourettes is really bad and upsets the Snowflakes.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Getting a bit warm up there, Trev? Sounds like you've gone a bit troppo.......

Boolit Master
    Nope. it's starting to cool off. First week we haven't had anything above 35.
    A few inches of rain has been very welcome too.
    Joe isn't answering his phone. probably out running around naked in the rain
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Blue ring Octopus Black.
    They will not let me into the USA... My Tourettes is really bad and upsets the Snowflakes.

must have glowed in the dark. Will be interesting to see glow in the dark coating. I think its a good idea to keep you 2 national treasures here, or the yanks will keep you all for good

I Got a 2nd batch done with 3 coats of thin coating.They've come out better than the ones in pics above.Just finished gas checking a dozen for a go on the weekend with 65 gr 2209.
    Cheers

Boolit Mold
    Hi all I'm a new member and this is my first post .... I would like to know from any of the Aussie members where I can purchase this Product

Boolit Buddy
    welcome aboard the colour splattered fun house.
    PM Joe Ban aka the colourful chemist.
    cheers
    Last edited by eljefeoz; 02-28-2017 at 07:40 PM.

Page 419 of 742 FirstFirst ... 319369409410411412413414415416417418419420421422423424425426427428429469519 ... LastLast