Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Cassidy View Post
    Third coat of kryptonite green on some Accuratemolds .40 bullets before being baked. Second pic is the smash test. Very happy with it.
    Now that's how it's done. I keep seeing a certain YouTube channel testing Hi-Tek and he keep screwing it up horribly and claims how much better, easier and quicker powder coating is.

Someone needs to find a youtube channel that has more subscribers and send said youtuber some free samples of hi-tek to set the record straight. I can't stand seeing the crusty poorly coated bullets. It looks like he takes 300 degree bullets fresh from the moulds and pours 3X as much hi-tek as is needed and give sit a shake for about 4 minutes. Bad stuff.

Boolit Master
    I have done 1 coat of Gun Metal on 200 gr SWC for my PPQ 45 and 1911, it worked fine just wont win the pretty bullet contest.

I'm pretty sure neither the gun nor the target care what the boolit looks like!

I must give it a try next time I do some coating, out of curiosity. I'm only shooting Single Action cowboy stuff so pretty low velocity.

Boolit Master

Colours that are soon to be travelling to the US.
    VO2 and Dark Green Pearlescent.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dark Green V-2 Metallic  210617.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	199309Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VO2 210617 test result.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	199310

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    So you guys would rather drink grass rotted for ten years in your water?

I've run out of ways to test Hi Tek. I think I'm going to take something Joe said a while back and just apply one coat on some pistol bullets to see if it works. Has anyone tried this?
    Avenger,
    A single coat was tried many years ago and worked, however cosmetic appearance was not great. Buyers want pretty bullets as well as functional.
    My suggestion is that a single coat should work with cast that have high bearing surface area. The expansion of alloy during shooting, would transfer load over a large surface area.
    I am reluctant to advise that a single coat would be similarly successful with the alloys with many mini grooves, or having smaller bearing surface.
    As the actual bearing surface contact with barrel would be much reduced, this may cause more deformation taking place and more of a possibility of Lead being exposed.
    The 2 coat system was mainly adopted, to make product more appealing to the buyer, and provided a more uniform colour and coverage.
    The range of shapes and styles you guys have in US are far greater than what we have here, so it is difficult to predict results.
    The more experienced cast coaters had success with single coat, but finished product did have lesser smooth finishes. They worked just fine.

Banned
    G'Day Joe, like the looks of Dark Green Pearlescent! Is it metallic?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    G'Day Joe, like the looks of Dark Green Pearlescent! Is it metallic?
    GRMPS
    Yes it is "Metallic", this was previously requested as a colour on the blog, (cant remember who).

Banned
    Thanks, Joe. I'll need to check on Donnie's site. Looks like you just got off work, Have a great weekend.

Boolit Master
    Thanks, Joe. I'll need to check on Donnie's site. Looks like you just got off work, Have a great weekend.
    Work??? Work???? Him???? Hahahahahahaha.. He sits in his Lab all day brewing moonshine and making coating. He is retired... He doesn't work.....
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Work??? Work???? Him???? Hahahahahahaha.. He sits in his Lab all day brewing moonshine and making coating. He is retired... He doesn't work.....
    LoL, I want to hear how life is a year after you retire someday!
    Be careful what you wish for!

Boolit Buddy
    It will be about 6-8 weeks before that Dark Green Pearlescent arrives here.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Colours that are soon to be travelling to the US.
    VO2 and Dark Green Pearlescent.

Name:	Dark Green V-2 Metallic  210617.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	199309Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VO2 210617 test result.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	199310
    There goes my allowance again.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Banned
    Trevor, he hangs out with you! Some people would consider that work

Thanks, Donnie, Would you please post when the Dark Green Pearlescent comes in.

Boolit Master
    Honestly???
    Neither of these float my boat.
    But I am spoilt with the Kryptonite green...
    Ran 300 rounds of 38 Super Major P/F through the Trubor today.
    125SWC and 125 Conicals. 2 coats of the KG. Comp is clean and lead free.
    Velocity was around the 1370fps mark.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by benellinut View Post
    LoL, I want to hear how life is a year after you retire someday!
    benellinut,
    Ausglock will never retire, he is trying to conquer the world with Kryptonite....

Did about 300 165TC 40SW yesterday using the liquid green from a few years back that's been in the fridge - mixed a new batch yesterday. Passes smash & wipe but color is copper-brown. Sized fine. Don't really care about the color but hard to check the wipe test. Got to heat up the pot and make more.
    Whatever!

Had time to go to the range yesterday. Been raining almost every day here. Shot about 20 rounds of the .308 hollow points coated with the Yellow and Orange. Also 10 rounds of the Lee C309 160 R coated with Bronze 500. Targets at 100 yards. Haven't had time to look at the barrel yet but performance didn't indicate any leading. Also took foot per second and standard deviation readings but, again, haven't had time to sit down and look at them.

I am trying a set of Remington cases that I have uniformed the primer pockets and deburred flash holes. These were loaded with the Lee C309 same load that produces typical 1 1/2" groups with this bullet in this gun. For some reason the groups were more in the 2 1/2 - 3" range. I think I'm going to have to adjust the load after deburring the flash hole. Standard deviation were lower, so speeds were closer to the same. Does anyone have experience with this? Is it common for the flaring of the deburred flash hole to cause a change in the burn of the powder, pressure, (or as Glenn would say the RPM) etc causing the groups to spread?

Best group was 4 of the hollow points in just under an inch (all four almost touching in a vertical line) with the fifth making the group slightly over 1 1/2". These hollow points punch holes like a paper hole punch. Reminds me of the SWC pistol bullets.
    Last edited by Avenger442; 07-11-2017 at 10:05 PM. Reason: added info
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Did about 300 165TC 40SW yesterday using the liquid green from a few years back that's been in the fridge - mixed a new batch yesterday. Passes smash & wipe but color is copper-brown. Sized fine. Don't really care about the color but hard to check the wipe test. Got to heat up the pot and make more.
    Popper,
    You reproduced what I had found with a retention sample that I had stored for several years.
    It sat on a shelf (no fridge) in a plastic bottle. It was a Dark green coating originally. When I looked at it, it was now a brown chocolate colour and thick as Treacle.
    After dilution, coating mixture was used and we found similar results to what you found.
    That is the peculiarity with this polymer system. Over baking is also OK but colour does suffer.
    Attached is an over bake picture of a dark green coating.Over Cooked coating.pdf

Boolit Master

Popper,
    Here is another colour, Bronze 500 with normal cook time and over cooked for about 20 minutes.
    You can see effects,

Name:	Bronze 500 US Powdered system.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	199589

Name:	Bronze500 cooked 20 minutes.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	199590
    Last edited by HI-TEK; 07-13-2017 at 07:00 AM.

Page 447 of 742 FirstFirst ... 347397437438439440441442443444445446447448449450451452453454455456457497547 ... LastLast