WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tiger-stripe-free-vector-background.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	243905
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post

Name:	tiger-stripe-free-vector-background.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	243905
    hehehe, the challenge is set!

The thing is, different looks have been done, Ausglock made deadpool ones with red and black, looked pretty sweet. I wonder how close to this could be done with a tweak to the application? Even if you have the 2-3 coats then the final coat for the "look" so it's fine to be patchy.

Caught a possum in a Hav-A-Hart trap. He was hung down in the angled part, his teeth caught in the wire, one fang broken out, and nose all bloody. Turned it loose after prying it's teeth loose. Three nights later ....he got caught again.... same way exactly and same bloody nose. They seem to never learn....It was told to me as a kid one time that if you put a possum and a tomcat in a box together, the possum wins the battle. It seems that a lot of cruel things happened long ago.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    hehehe, the challenge is set!

The thing is, different looks have been done, Ausglock made deadpool ones with red and black, looked pretty sweet. I wonder how close to this could be done with a tweak to the application? Even if you have the 2-3 coats then the final coat for the "look" so it's fine to be patchy.
    Leave it with me....Will have a play at tiger stripe over the weekend. gold and black should be close enough??
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Wow, that sure shows they aren't real smart.

The possums we have aren't real large, i don't think they would over power a tomcat, but you never do know.

HMMMM CBE no longer will take the lube grooves out of a new mold, so I am looking for a 145-150 grain 358 4 cav mold with no lube grooves and either semi wad cutter or low profile round nose.

Anyone got a direction I can go in?
    Mike.
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post
    HMMMM CBE no longer will take the lube grooves out of a new mold, so I am looking for a 145-150 grain 358 4 cav mold with no lube grooves and either semi wad cutter or low profile round nose.

Anyone got a direction I can go in?
    Mike.
    I recon you could run a reamer into a 125gr Lee mould removing the lube grooves and get near That, I did it to a Lyman 150gr semi wad cutter and got a 170gr semi wad cutter which shoots, Regards Stephen well.

Boolit Master
    I know someone that would love pink or purple......

I don't know how Joe hasn't gone completely mad from developing these colours, he has mentioned the issues he has had. What new colours can we request to test his grey matter?
    Someone who would love pink or purple? Your not trying to drop a hint that you are coming out are you Tazza?. HEHE. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cohen View Post
    Someone who would love pink or purple? Your not trying to drop a hint that you are coming out are you Tazza?. HEHE. Regards Stephen
    Ooh mean, i need to be less friendly it seems, ti gey my man card back

Boolit Master
    Ooh mean, i need to be less friendly it seems, ti gey my man card back
    Have to admit my granddaughter would love pink bullets, but firing them from my guns may get me ti gey man card at my club. Regards Stephen

I had a run through Accurate molds web site, by the time i had what I wanted I was looking at $220usd, around $300 aud including freight.

Not the price I thought it would be.
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master
    Well... you will stick with brass. I use Tom's Ali molds. they are great.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

I know someone that would love pink or purple......

I don't know how Joe hasn't gone completely mad from developing these colours, he has mentioned the issues he has had. What new colours can we request to test his grey matter?
    Tazza,
    the grey matter is all dried up. I am crazy enough, to keep trying to make impossible colours.
    New ones, made up for testing last week, may in fact produce a pink of sorts if plan works. There may also be a Purple, if all is well according to plan.
    There is already a "cammo" colour that was made overseas using two or three colours.
    I am trying for candy cane colour, so it spins faster due to the red stripes...lol...lol.

Boolit Master
    More is more. Just got this UOW confirmed working good, LBT 425 grain plinker @ 1100 fps. TMG Gold.

Name:	IMG_20190619_191651_348.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	243945
    Last edited by Petander; 06-21-2019 at 03:29 PM. Reason: UOW = Universal Opossum Weapon

Boolit Buddy
    I have been struggling with this coating for some time and am in need of help. Mine pass the wipe test but fail the smash test. My next to last batch actually passed the smash test initially, but they leaded badly. I re-did the smash test and the coating flaked off the ones I tried. Loading in 9mm and a few others.

What I tried and my process is as follows:
    I use freshly casted bullets with wheel weight alloy. I start the coating process as soon as they air cool. I tried the 20 gram to 100 ml mix and I have tired 20 gram to 120 ml. I use a syringe to measure 1ml per pound of bullets. I do it in 5 lb batches and I have gone as low as 4 ml to 5 lb of bullets. I weight the powder with my powder scale and weight the bullets on a postal scale. I use a glass measuring cup to measure the acetone. I let the mixed solution set for 30 min to an hour shaking it every so often. After applying the solution to the bullets I let then dry. I have used a fan and even let them sit overnight before baking. I use a convection toaster over and use an oven thermometer to verify temperature. when the over is warming up I place my first tray of bullets on top to warm up. Baking time has varied from 15 min once the oven thermometer reaches 400 degrees to around 45 min. I have varied the temperature from 400 degrees to 420 degrees. After they cool I do the wipe test and smash test. I haven't had any issues with the first coat passing these tests. I then recoat and usually bake the second coat the next day. Some fail the smash test at this point and so far the ones that pass will fail when I check before I load them (maybe a month later). I read about zinc contamination and I tried soaking in acid over night. Washed them the next day and let dry in front of a fan or overnight before I start the coating process. Still no luck. Colors are black, gold, and red. Tried two different brands of acetone.

Usually failure on the smash test is due to coating not dry or too thick a coat. Have had both with my bullets. But reading you description you don't seem to have those problems. Are you sizing after first coat? I ask this because you said the first coat didn't fail the smash test. Usually when the first coat doesn't fail you have easier success with the other coats sticking. Photo of a failed smash test might help. Do it with the bullet laying on a white paper or cloth and the photo.

There are other reasons for leading. What else have you tried in the gun that is leading?

What do you other guys think?
    Last edited by Avenger442; 06-21-2019 at 10:55 PM.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    Sounds like you are doing everything OK.
    I'd be concerned with your alloy...
    do a trial of 1 coat on fresh cast using 20gms to 100ml.
    Bake as normal.
    Let cool and do a smash test.
    Wait for a few days and then re-do the smash test on the same batch of bullets.
    See if the second smash fails.
    If it does, your alloy is the problem.
    Leading is usually due to the bullet being undersize for the bore.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    I have always used the high metal content colours since I use the coating for rifle and hotter pistol loads eg 460SW at top end loads. I have always been happy with the results obtained as are many of my friends who use my bullets. A few weeks back Joe sent me some Candy Apple Red and I must say it is the smoothest and shiniest colour I have ever used, I have found it to be what I would consider the perfect colour for beginners as it just seems impossible to stuff it up. I have noticed the colour variations one can get by over baking until I realized it baked several minutes faster that other coatings in my oven. I have not as yet tested the coating in my firearms but I am sure all will be as it should. I have to say Candy Apple was the perfect name for it as it has that candy glaze colour. I love this colour Joe. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    looks good... doesn't it...
    But wait for the new 122 Pink metallic. Mixed it today... baking tomorrow.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Tazza,
    the grey matter is all dried up. I am crazy enough, to keep trying to make impossible colours.
    New ones, made up for testing last week, may in fact produce a pink of sorts if plan works. There may also be a Purple, if all is well according to plan.
    There is already a "cammo" colour that was made overseas using two or three colours.
    I am trying for candy cane colour, so it spins faster due to the red stripes...lol...lol.
    Need something to keep you busy in the shed!

Racing stripes have to make it go faster, works for cars, right?

Page 595 of 742 FirstFirst ... 95495545585586587588589590591592593594595596597598599600601602603604605645695 ... LastLast