Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 80 of 742 FirstFirst ... 30707172737475767778798081828384858687888990130180580 ... LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,600 of 14834

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sierra1911 View Post
    Thank you Ausglock for all of the information and experimentation. Only with your sage advice did my first attempt at coating produce 1,140 golden boolits, some of which I will dispatch downrange tomorrow.
    No worries. Glad to help.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Grand Master

sierra1911, I have found that an oven temperature of 400 degrees is right on the edge of causing the coating to become brittle. I find 375 degrees works much better. This also will protect the coating from overheating if your oven decides to raise the temperature on its own, which has happened to me. This is why I am going to have PID controllers for my 3 ovens instead of just one like now. Parts are on the slow boat from Chine, literally. LOL.
    Ausglock, I'll have to check with Donnie to see if he has some of the superhard resin as I shoot mostly rifles and have already done some testing.

Boolit Master
    Leadman. He wouldn't have any yet. It is still being tested.
    I was going to test more today, But my eldest Son was taken to hospital with chest pains, so I took the wife for a quick trip to the hospital in Lismore. (About 2 hours from us).
    So testing next Sunday...
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

picked up 1500 158gr .357 SWCs at a swap meet this weekend for a song and a dance. The boolets look fine but the lubing is anything but acceptable.

Can marginally lubed boolets be coated or are clean/fresh boolets required?

Boolit Grand Master
    Degrease them well and they can be coated. Grease or wax prevent proper bonding of the coating to the bullet.
    Last edited by btroj; 10-27-2013 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Typo

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    picked up 1500 158gr .357 SWCs at a swap meet this weekend for a song and a dance. The boolets look fine but the lubing is anything but acceptable.

Can marginally lubed boolets be coated or are clean/fresh boolets required?
    I have tried a few times, but get inconsistent results.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    I'd heat them up in your oven at lube melt temperature and melt off most of the lube. Then give them a good acetone bath, several times. I had good results doing this.

Boolit Master
    I imagine a good boil in water would have near all lube float to top.

Boolit Mold
    Just received my order of red copper and black coating from Byron at Gateway Bullets and cant wait to get going! He was very helpful in guiding my through the process... Good guy! He also said he is having problems with his web site. So if you need something and the site is not working, email him. gatewaybullets@yahoo.com or call 636-629-5555
    Last edited by Rylos; 10-28-2013 at 01:48 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I have tried several times to remove the wax lube and coat with HT. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I tried many types of degreasers but was thinking that maybe after the boolits look clean just put them in the oven for 10 minutes at 375 degrees to burn off any remaining residue.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    I have tried several times to remove the wax lube and coat with HT. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I tried many types of degreasers but was thinking that maybe after the boolits look clean just put them in the oven for 10 minutes at 375 degrees to burn off any remaining residue.
    Leadman
    Mineral Turps probably is as good as you can get to dissolve the waxy type lubes and is cheap.
    It is a simple case of soaking, and then drain and spray rinsing through a mesh to wash off any solvent/wax mixture is possibly best way to treat.
    However, your efforts may be not worth the trouble.
    I am thinking, that wax lubed cast projectiles had been already sized, and so the grainy surfaces are now polished smooth and without grainy surfaces being available, leaves very little surfaces for any coating to get a foothold and stick, as sizing process seals surfaces so it is very difficult to coat without grit blasting or some other way of roughening up surfaces first.
    If you solvent wash and burn off residues, it will still leave very slick surface which is not ideal to coat.
    Sorry, may be a remelt and recast may be easiest and cheapest option and save lots of headaches.

Boolit Buddy
    Joe ya beat me to it!
    Gatewaybullets.com

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gateway Bullets View Post
    Joe ya beat me to it!
    Sorry, next time I will wait a while lol.

Is your website up and running since your suppliers server has been hit?
    I would really like to see what you have,

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Sorry, next time I will wait a while lol.

Is your website up and running since your suppliers server has been hit?
    I would really like to see what you have,
    You haven't got time to surf around the net. get up to your shed and keep mixing coatings. Take your love potion with you.

I'm going to coat a few 100 with the blue/green superhard resin 2. size after the first coat and then apply a second coat to see how they shoot. I find 1 coating then sizing then 2nd coating works great on flat base bullets that may have a but of over-cast on the base.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Grand Master

Hi-Tek, I have given up on trying to clean the boolits of the wax lube then coating. I only have 2,000 or 3,000 left anyway so not a big deal to just remelt of shoot them as is.
    The best sucess I had was when I used Purple Power soap as a final cleaner of the boolits. This is a very strong alkyl soap.
    Is any of the Super Hard resin headed to the sates soon? I would like to try this in the rifles to see how it works.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    Hi-Tek, I have given up on trying to clean the boolits of the wax lube then coating. I only have 2,000 or 3,000 left anyway so not a big deal to just remelt of shoot them as is.
    The best sucess I had was when I used Purple Power soap as a final cleaner of the boolits. This is a very strong alkyl soap.
    Is any of the Super Hard resin headed to the sates soon? I would like to try this in the rifles to see how it works.
    Leadman,
    Please do not use any strong Alkali type cleaners with Lead or alloys.
    It can react with Lead and alloys to start dissolve Lead into the Alkali, which is very unhealthy especially if you get it on your skin.

With super hard resins, we were testing coatings on 92:6:2 alloys.
    We have sort of measured hardness of baked coatings against standard coatings. It was determined, and appeared, that the new trial resins were about 20% harder, as hardness tester had less penetration into alloy that was coated with the new test resins.
    Smash test and solvent tests seem OK. I am awaiting test results with various guns, and am hoping to get results blogged.
    It is hoped, that the additional hardness may help, with using with Cast alloys for some Rifle ammo.
    Plans are under way to send some to the US, but even if we send today, it will take weeks by sea to get there.
    It is a shame, that Rifle use here is not as prolific as in the US, as it would be much easier to get local tests done first, and then report results.

Boolit Master
    HI-TEK. I have a great Idea.
    You buy me an Omark M44 308 target rifle ( a few available on www.usedguns.com.au) A Leupold 33x scope and rings and a 30 calibre mold and I'll do some rifle coating testing for ya....
    Last edited by Ausglock; 10-29-2013 at 04:23 PM.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    HI-TEK. I have a great Idea.
    You buy me an Omark M44 308 target rifle ( a few available on www.usedguns.com.au) A Leopold 33x scope and rings and a 30 calibre mold and I'll do some rifle coating testing for ya....
    Great Idea.
    Where do I get a licence to buy such stuff???

Then, I would have every anti gun lobbyist on my case, and pester me no end, and I would have to spend more of my time in explaining why I want such a gun.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Great Idea.
    Where do I get a licence to buy such stuff???

Then, I would have every anti gun lobbyist on my case, and pester me no end, and I would have to spend more of my time in explaining why I want such a gun.
    Did someone say Hi-Tek is buying guns for us to test his rifle coating? Where do I submit my request? Lol
    Gatewaybullets.com

Boolit Master
    send email to BourbonJoe@Im****facedallthetime.com.au
    Attach a photo of a bottle of bourbon and the gun you want.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Page 80 of 742 FirstFirst ... 30707172737475767778798081828384858687888990130180580 ... LastLast