RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    Glad you are back Grem!
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by slide View Post
    Glad you are back Grem!
    Same from me also. You have been missed, that gives it to Ausglock.
    He has been out of control for some time and needs a few locals to moderate him some. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Any day above ground is a good day.
    That's one of my favourite sayings, Trev. Gremlin, I don't know you, mate, but Aussies being the masters of understatement it sounds like you've been put through the wringer! From one Aussie (I have a piece of paper that says I'm one ) to another I'm glad that you're ok and still in the land of the living.

On a more mundane note, eljefeoz kindly sent me a sample of Texas Tea to try, which I did today. A slightly weird colour, in my opinion, it's as if it can't quite make up it's mind what it wants to be! Goes on nicely and has a nice smooth finish, I figure if I gave it a third coat it would probably get a deeper colour but two is plenty for my needs. That makes about 6,000 .38's and about 1,000 for the .44-40 so far. Waiting for the fire ban season to end so I can smelt some more range scrap.

Boolit Master
    Texas Tea is nice, but doesn't do it for me.
    Coated, baked 2000 125SWC tonight.
    Will bake the second coat and size tomorrow night.Running low on my own supply.
    Too busy selling them.

Grem. Give me a cooee if ya need a yarn. You got me dog n bone no.?
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=Ausglock;4294781]Texas Tea is nice, but doesn't do it for me.

For those who have not seen Texas Tea attached is a picture
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Texas Tea.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	179.4 KB 
ID:	214547

Boolit Buddy
    Hi Grem.
    This one is for you.
    145 RCBS Sil 2 coats, gas checked and sized to 0.285. Alloy was range lead BHN 14. Win LR primer, reformado 7x57 cases from 30-06. About twice fired. Zastava Model 70 with a Boyd’s plain walnut stock wearing a Burris E11. 3-9 scope. Benched at 100 y. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5BE9C1C9-E81E-4FFC-B956-95754F87CADC.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	214549
    Last edited by eljefeoz; 02-19-2018 at 08:33 AM.
    "...Some days its rocket science, and some days it just zinc..."

Boolit Buddy
    Coating is Bronze 502. About 6 months old.
    The barrel had a few wipes after the string of 3 and all that came out is in the pic. Which refuses to get uploaded. Will try again.
    Last edited by eljefeoz; 02-19-2018 at 08:39 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by eljefeoz View Post
    Coating is Bronze 502. About 6 months old.
    The barrel had a few wipes after the string of 3 and all that came out is in the pic. Which refuses to get uploaded. Will try again.
    The picture needs to be a JPG type. I found that other formats don't load.

Boolit Buddy
    Previous pic is also from the same lot...no change in format. Straight off the phone.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by eljefeoz View Post
    Previous pic is also from the same lot...no change in format. Straight off the phone.
    may be file size is too large

Make sure the pic is the right way up, don't forget we're in Oz

Thanks for the pic, Joe, that colour looks pretty close to what I got (allowing for picture/monitor variations).

[QUOTE=eljefeoz;4294822]Hi Grem.
    Alloy was range lead BHN 14.

Was having this conversation the other day with a few guys over a coldie, re-range lead.
    My personal opinion RL is not much better than SOWW. Why I think that is due to the fact that Jacketed projectiles are filled with a soft lead, relying on the copper to do all the work. Copper washed are slightly harder as the wash coating is just a lube. Finally coated stuff, well it "should" be 14-16 but who knows for sure.
    The above reasons is why I dont like to presume RL pickup is any better than SOWW.

Am open to opinions on this. Some who have used RL in pistol are reporting leading, without further testing, it seems to support a overall drop in BHN from what is socially accepted RL to be.
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Grem. Give me a cooee if ya need a yarn. You got me dog n bone no.?
    Dont think I have, will check my PM backlisting.
    In Jan could have done with that lifeline..

Look on the bright side, I got to finish my Fiction/adventure book and finally get it published. Now if i can sell 5-6K of that I be back on my feet LOL.

Boolit Master
    Range lead here is only 10 to 12 BHN.
    A lot of .22 stuff in with the hard cast. Not much jacketed. More plated stuff also being used now.
    Takes too much time and the cost of propane doesn't warrant the effort.
    Clean 2,6,92 is easier.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

My range scrap is from a pistol range (jacketed not allowed) and there's not much .22 in my stuff as it falls through my sieve! I gave some to a guy in exchange for some pure lead and he tested it at 12-15 BHN. I'm pretty sure most of it is from Spartan Projectiles, a manufacturer here in SA. Of course, this could vary depending on the range and what "brand" people are using.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    My range scrap is from a pistol range (jacketed not allowed) and there's not much .22 in my stuff as it falls through my sieve! I gave some to a guy in exchange for some pure lead and he tested it at 12-15 BHN. I'm pretty sure most of it is from Spartan Projectiles, a manufacturer here in SA. Of course, this could vary depending on the range and what "brand" people are using.

This one was run thru a Lee hardness tester.
    I’m awaiting some hardball from Northern smelters and an RCBS 55 Gr .224 mould for some speed tests with Texas Tea.

Being in the auto industry I get buckets of WW for free, or $10 sorted from one place. RS is something I dont chase anymore, too much "unknown" garbage in it and our berms as Trevor will know is gravel. Makes lead mining not only hazardous but a major PIA as well.

Range lead here is only 10 to 12 BHN.
    A lot of .22 stuff in with the hard cast. Not much jacketed. More plated stuff also being used now.
    Takes too much time and the cost of propane doesn't warrant the effort.
    Clean 2,6,92 is easier.
    got a price for the 9262 from a small foundry down in the city...the best he can do is 3.00usd a pound, a minimum of 500lbs order is asked.....not sure what a correct price would be. north of the border the largest foundry in the area is asking 4.14 cdn a pound. seems high to me .

then i've looked at rotometal prices and sure enough it is less on a DIY basis. i can get pure antimony and i already have access to tin ; however, my project got cold showered when i've learned antimony melts at over 1000 degree.

Boolit Master
    Table salt melts at about 1475 F, but will dissolve in room temperature water. I haven't done it myself, but have been told that Sb will dissolve in Pb below the melting point of pure Sb. The temps, times, amount dissolved and any toxicity and other safety issues, though, I don't know about.
    Last edited by kevin c; 02-22-2018 at 12:28 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by glockfan View Post
    got a price for the 9262 from a small foundry down in the city...the best he can do is 3.00usd a pound, a minimum of 500lbs order is asked.....not sure what a correct price would be. north of the border the largest foundry in the area is asking 4.14 cdn a pound. seems high to me .

then i've looked at rotometal prices and sure enough it is less on a DIY basis. i can get pure antimony and i already have access to tin ; however, my project got cold showered when i've learned antimony melts at over 1000 degree.
    Some foundries offer pre-alloyed Lead containing high levels Antimony, for home casters in a small bullion.
    I would not recommend any one trying to mix in Antimony into Lead. I have been advised, that it requires about 750-800C to mix/melt the Antimony into the Lead.
    This temperature causes Lead to form lots of vapours, and is not good for the health at all.

Page 481 of 742 FirstFirst ... 381431471472473474475476477478479480481482483484485486487488489490491531581 ... LastLast