Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    I think he is hoping to use the motor and slap a gear box to it and mount it over the top of where the handle pivots, or at least that was the initial plan, interesting to see how it goes and how the planned mods go. If all goes well, it may be a cheaper option than a star and a plug an play setup.

Not sure if i just did it wrong, but the aqua lube i used left white marks on my projectiles, i did use old metho, so that could have been my problem. With the smooth as silk carbide sizing dies i got my paws on last week from M.A.D, i want to see how my 158 swc go through it. They have been a pain in the past with lee sizer dies, needing to be done by hand as they were that tight. I have done 2 days of casting 158swc, i just need to hi-tek them now and see how they go through the press.

THEN we need to wait 6 or more months before we can flick them down range

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=Tazza;4871809]

Not sure if i just did it wrong, but the aqua lube i used left white marks on my projectiles, i did use old metho, so that could have been my problem.

Tazza, I suspect you used far too much Aqualube. The dry residue should be barely noticeable and is more than adequate. If you have white blotches you used far too much and is wasted as excess will be removed with sizing.

Automate a sizing press!! What a novel idea!!
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master
    Back in your box, Grem.....lol
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    After playing with the Lee APP, I feel the biggest headache will be the feeder. it has "issues" with feeding bullets or Cases. not 100% reliable.
    But... If it were to have a feeder bar similar to the Star bullet feeder, I think it would be a goer for sure.
    Already started drawing parts up.

Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    Well, the "old" clutch motors are big, very heavy and in my opinion not suited to anything except a sewing machine. If you're talking about modern servo motors you can buy them off ebay for around Au$100, but again I'm not sure if they're that practical for this usage. Which is why I'm curious.
    Well, i just want the motor. Just an experiment ....

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post
    Automate a sizing press!! What a novel idea!!
    The thought of manually sizing 15,000 odd projectiles was rather daunting...... Its not like i can import someone from China and pay them $70USD a week to do it for me..... Arrrgggg i still have to cast them though.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    I think he is hoping to use the motor and slap a gear box to it and mount it over the top of where the handle pivots, or at least that was the initial plan, interesting to see how it goes and how the planned mods go. If all goes well, it may be a cheaper option than a star and a plug an play setup.

Not sure if i just did it wrong, but the aqua lube i used left white marks on my projectiles, i did use old metho, so that could have been my problem. With the smooth as silk carbide sizing dies i got my paws on last week from M.A.D, i want to see how my 158 swc go through it. They have been a pain in the past with lee sizer dies, needing to be done by hand as they were that tight. I have done 2 days of casting 158swc, i just need to hi-tek them now and see how they go through the press.

THEN we need to wait 6 or more months before we can flick them down range
    Video footage , hows it running with the carbide dies?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M.A.D View Post
    Video footage , hows it running with the carbide dies?
    Sadly i haven't had a chance to do more than the 15 for a test, most of the week i have been messing with my mum's drieway and finishing off the wiring that was laid down I spent Wednesday melting down the scrap with the caster going i got on Friday, Thursday i blended it with lino (essentially a second clean of the scrap) casting machine going as well, today i had a bit of a rest, stacking up about 1.5 tonne of ingots and cleaning up the dross from the melt.

We have heaps of down time to cast and size will we can use them again if it's not all up and running, i'll size them for ya, i know a bloke that makes pretty good sizing dies we can use

Tomorrow, i hope to do some hi-tek coating, i have about 25k to do, i'm running out of paint tins to put them in (about 25kg), if i use big buckets, where i fill them, they stay till i size and package 'em.

Boolit Master
    Boohoo, princess....harden up...
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Bub

G'day from Downunder

G'day Ausglock , after you mix the aqualube with the metho how do you use it ? do you put it in a spray bottle and spritz it on the cast boolits or do you put the bullets in a tub and pour it in with them ? thank in advance for any help you can provide .

Regards Paul .

Boolit Master
    G'day Paul. spray it on very lightly..
    It's a bit like PECKS PASTE... a little goes a LOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGGGG way
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy

I have been using the Red Copper for about 4 years now on several handgun calibers and 223 <2100fps. Is there a newer more preferred “color model “ for higher velocity?

Where can I find a list of current versions? If it’s in this thread, it’s near impossible to find due to the size.
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelgunConvert View Post
    I have been using the Red Copper for about 4 years now on several handgun calibers and 223 <2100fps. Is there a newer more preferred “color model “ for higher velocity?

Where can I find a list of current versions? If it’s in this thread, it’s near impossible to find due to the size.
    Honestly, I'd stay with the Red Copper. Gold 1035 has had good reviews for rifle loads. I use Kryptonite Green for everything. these 3 would be the pick.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

So hoping at some stage this year I can use these in our yearly woodchop

Gold 1035

Boolit Master
    I wish the website had pictures of actual coated bullets for all the colors, or the names listed on the color squares. You have to add it to your cart to see what the name of the color is.

What’s the difference between the two varieties of black?
    Last edited by Elkins45; 04-12-2020 at 12:30 AM.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master

Blacks

Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post

What’s the difference between the two varieties of black?
    There are in fact 3 black coatings. Old Black which has a very dark faint brown tinge to it, then there is Texas Tea, Black with Gold Glitter, and there is Black K-15 which is intensely black. If I knew how to load the pictures I have, it would be very easy to identify each.
    May be Ausglock has them and can load them up as he is expert with this stuff with loading onto this web site.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    G'day Paul. spray it on very lightly..
    It's a bit like PECKS PASTE... a little goes a LOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGGGG way
    Ausglock your showing your age, I have not seen that **** for years. I used to tell Mum the little blue spots were fish eyes and she stopped eating it. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelgunConvert View Post

I don't think any colour is better than the other for velocity, I found all I tried to be great to at least 2,400fps. I did however shoot my best groups with the gold. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BBMF1 View Post
    G'day from Downunder

G'day Ausglock , after you mix the aqualube with the metho how do you use it ? do you put it in a spray bottle and spritz it on the cast boolits or do you put the bullets in a tub and pour it in with them ? thank in advance for any help you can provide .

Regards Paul .
    Ausglock isn't kidding that a little dab will do ya. I kept getting clogs in the pump spray, so once I cleared it I measured the volume sprayed. Now I just add 0.75 ml with a syringe to 250 coated and baked boolits and tumble them to mix before sizing. Works great.