RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee Precision

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    The STI become very popular after our second buy back {aka confiscation} I have never held one as I surrendered my pistol licence when I went into hospital with kidney cancer, then I survived. I loved my 1911s and must try a STI one day, by the way those are nice guns. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cohen View Post
    The STI become very popular after our second buy back {aka confiscation} I have never held one as I surrendered my pistol licence when I went into hospital with kidney cancer, then I survived. I loved my 1911s and must try a STI one day, by the way those are nice guns. Regards Stephen
    Good to hear you beat it and are still with us.

I like the 1911 STIs, the only thing i didn't like was our 10 round limit, getting a full mag to lock in on a closed slide could be a struggle. The 2011 takes care of this with it's double stack mags.

You do tend to pay more for the STI name, but i feel that's acceptable for what you get.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    One day... when I get motivated and have time.
    I will make a video of how to mix, apply and bake the HITEK powdered coating.
    So even people that can't read instructions, can understand the process. That is assuming their eyes are not painted on.
    Waaaaaaaay back in 2015 I did this video :- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svu6oHcd7d0

Now if you substitute Powder Hi Tek for the early 2-part liquid mix, the application is still the same.

20grm/120ml first coat
    20grm/110ml second coat

200deg 10.30 mins

Sooooo **** easy......

Mike.
    Last edited by Gremlin460; 02-12-2019 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Trev shouted at me.
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master
    Fix ya Typo, Grem.
    20gms..... NOT 2 Gms.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post
    Waaaaaaaay back in 2015 I did this video :- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svu6oHcd7d0

Now if you substitute Powder Hi Tek for the early 2-part liquid mix, the application is still the same.

20g/120ml first coat
    20g/110ml second coat

200deg 10.30 mins

Sooooo **** easy......

Mike.
    Mike, you are 100% correct, it is easy.

Only thing that seems to be missed is that 99.9% failures with adhesion starts with first coat not being dried enough.

First coat, irrespective of coating mix blend composition, requires TOTAL drying before baking.

Applying stronger brews, or over adding coating mixture, simply slows down drying, and will need warm air drying to assist complete drying.
    Thick first coats traps moisture, simple as that.
    Trapped moisture simply wont dry quickly and completely, and needs extra effort to remove trapped moisture before baking success is achieved.

Boolit Master
    Gremlin Thanks for the video!! It's a blast from the past. That is relevant today.
    I never thought of using a tube for filling the final measuring device.

Quote Originally Posted by kbstenberg View Post
    Gremlin Thanks for the video!! It's a blast from the past. That is relevant today.
    I never thought of using a tube for filling the final measuring device.
    Not a problem but beware of the fountain fairy!!..

Take empty bottle, tip in 20 grams of powder. Drop in 2-3 bad casts (admit it, we all get one or two). Then add 110-120 mls acetone (nice clean stuff that's been sealed).
    Screw on the top of the bottle .. BUT DO NOT INSERT THE TUBE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE BOTTLE <re-read, twice!.
    As the powder mixes it off-gasses slightly, If you push the tube to the bottom of the bottle then shake the mixture, you will have an instant fairy fountain.
    Coating everywhere! Don't ask how I know this!

I leave the pickup tube almost to the top of the bottle.. the **** fairy has visited once too often.
    Let the mix stand say 30 mins or more, give it a shake as you walk past setting the drying area up. THEN when ready push tube to bottom of bottle and off you go.
    Last edited by Gremlin460; 02-12-2019 at 04:05 AM.
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master

Gremlin PM sent

Boolit Master
    So very true. I get the same pressure build up when coating woth a closed container. Shake shake, carefully open to let the pressure out then seal and finish shaking, then dump out

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    So very true. I get the same pressure build up when coating woth a closed container. Shake shake, carefully open to let the pressure out then seal and finish shaking, then dump out

You and Gremlin are correct.
    The Hi-Tek powdered coatings, when being dissolved, generate some heat and warm the solvent. In a sealed air tight container, this heating/warming is what pressurises that container, as you are also warming/heating air contained in the jar as well.
    When you had the tube inside the liquid mixture, the pressure build up due to warming, simply squirted out the liquid mixture.
    When mixing in air tight container , careful slow opening of lid, (not whilst shaking) must be done, to slowly release any pressure build up.
    To stop any liquid spray coming out of the lid whilst opening, it is easy to put a cloth over lid top whilst screwing open the lid.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post
    Not a problem but beware of the fountain fairy!!..

Take empty bottle, tip in 20 grams of powder. Drop in 2-3 bad casts (admit it, we all get one or two). Then add 110-120 mls acetone (nice clean stuff that's been sealed).
    Screw on the top of the bottle .. BUT DO NOT INSERT THE TUBE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE BOTTLE <re-read, twice!.
    As the powder mixes it off-gasses slightly, If you push the tube to the bottom of the bottle then shake the mixture, you will have an instant fairy fountain.
    Coating everywhere! Don't ask how I know this!

I leave the pickup tube almost to the top of the bottle.. the **** fairy has visited once too often.
    Let the mix stand say 30 mins or more, give it a shake as you walk past setting the drying area up. THEN when ready push tube to the bottom of bottle and off you go.
    The squirting fairy is enough to put a damper on your coating experience. Joe and Grem are so right about the pressure build-up. I've Thai-Dyed several shirts and pants with HiTek before I learned my lesson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    The squirting fairy is enough to put a damper on your coating experience. Joe and Grem are so right about the pressure build-up. I've Thai-Dyed several shirts and pants with HiTek before I learned my lesson

I have been lucky enough to not be sprayed with Hi-Tek per se, yet i did manage to knock over some that I was just starting to dissolve, 40 grams of powder and a bout 50 ml of acetone was in before i managed to knock it over and hit the floor, so it was the consistency of paint and VERY black, my shoes will never be pretty again.

Those images are so very true, thankfully Brisbane has escaped the insane heat so far this year that has been down south, some places i heard hit just under 50c (122f for our American friends)

Boolit Master

We have had 42-47C here for 4 weeks, and overnight temperatures of 30C. Had out air conditioner running day and night, and we had to buy and have installed a second one. I am dreading our new power bill, and may have to pass around a hat...lol...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    We have had 42-47C here for 4 weeks, and overnight temperatures of 30C. Had out air conditioner running day and night, and we had to buy and have installed a second one. I am dreading our new power bill, and may have to pass around a hat...lol...
    Jeez..... That is not fun at all, i'm complaining about our day times mid 30s and night temps of 25ish

I hope you get some cooler weather soon, with heat like that, you are confined to your house.

I fear your power bill too, but you have to do what you have to do really I had a hidden water leak, so i'm dreading my bill shock too, i fear it will be a few hundred bucks......

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    Jeez..... That is not fun at all, i'm complaining about our day times mid 30s and night temps of 25ish

I hope you get some cooler weather soon, with heat like that, you are confined to your house.

I fear your power bill too, but you have to do what you have to do really I had a hidden water leak, so i'm dreading my bill shock too, i fear it will be a few hundred bucks......
    I had to read that bit about the hidden water leak twice, I was going to suggest you see my doctor hehehe. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cohen View Post
    I had to read that bit about the hidden water leak twice, I was going to suggest you see my doctor hehehe. Regards Stephen
    hahaha thankfully no doctor is required for the leakage i had

Boolit Master
    42.9 here today.. 28 tomorrow
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    42.9 here today.. 28 tomorrow

44 here today, but now we have had a southerly and now it is overcast and temps dropped 10 degrees.. hope it stays that way, as we cant work as shed is at about 50C, (all steel). Many are upset with resulting slow deliveries, but I am now trying to catch up, by working at night when conditions are almost OK.

Boolit Master
    Hopefully we missed the worst of it.

We had 36, muggy as, time to find some ac.
    I'm sure people will understand that weather slows some things down. Snow storms in the USA, heat wave here....

Banned
    44c = 111.2 f

Page 560 of 742 FirstFirst ... 60460510550551552553554555556557558559560561562563564565566567568569570610660 ... LastLast