WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    That is a good article.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    Will try Joe. But this stuff is in completely dried chunks in the bottle. I may have to soak it in acetone for a while to soften before it will mix.
    Avenger
    How did you end up with re dissolving experiment?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by slide View Post
    That is a good article.
    Yes Slide, it is a great write up.
    Had a look at Chey Cast and they have a large range of coated cast.
    They seem to be able to satisfy most calibres.

I had talked with local cowboy clubs, and their ammo is basically soft Lead, with a huge lube groove to fill with tons of waxy grease type lube. They actually want lots of smoke, and grease in bore, They said, that the grease residues remaining are continued to be pushed out with each shot, which left more lube behind for next shot.
    After all activity, they clean their guns.

Boolit Master
    To each their own! I guess the smoke is part of the experience.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Man
    I am not a cowboy action shooter but I think the author of that article was more concerned with lead particulates than with the smoke. I guess if you wanted a little bit of smoke from smokeless rounds you could fill the lube groove with soft lube on the HT coated bullets. Black powder of course would still smoke regardless..

One thing I noted in the article was that even shooting the HT bullets behind black powder... The guns stayed cleaner than normal and he was able to finish the match without stopping to clean the guns... this to me would be a huge advantage.

lazs

I agree, lazs, he obviously wanted to reduce any possible issues with actually handling lead, the other benefits of using Hi-Tek were a bonus. As for smoke, most I know use smokeless powder because of the convenience, it's not necessary to clean the guns every time they're used compared to BP - they have to be cleaned after use or you're asking for trouble and if cartridges aren't soaked straight away you've got more problems. You would still need to lube the grooves, even with Hi-Tek, if shooting BP otherwise it's going to foul barrels real quick. There's nothing quite like shooting BP , it's just the cleaning that is a pain!

Boolit Man
    yeah... one thing I notice is that the guns are just all around cleaner including what I thought was powder residue. I can put away a gun I have shot with HT bullets for one session and not feel guilty... a little wipe with a CLP rag. a little grease on the rails of the semi autos.

lazs

Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Avenger
    How did you end up with re dissolving experiment?
    We have been out of town for a while so have not got to it yet. Wife needed a break before she starts a new schedule at work. They have put her on twelve hour shifts starting Thursday.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    We have been out of town for a while so have not got to it yet. Wife needed a break before she starts a new schedule at work. They have put her on twelve hour shifts starting Thursday.
    Sounds like her new boss is a slave driver! I hope you both enjoyed the much needed time away.

I did some testing with homemade black powder and some hollow point 44s coated with Hi Tek in magnum shells. For it, I used a little home made grease on the butt of the bullet and a waxed thin cardboard wad between grease and powder. For those that don't know, I didn't, the grease helps keep the black powder fowling soft in the barrel so that it will come out easily when cleaned. They shot amazingly well considering the whole homemade aspect. Will not do it again. Cleaning a gun after black powder use is just not my thing. It didn't just fowl the barrel of the Ruger. Pretty much had to take gun apart to clean everything. I'm spoiled to not cleaning until after a few hundred rounds.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    Sounds like her new boss is a slave driver! I hope you both enjoyed the much needed time away.
    Yeah. She is a nurse working for Ascension Health Care System. I used to work 16 hour shifts six days at a steel mill back when I was in my twenties. Know I couldn't do it now. Had lots of money with no time to spend it. She will be working 12 hours four days one week then three twelves then something else the next week. It's a crazy schedule that I can't even see how it will benefit the patient. A tired worker is one that makes mistakes. We will see how it works out. She is eligible for early retirement next month. But she loves nursing and I don't know if I can talk her into completely retiring.

Boolit Master
    I figured it must have been health care with those hours.

I'm with you on thinking long shifts are silly, a tired nurse or doctor makes mistakes, why not have more smaller shifts on rotation? it just seems stupid to me to keep one person there longer that on on their feet all day.

When young, you can do longer hours and still be ok. We had that in the mining areas a few years ago when we were exporting loads of resources. The money was insane, you work your guts out for a few years, then you can come home and buy a house.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    When young, you can do longer hours and still be ok. We had that in the mining areas a few years ago when we were exporting loads of resources. The money was insane, you work your guts out for a few years, then you can come home and buy a house.
    Tazza,
    I used to work shift work, 12 hour days, 6 days on day shift, 6am to 6pm, , then 3 days off, the 6 days night shift 6pm to 6 am.
    It really was not worth the money, and damage to health and family relationships, no week ends, not going out, as I slept trying to catch up to my out of whack timeclock., and not to mention eating breakfast at 6pm, and lunch at midnight one week, and back to normal following week.
    The 3 days off always was not on any week end, so friends and family were at work.
    Looking back I would never do it again.

Boolit Master
    I can see it really messing with your body clock. If the pay is stupidly high and you don't have family commitments that could be stressed by it, it's doable, mostly when young. I know if i tried doing that now, I'd be divorced in short order as I'd never be there, apparently we haven't been married long enough for her not to want me around

A fellow shooter is a cop, he does shift work as he gets paid quite a bit more, but you are doing nights, then days then afternoons, there is no normality to the times. He has young kids, but he and his wife make it work thankfully. He manages to get the needed sleep in and is just fine with it, that sort of thing messes with me too much.

Tazza, I worked shifts for a while - 8 hr shifts, 7 morning, 7 afternoons and 7 nights. Occasionally worked double shift if someone was sick. We had a young family then (2 girls) and the shiftwork actually worked out well for us, as it gave me time to do things with the kids that others couldn't do. Not real great on Christmas Day, though, when I had to work but we managed.
    All research shows that night shift is the big killer, if you can get on and stay on it for awhile it's not so bad as your body can adjust, it's when you're on an on/off/on night shift roster that the problems occur.

Avenger, yeah, if you don't use lube with BP you're going to have problems real quick. With my cap and ball revolver I use "cookies" - little discs of wax lube that go between the powder and the ball. I actually coated some of the balls with Hi-Tek once, didn't do anything useful, of course but they sure looked pretty! If I used BP with my cartridge revolvers I'd probably put cookies between the powder and the boolit, but it would slow reloading considerably.

Boolit Master
    I did 18 years of 8hr shifts on 5days rotation. 00:00 to 0800, 0800 to 1600, 1600 to 00:00. and Permanent 5hrs Overtime of a saturday
    Started when I was 18. Virtually no life. Cost me one Marriage.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Hefty price to pay I'd go insane with having no life outside work.

That's why we shoot isn't it? Gives us something to get us out of the house and talking **** with fellow shooters, is is that just me?

Nope, not just you, Tazza. After I'd retired (actually made redundant, on paper at least, which was fine by me) and I got interested in BP shooting my wife encouraged me to do it - more to get me out of the house, I think! She wouldn't have had any idea where it would lead, (or me, for that matter) nor does she know how many thousands of $$ it's cost. One thing led to another, of course, and Single Action shooting meant reloading (I was already casting) and the final piece of the puzzle was discovering Hi-Tek coating.
    Now, if I can just learn to hit what I'm aiming at.......

Boolit Master
    Some places come up with redundancy to legally push people out, someone my wife worked with was being a pain at her job, so they made her position redundant to legally get he out of the place.

Glad your wife encouraged you, thankfully i started shooting before i met mine, so the majority of my shooting gear was already bought. The amount she spends on her hobbies far out weighs what i have spent on all the gear i have now.

HA I'm still trying to learn the hitting what i'm aiming for, when you work it out, do share

Boolit Buddy
    Signs of life, finally!
    I've scored 20kg of lino and had the 55gr RCBS .223 mould sprue plate milled a bit to help with the boolits.All i'm waiting for is a lee push thru sizer and lets load up some Hitek coated 55gr...
    Cheers
    "...Some days its rocket science, and some days it just zinc..."

Page 502 of 742 FirstFirst ... 2402452492493494495496497498499500501502503504505506507508509510511512552602 ... LastLast