WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    Joe, sent you a pm
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

It has got to be simple. I've been doing it.

Ditto on a little extra acetone doesn't hurt.

Joe
    Still trying to dissolve the bigger chunks of the completely dried coating. You were right. I should have ground it up first before adding acetone.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    It has got to be simple. I've been doing it.

Ditto on a little extra acetone doesn't hurt.

Joe
    Still trying to dissolve the bigger chunks of the completely dried coating. You were right. I should have ground it up first before adding acetone.
    avenger.what i do is i dump 20 ml of acetone in my bucket to disolve the dry'ed product left from the last session .then i simply dump my batch of boolit and add the normal amount of product without taking into account the 20ml of acetone i've droped for the dissolution of the dry product left. it works like normally.

i'm so happy with hi tek that i know i will never bother with any other method. i even tried 3 layer of hi tek,and although it's absolutely NOT NEEDED AT ALL,i like the armor i'm getting for major 40 S&W loads......i do it because hi tek isn't time consuming at all,and it is so easy to work...much more than PC in my opinion.

hi tek is the best invention since sliced bread seriously LOL!!

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=hi tek is the best invention since sliced bread seriously LOL!![/QUOTE]

I see a sponsorship deal in your future

Lol!!!

Boolit Master
    Joe has 16 new colours on the way to me for testing...
    Watch this space...
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Attachment 223748

Now that I learned how to clean my contaminated bullets with HCL,getting excellent surface for Hi-Tek... I had to get a Marlin to use these bullets.

Any others here doing 45-70 Hi-Tek?

Attachment 223749

I have a long nice history with cast & 1895 but haven't had a Marlin for some years.
    Last edited by Petander; 07-16-2018 at 06:01 AM.

Boolit Master

new colours

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Joe has 16 new colours on the way to me for testing...
    Watch this space...
    Well, I was asked by many for all sorts of different colours, Grey, Pink, different Reds, overlay masking colour, and others.
    After starting with making up various coloured brews, I found myself with so many new colours.

Ausglock must be rubbing his hands with delight.
    If only some of these work the way they look, it will be a very pleasing result.

At one stage, I was contemplating making a coating or coatings, that could be used to clean up barrels from various deposits by simply shooting a few "cleaning projectiles", that is coated with modified Hi-Tek coatings.
    It was envisaged, that this was a way to reduce the amount of chemical cleaners used to clean out barrels, and reduce or eliminate electrolytic corrosion when trying to remove deposited Copper fouling with liquid cleaners.
    My theory is, that shooting of such coated projectiles, would in fact act to clean evenly all along the barrel, there also would be a reduction of erosion/corrosion in specific areas in the barrel as being done with chemical cleaners, and bore would be even and clean at full length..

It is a thought that goes back many years, but I never went further with the idea to make a product.

Give me a yell when you have finished the Australian Flag coating Joe. Thanks Sir. Last time we talked you was having trouble with the southern cross placement.
    Also I found if I tumble coated too long I had more stars on one than the other.
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

any color involving metal flakes-broken glass would be a huge hype i guess.

also,i would be all over something like this.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post
    Give me a yell when you have finished the Australian Flag coating Joe. Thanks Sir. Last time we talked you was having trouble with the southern cross placement.
    Also I found if I tumble coated too long I had more stars on one than the other.

Thanks Grem
    I found the stars to be not vey cooperative, and they went to where they wanted. I gave up at the end as they were in control not I....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by glockfan View Post
    any color involving metal flakes-broken glass would be a huge hype i guess.

also,i would be all over something like this.

Your wish is my command.
    Funny you should bring this up now, as I am trying to produce a Cameo finish with several coloured options.

Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Your wish is my command.
    Funny you should bring this up now, as I am trying to produce a Cameo finish with several coloured options.
    i remember the days where many cars were sporting custom metal flakes paint jobs. i think it's beautyfull,and for sure boolits colored with metal flakes inserted in would be quite something different. i bet people would be all over it. now,i'm pretty sure this would add greatly to the production costs,and i don't even know if incorporating metal flakes to your hi tek fabrication process is feasable .

Boolit Master
    Are there any differences in shooting performance between the colors? I’m referring to the powder version. I’m using bronze now and wonder if I would see any difference in performance if I switched to a different color?
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post

Any others here doing 45-70 Hi-Tek?

Attachment 223749

Attachment 223761

I have been using Hi Tek in this Marlin 1895CB with the intent of using it to hunt. I am still working on a load I'm happy with. It's a good hunting gun but not a target rifle yet.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    Are there any differences in shooting performance between the colors? I’m referring to the powder version. I’m using bronze now and wonder if I would see any difference in performance if I switched to a different color?
    Not really. The metallics shoot the same. Bronze, Red copper, K Green etc etc..
    The non metallics just don't look as good (in my opinion) but perform the same.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Banned
    I thought Joe said the metallics had a better heat resistance and were better suited for higher velocities.

Boolit Master

Metallics

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    I thought Joe said the metallics had a better heat resistance and were better suited for higher velocities.

Grmps, you are correct.
    The materials used for making coatings all reflect heat and tolerate a great deal of pressure.
    The metallic modification with these coatings so far has appeared to provide slightly better heat reflecting ability. So it is theorised, that because the short duration of cast inside bore, any extra heat generated by high velocity applications, using the extra additives in the coatings should cope with an increased heat/load..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    Yeah. Forgot about that.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post

At one stage, I was contemplating making a coating or coatings, that could be used to clean up barrels from various deposits by simply shooting a few "cleaning projectiles", that is coated with modified Hi-Tek coatings.
    Very interesting.

Abrasive mixed in...? I just cleaned an old (nice) Beretta S57E 20 gauge shotgun for three days. Made me think of something similar. And I have a new Marlin to be lapped...

Page 514 of 742 FirstFirst ... 14414464504505506507508509510511512513514515516517518519520521522523524564614 ... LastLast