Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
    Shot the blackout with 2/3/95 alloy water dropped after coating (has anyone tested to see how much hardness this adds?????)
    tiny bit of leading at the muzzle after 30 rounds.
    Chased it with some very hard 180s lubed and checked that a buddy made and the barrel was pretty much totally shiny after that.
    Guess hard alloy is the way to go. Next batch will be harder for sure.
    How hard was the alloy out of the blackout and how hard were you pushing them? Gas checks? I found out with Hi Tek in my 308 that you can't do anything that violates the physics of loading. Put some 11 or 12 BHN (forgot which) through it with no gas check near max load of H4895 and got lead in about the last inch of the barrel. What I'm saying is Hi Tek will not let you put pressure on softer bullets that they will not normally take. Probably could have shot the bullets with reduced loads. Never tried.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    How hard was the alloy out of the blackout and how hard were you pushing them? Gas checks? I found out with Hi Tek in my 308 that you can't do anything that violates the physics of loading. Put some 11 or 12 BHN (forgot which) through it with no gas check near max load of H4895 and got lead in about the last inch of the barrel. What I'm saying is Hi Tek will not let you put pressure on softer bullets that they will not normally take. Probably could have shot the bullets with reduced loads. Never tried.
    I think you're right when taking caster twists. I originally though of it compared to 357 in a lever gun. 170ish grain bullet at 36,000 psi moving a good 1700 fps worked fine for that alloy.
    Same should be true for blackout right? Well I want thinking that a twist twice as fast would come into play.
    Hard alloy for fast twist for sure.
    Mill be running harder stuff from now on. If hi-tek works I'll stick with it. If check and lube works then I'll do that.

Michael
    I haven't found a case where I did what I would do with another lube that didn't work with Hi Tek. There are some on this thread that are using powder coating for some of the bullets they shoot just because they find it works better for them with that bullet and that gun. The guys using the 1 in 8 through 1 in 9 twist 223 AR guns are running some hard bullets. I have shot some, as memory serves, 21 BHN 223 out of my bolt gun 1 in 10 twist with good results. I don't shoot my AR that much so I have not tried the Hi Tek in it. Quite frankly I don't like casting those small bullets. And I'm not exactly sure why? Anyway I seem to be headed into the large diameter bullet zone with twist in the slower RPM.

If you guys want to go deep sometime read some of the stuff on RPM and pressure on this forum, if you haven't already. Larry , forgot his last name I think it's Gibson, has done a lot of typing concerning the RPM theory and it's effect on lead. There are others that have done as much on the pressure aspect. And there seems to be a disagreement as to which is the most important to the survival of the lead. This place is a store house of so much information that it is hard to digest and use it all.

I never realized about four years ago when I started reloading that it was such an interesting and complicated thing to cast a bullet and then get it to perform the way you wanted it to. Or achieve a high degree of performance. Reminds me of the first time I went golfing with some friends from work. That's a lot tougher than it looks , too. I just wanted to set myself up so I didn't have to buy ammo to hunt and shoot paper with. Now I'm chasing consistent under one inch groups at 100 yards with all of my guns. Why? Again, I'm not exactly sure. Two inch groups would be sufficient for any hunting I would do. Maybe it's like a golfer who is trying for that hole in one or it's like mountain climbing; to see if I can.

End of pontification.
    Last edited by Avenger442; 03-23-2017 at 03:42 PM. Reason: correction
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master

Michael
    I haven't found a case where I did what I would do with another lube that didn't work with Hi Tek. There are some on this thread that are using powder coating for some of the bullets they shoot just because they find it works better for them with that bullet and that gun. The guys using the 1 in 8 through 1 in 9 twist 223 AR guns are running some hard bullets. I have shot some, as memory serves, 21 BHN 223 out of my bolt gun 1 in 10 twist with good results. I don't shoot my AR that much so I have not tried the Hi Tek in it. Quite frankly I don't like casting those small bullets. And I'm not exactly sure why? Anyway I seem to be headed into the large diameter bullet zone with twist in the slower RPM.

If you guys want to go deep sometime read some of the stuff on RPM and pressure on this forum, if you haven't already. Larry , forgot his last name I think it's Gibson, has done a lot of typing concerning the RPM theory and it's effect on lead. There are others that have done as much on the pressure aspect. And there seems to be a disagreement as to which is the most important to the survival of the lead. This place is a store house of so much information that it is hard to digest and use it all.

I never realized about four years ago when I started reloading that it was such an interesting and complicated thing to cast a bullet and then get it to perform the way you wanted it to. Or achieve a high degree of performance. Reminds me of the first time I went golfing with some friends from work. That's a lot tougher than it looks , too. I just wanted to set myself up so I didn't have to buy ammo to hunt and shoot paper with. Now I'm chasing consistent under one inch groups at 100 yards with all of my guns. Why? Again, I'm not exactly sure. Two inch groups would be sufficient for any hunting I would do. Maybe it's like a golfer who is trying for that hole in one or it's like mountain climbing; to see if I can.

End of pontification.
    It wouldn't be any fun if it all worked out right the first time.
    I'm going to say from my experience that there is a balance between RPM and Hardness for sure. They go hand in hand.... I was loading subsonic and getting leading with the blackout with 1/1.5/97.5 alloy water dropped. I can run that all with a good 50% more pressure in the 357 lever gun thousands of rounds with no issues.
    Step the twist to 1:8 and pressure down 30% and it leads. Its all a big balancing act i guess.
    Fun to learn for sure! Now i'll have to go back and read up on RPMs

Boolit Master
    Spangler you hit the nail on the head. I have had more fun learning how to use the hi-tek. I am 65 now and don't take things too serious like I did when I was younger. I still wonder sometimes if I really know how to use it but I am getting better. I am in Oklahoma and was up at 6:00 AM and started casting so I could try some new ideas. Sometimes they work and sometime they don't. No biggy! Back in the pot they go nothing wasted but a little coating. Doesn't bother me a bit. It is now 10:30 PM and just got through with the coating session.( I don't try to break any speed records). It was a good day! Now I am going to bed. Goodnight
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by slide View Post
    Spangler you hit the nail on the head. I have had more fun learning how to use the hi-tek. I am 65 now and don't take things too serious like I did when I was younger. I still wonder sometimes if I really know how to use it but I am getting better. I am in Oklahoma and was up at 6:00 AM and started casting so I could try some new ideas. Sometimes they work and sometime they don't. No biggy! Back in the pot they go nothing wasted but a little coating. Doesn't bother me a bit. It is now 10:30 PM and just got through with the coating session.( I don't try to break any speed records). It was a good day! Now I am going to bed. Goodnight

Sounds like a hell of a day to me!

Boolit Master
    Will do. We were there to tour Branson and look at College of the Ozarks for our granddaughters. May go back over that way some day. Your down near Springfield right?
    Yes, just north of Springfield.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    You can use the 500+ as sizing lube, but it is not Water based and more expensive..
    The sizing lube is the Aqualube 5000 product.

My pump bottle of Aqualube 5000 will not spraying any more, I have only used about 1/4th of it and have kept the clear cap on the bottle.

Anyone know how can I get it to spray again?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    My pump bottle of Aqualube 5000 will not spraying any more, I have only used about 1/4th of it and have kept the clear cap on the bottle.

Anyone know how can I get it to spray again?
    Take the pump part and flush it with water. The small filter on the bottom of the pickup tube gets blocked as does the nozzle.
    I hold the pump head under water in a bucket and pump it til it works again.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Ok so these things look great. My problem is that after 4 coats they still fail the rub test. 400 degrees dried for a day in between. hmmmm?
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Boolit Mold

First crack at it tonight. Black cherry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Christensen View Post
    Ok so these things look great. My problem is that after 4 coats they still fail the rub test. 400 degrees dried for a day in between. hmmmm?
    Shoot them.See how they go.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Susan Island do any 45/70 @ 300gn?
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master
    Yep.......how many you want?
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Well Hello Joe,
    Just wondering, why you would coat 4 times?
    If you are getting any colour bleed with test, generally it is due to under baking and will happen with every coat.
    Coating several times, does not fix the colour bleed.
    Which colour are you using? It looks like Bronze 502 or Bronze 530.
    Joe

Boolit Master
    Well maybe I'm misunderstanding the directions but it said if they fail the rub test start over again. So I just coated them again. That is red copper.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

2/3/95 alloy water dropped They won't be quite as hard as WD from the mould. I tried a hard aloy 145gr pushed hard and got leading, haven't been back on that H.T. yet, PC works well for now.
    CoO is a nice but very liberal school (at least the headmaster was when I talked to her a few years back). They do have a pretty good Ag/tech school program.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Well maybe I'm misunderstanding the directions but it said if they fail the rub test start over again. So I just coated them again. That is red copper.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    If it rubs off down to bare lead then that's a problem. Sometimes I get a little color on my rag but they shoot fine otherwise.

Boolit Master
    If the coating has been baked it has to be melted down again. Like some said shoot some of them before making final decision.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    2/3/95 alloy water dropped They won't be quite as hard as WD from the mould. I tried a hard aloy 145gr pushed hard and got leading, haven't been back on that H.T. yet, PC works well for now.
    CoO is a nice but very liberal school (at least the headmaster was when I talked to her a few years back). They do have a pretty good Ag/tech school program.
    thanks man!

Page 425 of 742 FirstFirst ... 325375415416417418419420421422423424425426427428429430431432433434435475525 ... LastLast