Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Buddy
    I had a quick look for your susan island bullets ausglock. They look schmick in that green. I also noticed in the search that black widow does a 180gr rn, advertised as 9mm/38. Could you even squeeze them into a 9mm chamber ? Surely a slug that size is 38/357 only ?

Boolit Master
    Joe posts it internationally, so i see no reason why not. It is in powder form, so not dangerous goods.

Boolit Master
    I run .357 projectiles in 9mm and .38 super that run a .356 chamber without issues.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatch View Post
    I had a quick look for your susan island bullets ausglock. They look schmick in that green. I also noticed in the search that black widow does a 180gr rn, advertised as 9mm/38. Could you even squeeze them into a 9mm chamber ? Surely a slug that size is 38/357 only ?
    The largest you can safely get in a 9mm case is 160gn RN. Due to the taper on the case, the bullet bulges the sidewalls about 2/3 of the way down. I have run a few 168ZK in 9mm. They are a conical flat point. But accuracy in 9mm was horrible that was with 2gn AS-30.

Most 9mm bullets over 150gn Are made for use in 357Sig for IPSC Std Div major loads. We do a 185gn FP and it shoots great in 357Sig.

I have a heap of Lee 6 cavity hand molds with handles here that I want to move on. There are 3x 6 cav 124gn RN and 3x 120gn Conical molds as well as a heap of others in 40,44 and 45. If you want to see them, flick me a PM and I can email photos to you. I haven't used them for like 5 years. just have them in storage.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot a 122 flat point in my shadow 2. Pretty accurate. Pretty easy to shoot 2 inch groups at 25m with a red dot on it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    The largest you can safely get in a 9mm case is 160gn RN. Due to the taper on the case, the bullet bulges the sidewalls about 2/3 of the way down. I have run a few 168ZK in 9mm. They are a conical flat point. But accuracy in 9mm was horrible that was with 2gn AS-30.

Most 9mm bullets over 150gn Are made for use in 357Sig for IPSC Std Div major loads. We do a 185gn FP and it shoots great in 357Sig.

I have a heap of Lee 6 cavity hand molds with handles here that I want to move on. There are 3x 6 cav 124gn RN and 3x 120gn Conical molds as well as a heap of others in 40,44 and 45. If you want to see them, flick me a PM and I can email photos to you. I haven't used them for like 5 years. just have them in storage.
    What would you let one of those 124 rn go for ?

Boolit Master
    The 124 lee ones are good, i have 2. Used them for the first time in 15 odd years 2 weeks ago to test bhn of a lead blend. Now they will no doubt sit in storage for another 15 years

Boolit Master
    With this setup...

I could run 3 Six cavity molds at once without stopping.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Many of the IPSC guys up here tend to like heavy boolits in the 9 for major. They shoot a lot of Magma 147 gr Hi-Tek coated.

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gatch View Post
    I dont shoot with the riff-raff at belmont, shoot down the GCPC (where else!) , I stuff 358 down a stainless tube 200 300 times a week with no issues.
    Just brought a huge bucket of WW home Tazza... just thought I'd mention that in passing :P
    Also be home this Sat if you not shootin Tazz.

Gatch if you ever around Waterford way give us a hoy , I can give you a couple of handfulls of 9mm in Bronze or red copper to try...

Caio for now
    Mike
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    Joe posts it internationally, so i see no reason why not. It is in powder form, so not dangerous goods.
    Awesome now who will be willing to post pics of the colors we don’t have here in the USA? I will talk with my friends and see how to purchase the coating and get it shipped to them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post
    I dont shoot with the riff-raff at belmont, shoot down the GCPC (where else!) , I stuff 358 down a stainless tube 200 300 times a week with no issues.
    Just brought a huge bucket of WW home Tazza... just thought I'd mention that in passing :P
    Also be home this Sat if you not shootin Tazz.

Gatch if you ever around Waterford way give us a hoy , I can give you a couple of handfulls of 9mm in Bronze or red copper to try...

Caio for now
    Mike
    Oh, you lead tease!

A few months ago, i got my paws on a few drums of Lino, i just need some decently priced lead to blend it with, the scrappies are bandits for sheet lead. The range scrap was free, but a lot of work to collect and blend with a little lino to harden it up, but did i mention it was free? it only took me a few days to process.....

Belmont is where all the COOL kids play or more to the point, where I started and just can't be bothered finding another club..... It's close to me, and for the disciplines i shoot, i like the people, other ones that i will not mention, are stuck up and i won't shoot with them.

Boolit Master
    Taz. I have a metric schitload of pure lead. Don't use it anymore.
    25Kg pigs all the way down to 1Lb ingots.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    I assume you used to blend your own before you started buying the "real stuff" ?

We may have to have a chat when i actually have some spare cash, last Saturday, we signed papers for a new place to live, so gotta sort out a loan and get my old joint sold gonna be so very poor but will actually have room to do all my casting at home, not at my parentals place.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    With this setup...

I could run 3 Six cavity molds at once without stopping.
    I thought about doing the same piggyback thing at one point but realized that running one pot down low, I could add alloy and switch off to a second pot without having to piggyback. BY the time I drain the second pot the first one is back up to temp. A little different way to skin the cat. 2 pots is a must when running multiple 6 bangers.

Just curious about these large quantities of WWs you chaps are talking about - how much is usable lead? I gave up on WW a few years ago as the last lot I got had very little lead in it, most were iron or zinc weights.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought 30kg from a scrap dealer to try it out. Lost not even 10% of that with removing the zinc/steel weights and clips..

Boolit Master
    Most of the ones i get every so often are lead, there are the odd zinc ones, but not many at all. There is the odd steel one as well, but easily spotted.

If the price is right it doesn't bother me if i get some that are not suitable.

I've been purchasing WW from the same scrap yard since I started using them. He lets me sort through the weights at the yard. So what I pay for is only lead WW. Back when I first started they were about 10-15% unusable steel or zinc weights. The last couple of trips that has increased to about 60% and those big truck weights have almost disappeared. Here the environmentalist are pushing to get rid of any lead. And the manufacturers are complying. Even the ammo manufacturers are making bullets with no lead. So, here, it is a get it while you can situation. Even range lead may disappear. Probably will have plenty for my lifetime. But future of casting with less expensive materials looks bad.

Pure lead is still available but beginning to go away, too.

I have about 200 pounds of WW ingots stored and about 100 pounds of soft lead. May have to increase that soft sometime soon. And I'm going to smelt as much WW as I can lay my hands on.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Bub
    Ok, now here's a connundrum....

I'm a commercial ammunition manufacturer. (I'm also a serial lurker in this thread) Typically we load either J-word of electroplated CMJ bullets that we source from a manufacturer locally. We have bought in a reasonable quantity of Joe's Hi Tek powder some time ago to coat some of our own castings in more obscure calibers that dont require high volumes, and went through the whole learning curve. We coat using foundry lead (92-8), commercial acetone, and a commercial convection oven.
    (Please bear with the long post, I'm trying to give enough detail to limit questions later)
    Our initial attempts worked OK- for personal use- but the resultant product, although passing all the tests perfectly, smoked a bit more than CMJs and left a chemical smell in the air after firing. I stopped fiddling with it and carried on shipping in the plated bullets. Late last year, I followed the adventures of Petander here and his acid wash and decided to revisit Hi Tek.

Cast bullets were soaked overnight in undiluted swimming pool HC acid, and boy did they react- foul smoke coming out of a boiling bucket! The resulting bullets were a dark powdery grey that needed scrubbing to remove the powdery residue on them. I then got one of my staff members, who had previously been doing the shaking and baking to coat and bake them for me and we loaded up a batch (testing smash and wipe 100%) that were coated 2x (124gr 9mmP) and took them to test. these bullets were perfect, they shot accurately, the recoil felt softer than normal, but velocities were about 50fps faster than the plated bullets with the same loads, and there was no undue smoking. Best of all, the chemical smell had dissipated. There was no leading at all either. The reason for using 124 gr 9mmP was to test a higher pressure bullet than a 38 or a 45.
    Ok, so whats the problem you may ask?
    We have been casting and loading coated bullets for the last two months with no issues. The local market has been slow to adopt them over the more traditional CMJs as range ammo, but we have now developed a nice following. Last week I checked on the process my staff are following, and found that the idiot here has been baking the two coats at 110 degrees centigrade for 10 minutes instead of at 200 C. He has done two months of production like that. Everything I have read here says that there is no way that the coating would have worked like that, but- and I took 1000 rounds of 124gr 9mmP to the range this weekend and shot them through 3 different 9mmP firearms, including a MP5 with a new, tight and longer barrel- I had the same good results as earlier. All these 'poorly' coated bullets more than exceed the two tests, and its near impossible to get the coating to come off, even when hammered thin multiple times. There was no leading in any of the firearms, accuracy was superb, the smell and smoke issues are still solved... colour me stupid, but everything written here by smarter people than me tells me that this should not be the case?
    I'm not a chemist by any means, but the acid wash step has really worked for us- the foundry lead we get here is all recycled lead, and still has traces of other unwanted elements in it- the acid sorts that out and leaves a pockmarked surface that implies a great coating surface.( Thanks Petander, for the clue to solving the problem!) It may be that traces of the acid have helped the adhesion (??) and made up for the mistakes of my staff member- I dont know. Its a mystery to me. Future bakes will be done as per the instructions, but- and I dont know why- what should have been a horrible failure has tested to work as if it had been done in accordance to the instructions. the only additional step we have put in the process is the acid wash (Which, unlike Petander's wash, uses undiluted acid for 18 hours) In addition, about a hundred thousand of these 'mistakes' have been shot by satisfied customers this year already, with no complaints and nothing but compliments.
    Amazing stuff, this Hi Tek!

Page 566 of 742 FirstFirst ... 66466516556557558559560561562563564565566567568569570571572573574575576616666 ... LastLast