MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master

Alcohol

Quote Originally Posted by sureYnot View Post
    Methanol will kill you... After it makes you blind. Ethanol is the stuff that's good with juice.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

sureYnot,
    You are correct, Methanol will blind you and kill you. For many years, Methanol was used in Ethanol, to discourage people drinking it and was called Methylated Spirits, or Metho.
    After many that were addicted to Ethanol, went blind, and had died from poisoning, it was decided by our lawmakers, that other deterrents should be used, like Bittrex, and Iso-Propanol.
    These mixtures were the sold as denatured Alcohol or continued to be called Methylated Spirits. Other denaturants were Butanol which gave a strange odour to the Ethanol.

These newer denatured alcohols, are now used in home made drinks, as a cheap source of Ethanol, but they will all make user sick, (not Blind), and die a slower way.

Because of the nature of these mixtures, it is very difficult to purify the denatured Ethanol that will make it more suitable for drinking.

I quit drinking alcohol as a beverage about 40 years ago. Back then we could buy what was called pure grain which was supposed to be 200 proof or 100% alcohol. We mixed it with grape juice and several other things to make purple passion punch. And it packed quite a punch. Funny thing was you could hardly taste the alcohol.

It made a good boost to the gas in your car, too. As long as you didn’t use too much and blow up the motor. Alcohol burns with a quicker explosion than gas. And too much would destroy a engine not built for it.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

I only trust my friend Johnny Walker to mix what I drink. (is this off topic? :P)
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Buddy
    What do you reckon is the cause of the bullet with a ****ty coat on half the bullet? I get 2 or 3 in each batch i cook.

This is after the first coat.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SmartSelect_20180709-183101_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	223409

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dansedgli View Post
    What do you reckon is the cause of the bullet with a ****ty coat on half the bullet? I get 2 or 3 in each batch i cook.

This is after the first coat.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SmartSelect_20180709-183101_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	223409
    Add more acetone. your mix is too thick. thin it out a bit.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Will do, thanks mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post
    I only trust my friend Johnny Walker to mix what I drink. (is this off topic? :P)
    had some double black recently.the smoky and peaty aspect.....were strong .liked it quite some.

Boolit Mold
    The bullet got some kind of contamination. Could be a sweaty hand or some kind of mold release.

Boolit Master

Slide, sent you a PM.

Boolit Master
    Got it! Info sent back!
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

I think there is some Irony in the fact I am spending all day on the lathe turning parts for the next AS/2 batch/group buy, so YOU mob can size your casts. But in doing so you are taking all MY casting and coating time up.....

The way this universe works is really weird some times.

BTW Joe that experimental invisible coating you sent me works fine! after the second coat/sizing .. I cant find the **** things!!
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master
    This is why you need to teach your wife how to use the lathe and make the pins for you while you get to cast and coat

My wife was happy to spend any money i got from selling my casts, yet she refused to do any hand sizing for me, go figure.....

Better keep that invisible coating away, i loose enough things without loosing more of my mind.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post
    I think there is some Irony in the fact I am spending all day on the lathe turning parts for the next AS/2 batch/group buy, so YOU mob can size your casts. But in doing so you are taking all MY casting and coating time up.....

The way this universe works is really weird some times.

BTW Joe that experimental invisible coating you sent me works fine! after the second coat/sizing .. I cant find the **** things!!

Grem, NOW YOU HAVE DONE IT.
    MY UFO Friends will be most upset. This was supposed to be a highly secret project.
    Now I will have Ausglock pester me why I did not supply him first.
    Come to think of it, I cant find the container I made this stuff in any way. So much for UFO technology......

Banned
    You need to dig out the X-Ray glasses you bought out of your childhood comic book.
    Last edited by Grmps; 07-10-2018 at 11:19 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    You need to dig out the X-Ray you bought out of your childhood comic book.
    Grmps, I have beaten the system. I located my invisible coated alloy. I simply used the Lead Magnet I had, that stuck to the alloy when I was scanning.

Boolit Master
    I don't know what you guys are drinking but wish I had some. On a more sober note, I met an old gent last week I had not seen in 3 years, he asked if I still cast and coated my own projectiles and of cause he managed to get a couple hundred out of me to try, well he turned up today and asked if I could cast him and his son 500 as they have never found more accurate projectiles for their .357 revolvers. I also gave a good friend some to try some 6 months ago and he was reluctant to take or try them, he also rang and asked if I could now coat all his bullets with the magic juice. I need to learn to keep my big mouth shut as there was a time when I could win a match or two. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cohen View Post
    I don't know what you guys are drinking but wish I had some. On a more sober note, I met an old gent last week I had not seen in 3 years, he asked if I still cast and coated my own projectiles and of cause he managed to get a couple hundred out of me to try, well he turned up today and asked if I could cast him and his son 500 as they have never found more accurate projectiles for their .357 revolvers. I also gave a good friend some to try some 6 months ago and he was reluctant to take or try them, he also rang and asked if I could now coat all his bullets with the magic juice. I need to learn to keep my big mouth shut as there was a time when I could win a match or two. Regards Stephen

Hi Stephen,
    Mine is, when I can get it, is good old Kentucky extract.

Back to reality, thank you for your post.
    You obviously had produced a great product for people coming back for more.
    I have found over the years, that guys who gave out samples to mates, a lot ended up with a small businesses casting and coating. Then they became overwhelmed with people wanting product as word spread.
    Some, simply went one step further, and began commercially producing whilst working in a full time job.
    A few more simply went the whole hog, and decided to working full time for themselves, casting and coating. It gave them satisfaction, and small bonus is, it paid bills.
    It is a very addictive pleasure when success is achieved.
    Joe

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry for talking about hitek but...

Ive adjusted my cooking weight and time and used a more diluted mix and my colours are looking much better.

Based on ausglocks advice Ive reduced temp to 190 from 200, increased time to 11 minutes and now using 120mls / 20 grams. It feels like i can swirl longer now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SmartSelect_20180710-212227_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	223472

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dansedgli View Post
    Sorry for talking about hitek but...

Ive adjusted my cooking weight and time and used a more diluted mix and my colours are looking much better.

Based on ausglocks advice Ive reduced temp to 190 from 200, increased time to 11 minutes and now using 120mls / 20 grams. It feels like i can swirl longer now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SmartSelect_20180710-212227_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	223472

They look great. Have you smash tested them?
    With swirling/coating, I have to say, that with first coat, you add just barely enough coating mixture to cast, it should be just enough volume to barely coat. Only shake coat for 10-15 seconds. Rough finishes, mostly caused by too much or too long tumble coating. As solvent dries off, the residue becomes sticky. This causes small lumps to form. Then drying and baking, simply sets this coating as is, lumps and all. It ends up rough looking. Using more diluted mix helps, as you apply same volume of a dilute mixture, and ends up using less coating as well. This reduces the sticky lumps from forming.

Boolit Master

dansedgli sent you a pm

Page 512 of 742 FirstFirst ... 12412462502503504505506507508509510511512513514515516517518519520521522562612 ... LastLast