MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 23 of 742 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323373123523 ... LastLast

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

I challenge your middle of nowhere, and raise you 5.
    Still working on things...
    Yesterday I was thinking that maybe my alloy was too soft, because after two coats I was still getting leading. I made up a batch of harder alloy and water dropped. Changed the mix up to 5-1-7. Shot 10 rounds through the 9mm M&P and was still able to remove some lead dust from the barrel. Not ribbons or flakes, just lead dust.
    Is this normal, or am I just almost there?
    Maybe a third coat?

Sized to .357 3.5 gr 700x.
    Guns should only be allowed in places where people don't want to be shot.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Lucky!!

My casting kingdom is in my non temp controlled garage. Stifling in the summer (thank God for no humidity) and blistering cold in the winter.

Didn't get much casting and reloading done in December/January when we had 30 days where it never got above freezing and was in the negatives every night. Nothing like being coyote hunting, going to make a scope adjustment, and your glove freezes to the dial (had a bit of snow on the glove). -11 degrees at noon is great hunting weather!!
    I just set my shed up a few days ago. New AC unit mounted in the wall as well as an exhaust hood. Already had heat. I'm ready to cast and cook in there now! Just about time to start running the red copper...

I just found my answer. After the rush began and things were drying up, I ended up with a few pounds of 700x. I was told this would work. So I've spent all summer trying to work up loads with it for 9mm. Awful results with tumble lubes and even hi-tek. Lots of leading with tumbles and moderate leading with hi-tek. After trying everything I could think of, I decided to try switching powders, and tried my old faithful, unique.
    No leading at all with the hi-tek!
    Yay, happy dance!!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BBQJOE View Post
    Still working on things...
    Yesterday I was thinking that maybe my alloy was too soft, because after two coats I was still getting leading. I made up a batch of harder alloy and water dropped. Changed the mix up to 5-1-7. Shot 10 rounds through the 9mm M&P and was still able to remove some lead dust from the barrel. Not ribbons or flakes, just lead dust.
    Is this normal, or am I just almost there?
    Maybe a third coat?

Sized to .357 3.5 gr 700x.
    Joe. load a few dummy rounds (no powder) and then pull the bullets with a puller hammer and see if there is ant exposed lead on the bullets after pulling.

I found that I could fire 11-12BHN alloy in 9mm with 2 coats at reasonable velocities. A friend tried the same bullets in his reloaded 9mm ammo and got leading. it turns out he didn;t have enough belling of the case mouths and the case was shaving the coating off the bullets as he was seating them. I like to have the bullet sit in the case mouth by at least 1mm. This stops anything getting shaved off the bullet.

Good news on the powder swap.
    Have you tried Hodgden universal? it is actually made here in OZ and sold as AP-70. a very good 9mm powder. 4.2 to 4.4gr with a 125gr coated bullet.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Good news on the powder swap.
    Have you tried Hodgden universal? it is actually made here in OZ and sold as AP-70. a very good 9mm powder. 4.2 to 4.4gr with a 125gr coated bullet.
    No problems with the belling, got that down. Powder is still hard to come by in the states. I've been sitting on my unique because it works perfect in all my guns, and obviously still does. Now it's time to try this coat on the 44.

Boolit Buddy
    South Louisiana, right between New Orleans and Baton Rouge
    Quote Originally Posted by prickett View Post
    Black and Decker IIRC. Was a Walmart $39 special.
    I am returning my oven, same as yours, because it would not go above 325 degrees. I verified with an oven thermometer.

Quote Originally Posted by toddrod View Post
    I am returning my oven, same as yours, because it would not go above 325 degrees. I verified with an oven thermometer.
    Get the HB.
    Winner, winner, chicken dinner!!!!

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere but does anyone water drop there bullets after the last coating? I'm worried that water dropping after casting won't do any good because of the time/temp in the oven but if you could water drop after the final coat and not hurt the coating that sounds like a Win win.

Boolit Master
    I think leadman tested this. Maybe check his posts?
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Banned
    I gave it another shot today and did two coats of 10mL on 158 .30 cal 200gr bullets, then set the oven to 375 and baked for 12-13 minutes.

They came out great! They are a nice golden color instead of tan or brown.

For sizing I gave them four light sprays of case lube, shook them around, and then did another four sprays. You can barely tell there was any lube on them after sizing.

I also coated 9mm 110gr bullets with 6.25mL per 250 bullets. Two coats as well. They came out nicely, but I think I will use 7.5mL next time for a slightly thicker coating.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p1dK0Xb.jpg 
Views:	520 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	76948
    Last edited by Jumbopanda; 07-23-2013 at 09:37 PM.

Boolit Master
    JP. remember... thicker is not better. you are better to do 3 thin coats than 2 thick coats.
    But, they look bloody great!!!
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Banned

Cool

Zoom thru some hi tek supercoat with this, it has bullet feeder. Next toy is mrbulletfeeder.net,, his collator. Then 6000 per hour. hehehehe. Yes, but i dont even have 6000 boolits. To lazy.

Came in yesterday:

Iam so damn lazy, and need my time,, gonna buy 1000 (unsized/unlubed) for 55$ then coat. Then run thru this beautiful machine.

Almost like being rich and buying Berrys or montana gold bullets. Hell maybe better, well a whole bunch of fun and enjoyment. And dont forget super speedy, so i can mow yard.
    Last edited by gunoil; 07-24-2013 at 12:06 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Gunoil, please excuse my ignorance but is this a sizing machine? If so how much, what brand......please tell me more

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redrockant View Post
    Gunoil, please excuse my ignorance but is this a sizing machine? If so how much, what brand......please tell me more
    It is a Star sizer made by Magma.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Banned

Star, redrock! And this is delux w/ all acessories @$774.00 to the door. You see the bullet feeder, just fill tube with clean hi tek bullets. Tube can go to ceiling. Best would be to buy collator and fit to lube-sizer from mrbulletfeeder.net.. Hell, members put motors and even air assist on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXbLxgJnBnI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8NdY15RstE

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    It is a Star sizer made by Magma.
    I thought they had a big **** shovel handle on them this looks neat. Trev do we need one?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redrockant View Post
    I thought they had a big **** shovel handle on them this looks neat. Trev do we need one?
    It will do the job. But it isn't an Auto-sizer. you can spend $$$ and try and convert it to Auto drive.
    Have you been able to contact Malcolm Bone yet?

Gunslick: Do your sizer dies have lube holes in them or not?
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Grand Master

I just got back from a mini vacation with the wife and granddaughter. Did not have time to heat treat the rifle boolits before we left. I will test my boolits from the previous posts on water quenching and heat treating tomorrow hopefully.

I have read where many of the posters are going to bake the Hi-Tek inside a building. After doing a preliminary reading of the Aussie MSDS sheet I do not think this is a good idea without some type of forced air hood or a respirator. I do mine outside and can see light smoke coming out of the ovens for the first 5 minutes or so. My garage has a 5,500 cfm evaporative cooler blowing into it and I also have another fan blowing the fumes towards the big door.

Maybe Hi-Tek can refresh us on the personal protection needed during this process.?? Would not want anyone to end up with health issues doing this.
    Not picking on this product as any type of painting needs proper ventilation at some level.

I think when I have more data gathered I will make a seperate thread on my finds concerning water quenching and heat treating along with shooting results.

Boolit Master
    Leadman.
    Good air flow is a must, as you stated.

I bake in my shed. However, I have the garage door open, both windows and the people door open as well. There are 2 whirlybirds on the roof and a ceiling fan set to blow upwards rather than downwards.
    Since starting this fun coating, My oven has gone from silver stainless to vomit brown around the door and the glass is now dark brown too.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Thanks for the update Leadman looking forward to your results.

Page 23 of 742 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323373123523 ... LastLast