Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 24 of 742 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333474124524 ... LastLast

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Banned
    Am I the only one who's getting very little in the way of fumes and odors while baking?

Quote Originally Posted by gunoil View Post

Iam so damn lazy, and need my time,, gonna buy 1000 (unsized/unlubed) for 55$ then coat. Then run thru this beautiful machine.
    Who sells unsized/unlubed? I want to play around with HI-TEK and Piglet, but it's too hot to cast.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by prickett View Post
    I want to play around with HI-TEK and Piglet, but it's too hot to cast.
    Amen....way to hot!

Boolit Grand Master

Jumbopanda, I can say for a fact that you do not have to be able to smell or see something to have it harm you. Hi-Tek is an engineer IIRC so he should be able to provide more definite answers on protection.
    There are many things we deal with every day, like gasoline that we are so used to handling but with a little common sense we manage to do so without blowing ourselves up or passing out. Just think of it like this: Would I clean parts in my garage with the door closed and the propane heater going?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by prickett View Post
    Who sells unsized/unlubed? I want to play around with HI-TEK and Piglet, but it's too hot to cast.
    I know Lucky13 Bullets in NC will if you call and ask...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gateway Bullets View Post
    Amen....way to hot!
    No way... Just need a bigger Air/con unit.....

Leadman: Yep. I can't smell anything when baking, but the stains on the oven suggest that there is something bad coming out. better to be safe than sorry.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    Jumbopanda, I can say for a fact that you do not have to be able to smell or see something to have it harm you. Hi-Tek is an engineer IIRC so he should be able to provide more definite answers on protection.
    There are many things we deal with every day, like gasoline that we are so used to handling but with a little common sense we manage to do so without blowing ourselves up or passing out. Just think of it like this: Would I clean parts in my garage with the door closed and the propane heater going?
    Hi to you all,
    Any coating, heating and curing of any coatings including paints and solvents, all require adequate ventilation to remove fumes.
    Because of all the different set ups and places involved with use of the coatings, (solvent based or other) it is very difficult for me to address every situation.
    All data supplied requires that adequate ventilation is used to minimise exposures to users and any fumes or vapours are exhausted from workplace.
    If coatings are applied outside buildings, where there is no confinement of fumes or solvent vapours, care must still be exercised to ensure that users are not subjected to vapours or fumes from their process set up.
    Solvent vapour masks, gloves, and protective clothes and glasses should be worn.
    As people are using solvents, all care should be exercised, and taken, that no fires or possible explosions can result from vapours of fumes eminating from any processing.
    Solvents used, are similar to Nail polish removal solvents, and is used in homes.
    I always encourage safety aspects to all users of any solvent based systems and, even home paints are not nice materials, and, even some that are water based, as they also emit some vapours which are less evident.
    All are encouraged to use safe practices.
    (What is of note is that people are melting Lead, fluxing with various materials, of unknown compositions, as we all know, also emit toxic fumes. Aside from possibly burns from molten alloy spatter, and due to locations, some do it inside their shed, garages etc or outside, and people simply avoid exposure by fans or wind blowing away the fumes generated. Many don't use industrial type protective gear to protect themselves.)
    If any one is wishing to get more information about any specific such matter, I would be happy to assist if I can, and where possible.

Banned

Dont u guys size ever now and then? Iam putting a mrbulletfeeder.net on this thang! hehehehe. 3/4's of a 1000 dollar bill and aint even got hit pluged in to the wall. WHY? Because iam a running hi tek superclean bullets thru it. hehehehe. Ah,yea. Just wait bout a month or so and i will plug on the mrbulletfeeder.net to the wall. Now i know some of ye dont size. yea!
    http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/...ps44155086.mp4

I love mashin' em thru the lil' hole. relief...

Sig938,g26,db-9,xds45,micro desert eagle,NAA2agnum,sub2000/40cal
    Last edited by gunoil; 07-25-2013 at 07:58 AM.

Boolit Master
    Gunslick. Do the sizer dies still have the lube holes in them?????? or are they smooth without holes??
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Grand Master

I size for some of my odd size boolits coated with HT in my RCBS luber sizer with the holy dies in it. LOL. No problems.

Banned

Still have stock holes trev!

I took out rubber O-rings. Love it, near future gonna put collator on it from rick. Slicker than owl shat.

Boolit Master
    I tried sizing in a LAM2 and the die skimmed some coating off the bullet.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Grand Master

Some of the older dies for LamI and Lyman sizers did not have much if any taper on the top. This can be fixed with a dowel and emery paper.

Boolit Master
    got an 11.5mm reamer today. going to ream the lube groove out of a 45 SWC mold and see what happens.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    South Louisiana, right between New Orleans and Baton Rouge
    I returned that cheap BD oven this morning to Walmart and picked up the Oster oven instead. It made all the difference in my coating process. All my bullets are slick now and looking pretty. Much thanks goes out to HiTek and Donnie @ Bayou Bullets for bringing this great coating to the USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbopanda View Post
    I gave it another shot today and did two coats of 10mL on 158 .30 cal 200gr bullets, then set the oven to 375 and baked for 12-13 minutes.

They came out great! They are a nice golden color instead of tan or brown.

For sizing I gave them four light sprays of case lube, shook them around, and then did another four sprays. You can barely tell there was any lube on them after sizing.

I also coated 9mm 110gr bullets with 6.25mL per 250 bullets. Two coats as well. They came out nicely, but I think I will use 7.5mL next time for a slightly thicker coating.

Attachment 76948
    Panda,

Those are some mighty fine looking boolits you got there.
    What are you going to use them in?

G

Boolit Bub
    O.K, I got my boolits coated with first coat of black. Have a new Hamilton Beach 31100 oven. Can I do more than one shelf at a time? If not, bottom shelf, or middle? Does it matter?

Banned

i was told middle oven rack and one tray per cook. 5-O

Boolit Bub
    After I coat about 100 boolits with the hi tek, that come out perfectly pretty green, the second batch i make is all gummy and sticky and don't want to dry nice and even like the first batch... the green hi tek turns coppery ugly... and its not the heat, I've played around with that and made a perfect batch, then right after.. a dicked up one. suggestions?

Banned

Out of your same mix bottle? I guess you shook it, 5-1-7 is a good mix. Put coats on super lite. Ive had good luck, i might get a bubble on one if i put to much on. Cut it more like trevor said.

Have you sen how much work, jigs, money, etc., goes into powder coating. Thats nuts.
    Last edited by gunoil; 07-26-2013 at 12:03 AM.

Page 24 of 742 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333474124524 ... LastLast