Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    5-976
    You should contact the U-Tube video guy to ask where he got the blue coloured coating, and what coating was used to obtain that colour. You should publish your findings.
    Then, you should also ask the manufacturer of the coating, if it is suitable for end use as posted on U-Tube. The fact that it is pretty, and Blue, or nice, does not suddenly make it suitable for end use application nor guarantee it will work.
    I have not seen any evidence to demonstrate that such a product will actually perform in end use applications. Having a Blue coloured coating does not automatically guarantee success or suitability. I may be out of line with my comments, but I find it strange that finding a Blue coating is suddenly is the ants pants and is desirable for users, and being Blue is the only thing that is important.
    But itttssss blue maaaannnnn! hahaha

I have tried powder coating, and while it works I have found to problems, bases of bullets are never even thus causing accuracy issues, and the coating is not even all the way around the bullet, also affecting accuracy. Now all this is fine and dandy for pistol use at short distances, but for longer shots, or rifle use it is a problem..

Now here is the kicker, I am lazy, and appose to sitting there for like 5 minutes shaking a Tupperware container to coat 50 bullets then pick them out and shake them off then stand them on on nonstick foil, then bake for 20 minutes, I could swirl 200 bullets in the same container for about 20 seconds then just dump the bullets unceremoniously in a big pile in a mesh basket, give it a quick shake to even them out go do something else for ten minutes and finely bake for 12 minutes and bing done bullets!
    Don't damn me
    When I speak a piece of my mind
    'Cause silence isn't golden
    When I'm holding it inside.
    G'n'R

Boolit Buddy
    I've always had trouble with the heavy 500gr bullets getting rough coats or coating not sticking well. Yesterday I cast up a heap of 500grers with my new NOE HTC mold and coated 2.8kg with only 2.5ml of red copper and got a great looking bullet. Here's a pic of one with a single coat. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2017-04-22-18-22-51_1_1.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	193881
    Last edited by Kitika; 04-23-2017 at 08:09 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Does Hi-Tek work with froasted over projectiles?

Boolit Buddy
    Has worked for me.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyN View Post
    Does Hi-Tek work with froasted over projectiles?
    Like there ain't no tomorrow commin' it does!
    Don't damn me
    When I speak a piece of my mind
    'Cause silence isn't golden
    When I'm holding it inside.
    G'n'R

I haven't done any coating for a while so after casting about 400 or so (mostly .38 and some .44-40) figured I should coat them. All went well (of course) other than over-baking the Zombie Green slightly . I set the timer for 12 mins, eventually remembering I normally only use 10. I noticed the temp was staying a bit above 200C and taking a while to settle down so I'll have to re-train the PID next time. The Bronze looks good but the ZG looks more like a light Olive Drab with a slight golden sheen! I love how I can get slight colour variation with just a minor tweaking . Needless to say they passed the smash test so will work fine.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Flat base bullets get sized after the first coat, then second coat gets applied.
    Bevel base bullets get sized after second coat.
    G'Day Trevor, I'm still learning about Hi-Tek and wonder what the reasoning is for doing this.
    Do you size the flat base bullets 1 thou under desired size and have the second coat bring it up to where you want them?
    Does it hurt flat based hi-tek coated bullets to size after the final coat?

Hi Tek in 45-70 100 yards. Good day at the range.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45-70 100 yd 042717.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	194224

That four shot group measures about 1 1/2". Had a good group going until very last shot. Oh well, still best I've been able to do with 45-70. The next target was almost the same with 39 gn of IMR 4198.

The end product is what I'm after. If I can ever get to 1". I'm way below what the Winchester hunting ammo I sighted in with will do. It was 2 1/2" at 100 yd.

Really like this stuff.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

This is from 2 yrs ago, 1035 gold @ 100, 15.5 4227 under a 150gr PB, 1:7 BO carbine, sized 310. Got some leading so haven't played with the HiTek in rifle since. IMO I got the coating too thick. IMO the horizontal is due to the crummy carbine stock - replace with full rifle now and changed the upper to 1:10. AC isocore, @ 1600 fps. I think it will work, just HV makes the application more critical.
    Attachment 194229
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    G'Day Trevor, I'm still learning about Hi-Tek and wonder what the reasoning is for doing this.
    Do you size the flat base bullets 1 thou under desired size and have the second coat bring it up to where you want them?
    Does it hurt flat based hi-tek coated bullets to size after the final coat?
    Flat base usually have a bit of flashing around the edges. Sizing after the first coat tends to remove it. I don't size again after the second coat. just use them as is.
    This works well for the 205gn RNFP Lee 44 bullets out of the Marlin 1894.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    I haven't done any coating for a while so after casting about 400 or so (mostly .38 and some .44-40) figured I should coat them. All went well (of course) other than over-baking the Zombie Green slightly . I set the timer for 12 mins, eventually remembering I normally only use 10. I noticed the temp was staying a bit above 200C and taking a while to settle down so I'll have to re-train the PID next time. The Bronze looks good but the ZG looks more like a light Olive Drab with a slight golden sheen! I love how I can get slight colour variation with just a minor tweaking . Needless to say they passed the smash test so will work fine.
    I fought with the ZG for awhile before finally getting the proper color. For me....it was an 8 minute bake cycle. I was doing smaller test batches at the time, when i do bulk they usually come out slightly olive colored as well. I gave up chasing perfect colors as long as they function 100%.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    I gave up chasing perfect colors as long as they function 100%.
    I'm the same, the "accuracy" of the colour is really pretty irrelevant, I just find it intriguing, the variations I can get. As long as they work is the important thing.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    I have never had good results with micro groove bullets (tumble lube bullets).... just saying..
    Ive had very good results with the 158 in 38/357, no trouble keeping 10 shots in the 10 ring of a ISSF target from my 686 and half that size from my marlin.

Has been 6 months since I checked in on this thread and spent all afternoon catching up. Haven't coated anything for 12 months, I did tens of thousands once I sorted my technique and am working my way through them.
    Used a bit of Hitek coated stuff last weekend at a forum shoot here in Aus and came home with a few medals.
    Son was using Hitek coated @1850fps in his 375H&H, has put 3 into less than moa a few times at 100 and I cant every remember a group bigger than 2". He also stole my little 1894 marlin for the running boar comp using 180gr NOE WFP with a couple of coats of the old liquid copper and won it. I had to settle for 3rd using my 45/70 and NOW 405 with the same coating.
    Last edited by 220; 04-30-2017 at 03:37 AM.

Boolit Master

colours

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    I fought with the ZG for awhile before finally getting the proper color. For me....it was an 8 minute bake cycle. I was doing smaller test batches at the time, when i do bulk they usually come out slightly olive colored as well. I gave up chasing perfect colors as long as they function 100%.
    May be, I should have been like Mr Ford. Stating, that you can have any colour, as long as it is Black. This would have sorted all out from the beginning.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    May be, I should have been like Mr Ford. Stating, that you can have any colour, as long as it is Black. This would have sorted all out from the beginning.
    Seems like a solid plan . ZG was the only color that gave me issues! Bronze, Gold, Black, and Red all worked great! Still trying to use them up .
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    fivel 976

You mean about this color .Attachment 193659

Joe is working on that one and this one Attachment 193660 as we speak.

Edison 10,000 tries and the light bulb. Almost there.
    Avenger,
    PM Sent

I'm going to load up several Hi Tek 45-70s hopefully tonight to see if I can repeat the results on that last target. The point of posting it was that I had a 1 1/2" group going and messed it up with the last shot. The other target mentioned was the same only the flyer was further out. It seems lately, no matter how hard I try, there is always a flyer. I've tried segregating bullets by weight, they are all cast with a pot controlled by PID, all charges are measured within 0.1 of a grain, cases are prepped the same, loaded with Hornady dies and press.......
    I think I'm going to try cleaning up flash holes and segregating cases by weight next. Seems an extreme measure to stop flyers but anyway.

I never thought I would get to the point of trying so hard to get the tight groups. I started out wanting to make my own hunting bullets. Accuracy was always a question but you only need maybe two inch groups at 100 yd to hunt anything I would hunt. Passed that point.

This week going to try to get around to casting some hollow point .308 with a copper enriched alloy. Will be putting a new color on these I hope. Kind of tired of the old black, olive drab, gold colors. OH NO! I've turned into my wife with the Vera Bradly purses.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

I always get fantastic extremely tight groups with all my casts... right up untill I pull the trigger a second time. However even then my groups are unbeliveably tight, I just started another group in a different location on the target!

You see its all in the perspective!.
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Joe
    Want you to know that I'm not asking for another color. But I suppose a white or clear color is not possible? Was just thinking that if there was a white we might be able to lighten up some of the dark colors. Like on a color wheel. And if there was a clear you could do some different adjustments.

Gremlin; You know I never thought of it that way. Start an new group at each trigger pull. Going to try it and post photos.

Got thirty loads ready for the range tonight. But it may be a week or so before I get to use them.
    Try applying a piece of masking tape around a few of your bullets after they are coated. Mash it on them real good and then pull it off. Let me know what happens to yours.

Page 438 of 742 FirstFirst ... 338388428429430431432433434435436437438439440441442443444445446447448488538 ... LastLast