RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Well won't likely work in the winter but for summer I am thinking you may have hot the nail on the head. I will do some searches and see what is available.

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Bob,

Just has a thought, what about a simple solar oven? A few pieces of wood, an old window pane, black paint and with some spare time you can make a quick oven that will heat even when chilly outside, just needs sunshine. http://solarovens.org/

Boolit Master
    Why not use your baking oven set at 70-100 degree's and bake the boolits for 5mins and then coat. Pat

Quote Originally Posted by PAT303 View Post
    Why not use your baking oven set at 70-100 degree's and bake the boolits for 5mins and then coat. Pat
    I may try that tomorrow. Worth a try.

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    I coated 4kg worth of boolits today,I put them in the oven for 5mins,they felt warm to touch and the coating worked perfect,smashed half a dozen and all past. Pat

Boolit Master

I coated 4kg worth of boolits today,I put them in the oven for 5mins,they felt warm to touch and the coating worked perfect,smashed half a dozen and all past. Pat
    Hi Pat 303
    Thanks for your post.
    Sounds like you are well onto it.
    How did they look? It would be great if we saw pictures.
    With pre-warming before coating, how was drying rate, and how long did you wait before cooking?
    Which coating did you use, and what ratio of materials?
    Hi-Tek

Boolit Master
    They are working well Joe,what I found was they dry quicker,I got the dull sound after 15-20 secs instead of 20-30 secs.I let them dry for a few hours and then pre-warmed them on the top of the oven and then baked,winter is here in Perth so I'll be doing the heating before coating from now on,I made up a fresh batch of Texas Tea,20mls coating,4mls catalyst and 30mls acetone,the second coat will be baked at 300 degree C for 30mins and water dropped to heat treat,that doesn't seem to affect the coating,they don't lead in my 303 and I'm pushing them up to 1950fps. Pat

Boolit Master
    To add I found 2ml per kilo of boolits works for me,quite often a few aren't totally covered but I just give them a third coat or if it's the bottom of the grooves I don't bother. Pat

Pat with winter upon you in the Southern Hemisphere what exactly constitutes winter? -20C, wind and snow or 15C with occasional rain. From what I recall from my Social Studies classes, a very long time ago Perth's weather is pretty moderate by our standards and I live near the coast.

I plan on trying your suggestion. Today will be 26C and sunny. I am hopeful the pre warming before applying product proves the answer.

Bob

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    Pat with winter upon you in the Southern Hemisphere what exactly constitutes winter? -20C, wind and snow or 15C with occasional rain.

Bob
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... Aussie winter along the coastal region is like 0 Deg C of a morning. getting to 18 to 20degC of a day time.
    Snow only in the south east mountain area.

In the outback, winter temp gets down to -3 or so. Daytime temps are 20 deg C.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Well if I ever visit Aussiland I'll leave my snow shoes at home...wait a minute I don't have any of those contraptions either. Not sure I could take your summer though. We get 40C in our back shooting pits up against the mountain and that is plenty hot for me.

Take Care

Bob

Boolit Master
    Pat with winter upon you in the Southern Hemisphere what exactly constitutes winter? -20C, wind and snow or 15C with occasional rain. From what I recall from my Social Studies classes, a very long time ago Perth's weather is pretty moderate by our standards and I live near the coast.

I plan on trying your suggestion. Today will be 26C and sunny. I am hopeful the pre warming before applying product proves the answer.

Bob
    Bob,our winters aren't really winters compared to yours,I live 200m from the ocean so I have what we call ''cold'',below 10 degree's C and moist ocean air with rain and sometimes heavy morning dew.Your winters are like our summers,you put up with extreme cold,we suffer extreme heat. Pat

Boolit Master
    Well if I ever visit Aussiland I'll leave my snow shoes at home...wait a minute I don't have any of those contraptions either. Not sure I could take your summer though. We get 40C in our back shooting pits up against the mountain and that is plenty hot for me.

Take Care

Bob
    I drove across the Pilbara region of Oz three years ago,it was so hot even the camels and donkeys were dying,I can't tell you how hot it was because my thermometer maxed out at 50c,I had water bottles on the back seat of my Defender and I recon they were hot enough I could have just added a tea bag and sugar. Pat

Boolit Bub
    So I'm still having a slight leading issue with my 9mm and 40 S&W with the red copper powder. The leading isn't bad enough to affect accuracy and the barrel cleans easily with a few passes of Chore Boy wrapped around a bore snake. So yesterday, I recovered a couple of bullets and what I found made me wonder if I'm pushing the bullets too fast. The 9mm average velocity is 1092 & max of 1162 fps. The 40 averages 959 and max of 988 fps. What I found with the 9mm is that the lands and grooves are being stripped clean off the bullet. The bullet started life at .357 and ended up at .340. So do you think my leading is caused by excess speed or another issue?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Boolit Master
    I'm no expert but hows the fit?,undersize boolits will do what yours are doing.I just had a little trouble,2kg of boolits got too hot trying to heat treat and they melted,worst part is most were CBE 6.5mm,that mold is a single cavity so production is painfully slow.The second batch worked perfect,three passing the smash and wipe and will be ready to shoot in 2 weeks. Pat

Boolit Bub
    I'm no expert but hows the fit?,undersize boolits will do what yours are doing.I just had a little trouble,2kg of boolits got too hot trying to heat treat and they melted,worst part is most were CBE 6.5mm,that mold is a single cavity so production is painfully slow.The second batch worked perfect,three passing the smash and wipe and will be ready to shoot in 2 weeks. Pat
    Pat- I slugged the 9mm at .356. I've tried .357 & .358 with the same results. I think the bullets for the 40 are .401 or .402, don't remember. I'm going to try some commercially coated bullets and see what happens. Both guns are vey accurate even with the leading.

The velocities you quote are not excessive for the 9MM. To soft a lead may be the cause.

Take Care

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    All the soft blokes live near the coast
    Gets a bit cooler around here
    Official temps for the past 4 days

Tue, May 26 -3.0°C 14.1°C 0.0mm
    Mon, May 25 -0.5°C 13.8°C 0.0mm
    Sun, May 24 -4.8°C 16.0°C 0.0mm
    Sat, May 23 -2.8°C 15.0°C 0.0mm

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 220 View Post
    All the soft blokes live near the coast
    Gets a bit cooler around here
    Official temps for the past 4 days

Tue, May 26 -3.0°C 14.1°C 0.0mm
    Mon, May 25 -0.5°C 13.8°C 0.0mm
    Sun, May 24 -4.8°C 16.0°C 0.0mm
    Sat, May 23 -2.8°C 15.0°C 0.0mm
    You must be living close to our pollies in Canberra. Winter or summer it is always "cold" down there...lol...lol...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    You must be living close to our pollies in Canberra. Winter or summer it is always "cold" down there...lol...lol...
    Only about 100km in a straight line but thankfully there is a rather large mountain range in between lol

Page 289 of 742 FirstFirst ... 189239279280281282283284285286287288289290291292293294295296297298299339389 ... LastLast