Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    No idea...
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by flybyjohn View Post
    Maybe totally off topic here but it is a Hitek thread, right? I was wondering if hitek coating will stick to aluminum.

Here is the situation. I have a Subaru engine that had one of the pistons skirts slightly scuffed. All the other pistons look good with very little wear. The piston skirts came coated with some black stuff from the factory for better friction resistance. If Hitek sticks to aluminum then I might try to put a very light coat on my scuffed piston skirt to see if it works in the engine. It will be exposed to oil, but I thought that once it is baked it should be oil proof, and it also seems to exceed the temperature of melted lead. I am not sure how hot a piston skirt gets, but I don't think it would be above 600 deg F. What do the Hitek gurus think?

Oh and for you fellows down under, I am talking about Aluminium pistons.
    The problem will be the piston skirt has most likely collapsed so your piston clearance will be to loose
    the piston coating is likely a Teflon coating

How would you apply the coating? Tumbling a piston probably wouldn't work too well neither, I suspect, would adding it to a batch of boolits.

Boolit Master
    If it was me, i'd spray it with something like an air brush, very light coasts and cook between.

Banned
    I saw this at a local store "Wholesale Outlet", There might be one near you?????

Tazza, I seem to recall that Joe said it can't be sprayed? The solvent used is pretty volatile and I reckon it would evaporate awfully quick with compressed air blowing it out. Plus it would probably clog the airbrush pretty quick, so you'd want to use one of the non-metallic types.

One day, when I've got nothing else to do I might have to try it.

Boolit Master
    That is possible, i wonder if another solvent could be used to slow it down a little like you can add to other paints, over here we call then retarding thinners, something that evaporates slower.

Boolit Buddy
    The piston still measures out within tolerance, but this one piston must have got a little hot or dry and just left a few vertical lines on the skirt. I have some pistons coming but so far out of a couple sets of aftermarket pistons, they are all on the small side for spec. Subaru designated their bores either A or B with A or B pistons to go in them to make the tolerances tighter. Since aftermarket pistons only come in standard or bored over, the standard pistons all have to be on the small side to insure that someone doesn't stick the larger piston in the small bore and seize it up. the smaller piston will go into the larger bore but you just get a bit of piston slap that doesn't need to be there.

I would find a way to apply it but before I figure that out, I just wanted to make sure that it was even a option. Well, better start talking about bullets again I guess.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    That is possible, i wonder if another solvent could be used to slow it down a little like you can add to other paints, over here we call then retarding thinners, something that evaporates slower.
    You can add denatured alcohol or MEK, it's written on the instructions

A higher percentage of DA and reduce the acetone accordingly maybe? Might work, I'd keep away from MEK myself though, it's nasty stuff and I wouldn't really want to be spraying it around unless you've got a proper spray booth. While it's not really a practical way of coating boolits (hard to beat tumbling, I reckon) it might open up some interesting other uses for Hi-Tek. Have to give it some thought.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by flybyjohn View Post
    Maybe totally off topic here but it is a Hitek thread, right? I was wondering if hitek coating will stick to aluminum.

Here is the situation. I have a Subaru engine that had one of the pistons skirts slightly scuffed. All the other pistons look good with very little wear. The piston skirts came coated with some black stuff from the factory for better friction resistance. If Hitek sticks to aluminum then I might try to put a very light coat on my scuffed piston skirt to see if it works in the engine. It will be exposed to oil, but I thought that once it is baked it should be oil proof, and it also seems to exceed the temperature of melted lead. I am not sure how hot a piston skirt gets, but I don't think it would be above 600 deg F. What do the Hitek gurus think?

Oh and for you fellows down under, I am talking about Aluminium pistons.
    Hello flybyjohn,
    Interesting idea. However, I hate to throw a bucket of water over your idea, but unfortunately it wont work with Hi-Tek.
    The problem is, that Aluminium and its alloys will chemically react with the coating, and therefore it will simply peel off.
    I suspect, that what ever coating is on the piston from manufacturer it could be a fused PTFE polymer, that may include Moly that is captured in the coating.
    I know that some PTFE polymers, can be fused to apply to metals at about 320-350C as continuous films for metal lubrication and metal separation.
    Because the PTFE is so inert, that is why it seems to work as fuse bonded lubricant.
    Sorry about bad news.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the info Joe. That saved me a ton of experimenting.

Just wanted to let you know that I tried a few new to me colors on my bullets and really like the kriptonite green in the sunlight. Those and the Black cherry are so smooth and slippery compared to the Red Copper I used the first time around.

Another article on Hi Tek bullets June edition Handloader. I'm jealous this guy has a Ransom rest.
    All pistol bullets this time. Another article promised later on rifle bullets.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    Another article on Hi Tek bullets June edition Handloader. I'm jealous this guy has a Ransom rest.
    All pistol bullets this time. Another article promised later on rifle bullets.
    Avenger442;
    I wonder how I can get a copy of these magazines, or reports. Do you think that company publishing it will take a subscription from me to post magazines?
    I don't know how this works in US.

Boolit Master
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Thanks Ausglock.
    I managed to read one page of the Hi-Tek article in the magazine, but would not allow me to read any other pages.
    Interesting reading.
    I suppose, I may have to purchase a copy, and have it sent to me.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Avenger442;
    I wonder how I can get a copy of these magazines, or reports. Do you think that company publishing it will take a subscription from me to post magazines?
    I don't know how this works in US.
    I know that Handloader allows you to download the magazine in PDF format if you are a subscriber.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    I know that Handloader allows you to download the magazine in PDF format if you are a subscriber.
    Thanks Elkins45, Sent you a PM.

Nothing like free advertising. Right Joe?

If you have a problem with the PDF let me know and I will snag you a copy and mail it to you.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    Nothing like free advertising. Right Joe?

If you have a problem with the PDF let me know and I will snag you a copy and mail it to you.
    Thanks much Avenger442,
    Members had sent me a copy of the pages related to the tests done with Hi-Tek coatings.
    It is much appreciated.
    Free advertising is great, but am more interested in results with various calibres and accuracy.
    It seems that there is another happy customer using Hi-Tek coated casts.
    I am eagerly looking forward to report with rifle ammo using Hi-Tek coated casts.
    It will be interesting reading.
    I must register with magazine producer so I can get editions as and when they are printed.
    Thanks all for the input.

Page 505 of 742 FirstFirst ... 5405455495496497498499500501502503504505506507508509510511512513514515555605 ... LastLast