Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Tazza,
    I am really puzzled, why any one would want to make up excess amounts of coating mixtures, and then store it instead of using most of it up?
    Users generally know, how far the coating goes and how many projectiles need coating. I suppose they would try to make enough coating mixture to do the job.
    If a little is left over, it is really not economical and not practical to store it, then, later on, wonder if it has gone off or not, if user cannot store it in suitable conditions to maintain stability..
    The other consideration is, if stored mixture is used, then found to be no good, all this work is waste of time and no usable product is made, (not mention possibility of having to re-melt and re-cast).
    If you use a mix of 20g HI-TEK to 100-120 mls Acetone, this should roughly coat 2300 (plus or minus) projectiles with two coats.
    If you use these figures as a guide, it is easy to work out how much mixture you would need, based on how many casts have to be coated.
    Joe, generally when i get time to cast, i try and get as much done as i can, so i coat/cook one batch while still casting a different one. Say i have 125con done, i know how many i have done, but i have the machine running say 125rn and i don't know exactly how many i'll get done that day. I know i could math it all out so i mix only enough for that day, but i know i'm going to use more in the following few days or weeks. With the covid thingie, i have had spare time, i have cast enough in the last few months to use up a little under a kilo of K15, the coating i have mixed up hasn't had enough time to sit and go off for them

I can tell you, my poor casting machine and sizer had sure has had a work out.

Boolit Master
    It strikes me that if Hi-Tek coating were simple there would not be 600 pages and 13,000 posts on it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    We will mix around a litre of coating at a time.
    Keep it in the fridge. All good for months.

How interested would the US market be for an OD Green coating??????
    I had some Kryptonite Green mixed for over 6 months in my open shop and when I used it the color was like a metalic OD Green and it worked fine.

I think OD Green would sell, I know some shooters who would like a Purple color.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    It strikes me that if Hi-Tek coating were simple there would not be 600 pages and 13,000 posts on it.
    Have you read all 600 pages and 13,000 post?
    I have and alot of people didn't follow the instructions.

Boolit Master

600 Pages it is here to stay and it works , I have read all the pages and every time it gets a new post , some have issues and there is always someone trying to help them , do take the time to read it is another way of doing things .

Coating bullets is practical and is a growing part of the hobby and business of casting , I do not bash any of the ways of lube , Hi-Tek or powder coating , read it and if you do not want to go that route then dont , it works and this thread is here to help people make it work .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Tazza,
    I am really puzzled, why any one would want to make up excess amounts of coating mixtures, and then store it instead of using most of it up?
    Users generally know, how far the coating goes and how many projectiles need coating. I suppose they would try to make enough coating mixture to do the job.
    If a little is left over, it is really not economical and not practical to store it, then, later on, wonder if it has gone off or not, if user cannot store it in suitable conditions to maintain stability..
    The other consideration is, if stored mixture is used, then found to be no good, all this work is waste of time and no usable product is made, (not mention possibility of having to re-melt and re-cast).
    If you use a mix of 20g HI-TEK to 100-120 mls Acetone, this should roughly coat 2300 (plus or minus) projectiles with two coats.
    If you use these figures as a guide, it is easy to work out how much mixture you would need, based on how many casts have to be coated.
    I have a bottle of each color available in the US mixed up plus some colors I've mixed together. Something like 18 bottles of coating right now. I cast in bursts and I like to use a different color on each batch or two.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    A lot of those posts deal with many issues that really have nothing to do with how to use the coating, much back and forward banter and just good fun. Any topic on this site will have much the same response. Come along mate and join us, its a fun ride. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    It is simple.
    The count number is due to the know all clowns that will not be told and will not follow directions..
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    I had some Kryptonite Green mixed for over 6 months in my open shop and when I used it the color was like a metalic OD Green and it worked fine.

I think OD Green would sell, I know some shooters who would like a Purple color.

Did someone say Purple??? lol There is a purple.... will post photos later when I get home from work.. And a pink as well....
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    I coated 30 of the Lee 130gr 0.285 for the 7x57. 21 gr of 4759. Range day on Saturday. The barrel needed about 2 wet patches. Most of the gunk was a fine dust, and some Unburnt powder.
    Since the level was low in the 3 year old container , I emptied it out and had to dig through a rubbery congealed mass about an inch thick. It seems I had been using this version with no downgrading of my coating ! Good on yer , Joe !
    "...Some days its rocket science, and some days it just zinc..."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eljefeoz View Post
    I coated 30 of the Lee 130gr 0.285 for the 7x57. 21 gr of 4759. Range day on Saturday. The barrel needed about 2 wet patches. Most of the gunk was a fine dust, and some Unburnt powder.
    Since the level was low in the 3 year old container , I emptied it out and had to dig through a rubbery congealed mass about an inch thick. It seems I had been using this version with no downgrading of my coating ! Good on yer , Joe !
    I mixed some liquid coating that was around 3 years old. a thick skin on top of the bottle. cut it out and mixed.......perfect results.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

I mixed some liquid coating that was around 3 years old. a thick skin on top of the bottle. cut it out and mixed.......perfect results.
    Always thought you were thick skinned...
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cohen View Post
    A lot of those posts deal with many issues that really have nothing to do with how to use the coating, much back and forward banter and just good fun. Any topic on this site will have much the same response. Come along mate and join us, its a fun ride. Regards Stephen
    Well, I was resistant to powder coating but now use it for 9mm. Also just started using it in my M 27 which has tight cylinder throats.
    I guess my comment was a bit dismissive. Will look into it.

Boolit Master

The signal to noise ratio is pretty low. These Aussies chat like a couple of old ladies in this thread.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    The signal to noise ratio is pretty low. These Aussies chat like a couple of old ladies in this thread.
    hahahahaha... Mate, always on for a good yarn.
    Grem....you old Soap Dodger....where ya been? bending Bananas?????
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Coated a few weeks ago with some gold liquid HiTek that I bought in 2013. Had to shake it for a while before bullets in the original Bayou Bullets can started rattling. Dried it too long, baked it too long, and baked it too hot so no testing would be needed. Came out a nice dark bronze which contrasts nicely with my brass. A case of primers later I had 5,000 rds of 45 ACP which shoot great. Cans of coating and catalyst have always been stored indoors at temps between 60 and 75F.

Boolit Master
    I just checked a couple bottles of Black Cherry mixed up from the powder a year ago; one at 20/100 and the other 20/200 in acetone and stored in a California basement (cool, but never below freezing). Like eljefeoz, there was a congealed mass at the bottom. Most seemed to mix up OK, but the shaker bullet only partially broke up the clump, leaving bits suspended in the liquid that I figure could leave lumps stuck on the boolits. I didn't think it worthwhile trying to strain it so out it went (only 30-40 ml each). I only use a couple or three colors, and usually cast then coat in big batches to last me many months, so I guess I'll take Joe's suggestion to mix only what I'll use.

Several post back Joe and I had a discussion about redisolving a batch that had gone solid on me. The acetone had evaporated. I broke it up into chunks and dust. Joe recommended grinding up the chunks for this experiment in redisolving. I didn't and after six months of soaking the dust and smaller pieces had dissolved in the acetone. The chunks were still there but soft. The color was real dark in the bottle. If it happens again I'll try grinding it up in a coffee grinder. The dust and small chunks were disolved in about a week.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    Just a heads up..
    Joe is in Hospital. The old coot has been there for a few days. Still grumpy.

Waiting to get a camera up the rear and another down the throat.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Just a heads up..
    Joe is in Hospital. The old coot has been there for a few days. Still grumpy.

Waiting to get a camera up the rear and another down the throat.
    Hopefully not the same camera in the wrong order.
    NRA Benefactor.

Page 679 of 742 FirstFirst ... 179579629669670671672673674675676677678679680681682683684685686687688689729 ... LastLast