WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master

Gas supply

Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    The only concern i have with an "owned" bottle is they can change the rules or possibly go broke. Back in the day, you could buy CIG bottles, but then it became BOC and you couldn't get them filled anymore without a rental account. I was lucky enough to have owned bottled for a while, but once you needed an account to fill 'em, i was boned
    TAZZA
    I heard, and I hope it is not correct, that Argon as used in inert gas welding is running out. There are several countries that are hoarding many hundreds of tonnes, (if not thousands of Tonnes) as they are trying to safeguard their industries.
    It is similar with Helium and other inert gasses. If this is true, many businesses who produce gasses for welding and other industrial applications will be going out of such business of supply. Apparently, recovery of these gasses is almost not possible or not practical, due the very low concentrations contained in the atmosphere.
    Making theses gasses may be only option if possible.
    If gasses cannot be made and or supplied, what happens to all welding shops, engineering, supplies, and other industries who have no alternative that need shielding gas?.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    TAZZA
    I heard, and I hope it is not correct, that Argon as used in inert gas welding is running out. There are several countries that are hoarding many hundreds of tonnes, (if not thousands of Tonnes) as they are trying to safeguard their industries.
    It is similar with Helium and other inert gasses. If this is true, many businesses who produce gasses for welding and other industrial applications will be going out of such business of supply. Apparently, recovery of these gasses is almost not possible or not practical, due the very low concentrations contained in the atmosphere.
    Making theses gasses may be only option if possible.
    If gasses cannot be made and or supplied, what happens to all welding shops, engineering, supplies, and other industries who have no alternative that need shielding gas?.
    I sure hope not too, the googles says that it's "fairly abundant" in the atmosphere at almost 1% that figure seems really low, but they say that Helium is in the parts per million, so it's not at all feasible to get helium from the air and it's getting harder to find. I know it's formed from atomic decay, can they not get it from nuclear power plants?

Making gasses surely has to be even more costly? Thankfully with most welding, there are alternatives, MIG welding steel i was pretty sure started out using CO2, i have tried it and it does work, but messy, argon gives a prettier weld.

Medical gear needs liquid Helium for cooling, so we really do need it.

Boolit Master
    Well I finally got to try out the new to me Candy Apple Red that Joe sent me, I got first coat on today before I went to range and will finish with two coats tomorrow. I was wondering how much I could dilute the mix with Acetone so I did some at half strength as in twice the acetone and it passed the tests so fare, will see how it goes tomorrow with final coats. I just love this Hi-Tek. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    I have used a lot of Candy Apple Red mixed 125 ml / 20 gram and just used 2 coats.
    When using it at 100 ml / 20 grams with 2 coats I would end up with really thick coats, both mixes worked fine as long as I got the coats dry before baking.

Boolit Buddy
    I use 230 ml accetone to 40 g powder. It's a bit thinner than reccomended but it makes the lube grooves easier to coat. I then use 22 ml pr 10 kg boolits.

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

I’ve used a lot of Candy Apple and mostly use a mix 120ml to 20 grams 1st coat and 105ml to 20ml for 2nd coat. For both mixes I use around 30ml to 14kg. I still vary mixes and amounts depending on projectile type / size and ambient temperature. Lots of adjustments to find what works best for me.

Boolit Man

Candy Apple Red

My candy apple red looks a lot like red copper

Boolit Buddy
    My candy apple red doesn't look like I would think it should look. That and gun metal both don't look like they shy they do. I like the other colors tho.

Boolit Master
    I usually use 120ml acetone to 20g powder and do 2 coats for pistol and 3 coats for rifle or the 460 SW. TonyN the colour will vary depending on heat you cook them at and how long you cook them but as long as they are cooked correctly they are fine regardless of the colour variations, not 100% sure but I suspect some alloys of giving a different colour but I may have been drinking that day. Regards Stephen

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not sure whether it's my technique with the hitek, or whether the lee 356-125 rnfb is just a painful design to work with but I haven't had any success yet. I do suspect that I haven't left the newly coated boolits to dry off long enough before baking. Though the first batch I baked passed the wipe and smash test, but still leaded badly after 10rds.

So I have a new MP mold on the way which is what I want to shoot and has no lube grooves, so is way more similar to the 145gr jwords I've been using. I've also added the pid to my boolit oven, bought a .358 sizer to try and am investigating making a bigger expander/powder plug for the dillon.

Also does anyone know if making new colours at home is as simple as blending 2 different hitek powders ?

Boolit Master
    Blending is what I do best.
    Blend away.
    15gms of red254 and 5gm Gold 1935 makes Candy Apple like colour.
    If you are getting leading, try a larger dia. or a slower powder.
    AP-50 will lead with some bullets, where AP-70 will not...go figure..
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Everything I've loaded thus far has been ap70. 4.0 gr of ap70 with 125gr is about minimum to make pf and it leads up something fierce. I do have some ap50 laying around but haven't used it yet.

Boolit Master
    Size bigger... .357
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Anyone have a picture of The candy apple red and Kryptonite green? Mine turn our beautiful but I don't know if I see candy apple red in mine. I bake 400 F for 10 min. I would post a pic but some reason it always says file to large.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyN View Post
    Anyone have a picture of The candy apple red and Kryptonite green? Mine turn our beautiful but I don't know if I see candy apple red in mine. I bake 400 F for 10 min. I would post a pic but some reason it always says file to large.
    Here are some Candy Apple with a bit of red122 added, about 10%
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	715527AC-F674-4041-B16D-CC8FC9D1E181.jpeg 
Views:	67 
Size:	154.4 KB 
ID:	243676

2nd image is pretty much same colour just different light / flash. Lighting conditions change the look dramatically.
    Attachment 238141
    Last edited by Jatz357; 06-16-2019 at 10:23 PM.

Boolit Master
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    I see that Dark green metallic changed in color with the newest batch I have now. Its darker and isnt as glossy.

Boolit Buddy
    The Black K15 sticks some to the tray. Should I add more acetone to the mix? I'm at 100ml/20 grams right now.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyN View Post
    The Black K15 sticks some to the tray. Should I add more acetone to the mix? I'm at 100ml/20 grams right now.
    You may be using too much or dumping out a little early

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=TonyN;4668894]The Black K15 sticks some to the tray. Should I add more acetone to the mix? I'm at 100ml/20 grams right now.[/QUOTE

When I got my last batch of the k15 Donnie sent a note with it that the standard ratio of 20gr to 100ml was far too thick and recommended using 8-10 gr to 100ml. I have had my best results using 10g K15 powder to 150ml acetone.

Page 592 of 742 FirstFirst ... 92492542582583584585586587588589590591592593594595596597598599600601602642692 ... LastLast