MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading Everything

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    Joe, would we get the same results (Just darker boolits) for 15 min @ 250°C / 482C ?
    Grmps,
    Good question, but unfortunately, ...I have no answers to this one.

I have several concerns about such temperatures
    1. What oven would be able to heat to 250C . Most wont unless designed for running at such high temperatures.
    2. What also would the effect be on the alloy? My understanding on alloy with elevated heat is, that the composition may start to "bleed" on the surface with separation of the various metals.
    I have no idea, what such surface change on alloy would result with coating and bond.

It is possible, that coating may withstand short heat such as for 15 minutes at 250. However, I do not know any one that has carried out such experiment. The only way is to try the experiment. Most colours will be severely changed.

For the coating and application, why would any one need such high temperature conditions, when good results can be obtained at a much lower temperature conditions?

A couple of commercial manufacturers, in fact fast cure the coating at about 220C, for about 4-5 minutes to increase production rates. But that is the highest temperatures that I am aware of as being used.

As I have said, the setting and bonding of the coating and alloy both needs to get to 180C and held there or nearby for an extra 3 minutes to finish. (generally with oven around 200C)
    Having oven at 250, you would possibly get alloy to that 180C in very quick time.
    Also, it will be difficult to control exact reproducibility for each batch as a few seconds either way in oven may change results.
    Last edited by HI-TEK; 01-03-2018 at 07:52 AM.

Banned
    Thanks Joe

Guys
    Pistol test with Hi Tek and PC has been delayed. We are in the deep freeze here until next week. They are warning people against staying outside too long. Have had several cases of frostbite at the hospital. Barely getting above freezing for quite a few days now. Wind chill to single digits. Lake behind house is freezing over. Something we don't normally see here in the South. It is so cold that my progressive press in the basement will not operate correctly and I don't want that coming into play with the loaded round. It's a Hornady and I thought it might need greasing. But that didn't help. The viscosity of the grease was way too thick with the low temps in the basement. Will revisit next week.

Global warming is like most politician's and their promises, never around when you need it.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    Guys
    Global warming is like most politician's and their promises, never around when you need it.
    Avenger, politicians and global warming.......... don't start me up with this......
    30 plus years ago, it was destruction of the Earth due to Ozone depletion. Collaborating governments destroyed many companies who were accused of making these devastating materials that will destroy the world.
    This has all gone quiet.
    We now have the next agenda, (TAX) based on Global warming by humans activity. The tax was going to fix it all.......as people paying these taxes will stop warming the earth....WHAT?????????
    When the scam was exposed, the direction changed. It is now climate change. I agree, climate is changing, summer, winter, autumn, spring......
    I saw an article about this subject where it was claimed as having a world wide collaboration by people in authority, to simply raise money with the scam. (What is the money for???)

I have no idea, and, if we believe/convinced with all that is stated, and we all pay the imposed taxes, how this will suddenly repair or fix this climate change, (short or long term) global warming or whatever is now being peddled to the masses??????

Apology for my rant, but this has really annoyed me for a long time...

That's OK Joe. I think it annoys any critical thinking human being.

You sound like you are old enough to remember the 70s when we were about to enter the next ice age according to scientist paid good money to research it. Then it was ozone depletion in the 90s and we were all going to burn to death along with the earth. Now it's climate change and the people paying for the research get to define what that is. It is not science if not proven to be correct. They cannot do that so it is only theory. And we don't need to pay heed to every theory that comes down the road. That is how the earth got flat and the sun rotated around the earth. But don't you just wish sometimes they would make up their mind what the theory is and stick with it.

No disrespect meant to you and you profession but I have met some guys while working on research facilities that would try to use calculus to prove that 1+1=3 if there was a grant attached to it. I think you know what I mean. Truth and real proof were relative terms and not subject to the tenants of true science.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

First try at shake & bake 1035 gold powder. Boolits are 185gr WFN, GC - been sized and GC installed. Powder has been in the garage a couple years so i know it's damp & clumpy. Actually coated pretty well - first coat is a gold 'stain', little more color at the clumps. Wipe & smash OK, I'll test the sizer effect (due to clumps) after the second coat. Got the powder tub inside to try to de-humidify it some. This stuff doesn't appear to 'flow' as well as PC but actually coated with just a short 'swirl'.
    Whatever!

After trying powder coat with mixed results I got hold of some Hitek powder from a member of my local club tried it today on some 310 cadets
    this just seems to work so much easier than dry tumble powder coating

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by smlekid View Post

After trying powder coat with mixed results I got hold of some Hitek powder from a member of my local club tried it today on some 310 cadets
    They look great.
    Looks like you have mastered the coating system.
    Well done.

Banned
    [url=https://ibb.co/ky1U1b]
    Good job on your first attempt, HiTek isn't that hard IF you follow the directions.

Not to be negative but how were the rub and smash tests?

Thanks I really can't believe how simple this method is I followed the instructions and it worked!! Is there a post on here that shows the different colours that are available? I really would like to see a Zombie green and a bright red for my 45 and 9mm maybe some other colours for the 44mag and 357
    I've been reading through this Thread and am only at page 40 I think I have a lot more pages to get through
    Rub and smash test were great no issues
    Last edited by smlekid; 01-07-2018 at 05:30 AM. Reason: add smash test

Banned
    go here,
    http://hi-performancebulletcoatings....-oz-container/
    click on the color squares to show pictures of that colored bullets

Thanks Grmps just what I was looking for Unfortunately there isn't a picture of the lime green boolit
    has anyone used this colour?

Boolit Master

Thanks Grmps just what I was looking for Unfortunately there isn't a picture of the lime green boolit
    has anyone used this colour?
    Picture of Zombie Green or Zombie Killers as some call it...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zombie Killers.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	211259

Thanks HI-TEK that's what I was looking for I'll send you an email order sometime this week

Boolit Master
    Ummmmm... that is Kryptonite Green.......
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Ummmmm... that is Kryptonite Green.......

You are correct it is Kryptonite Green. It must have been my bloodshot crossed eyes from Christmas celebrations.
    It looks like I chose wrong picture to upload.
    Here is correct one (I hope)

Name:	Zombie 2 US.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	211348
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Zombie IN US.jpg  

I think I prefer the Kryptonite green is there a red that has a similar finish to the Kryptonite green?

Boolit Master
    Anyone getting any "Siamese Twins": bullets stuck together after the bake?

As I was running short I used a new batch of the black cherry for my second coat, preparing the same mix I used before (20 g in 120 ml acetone), from the same container of HiTek and the same acetone, well mixed (vigorous shaking with a bullet in the container), letting it stand for a few hours, more vigorous shaking each before each application, using 5 ml on 4.5 # of the same casts I've always coated, baked the same way. Same oven (a Breville) at the same temp and time. Same shake and turn halfway through. Same trays.

For the first time, I got bullets stuck together. Usually side by side, occasionally end to end. Pulling them apart will expose a tiny bit of lead. Wipe and smash tests pass for every bake.

This did not happen with the first coat, which used the prior mix.

The one thing I can think that was otherwise different was that part of the acetone I used to mix up the new batch was the wash I used to clean up the bullet coating container. This made up a little less than a half of the acetone. I'd tried to used it before as a first coat, but it was too dilute, so I thought it wouldn't add much HiTek to the final mix, figuring at most it might get the final mix close to the standard 20 g per 100 ml others use.

Boolit Master

I think I prefer the Kryptonite green is there a red that has a similar finish to the Kryptonite green?
    I don't know if Candy Apple will suit or not?

Name:	Candy Apple.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	211349

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    Anyone getting any "Siamese Twins": bullets stuck together after the bake?

The one thing I can think that was otherwise different was that part of the acetone I used to mix up the new batch was the wash I used to clean up the bullet coating container. This made up a little less than a half of the acetone. I'd tried to used it before as a first coat, but it was too dilute, so I thought it wouldn't add much HiTek to the final mix, figuring at most it might get the final mix close to the standard 20 g per 100 ml others use.
    Coating container wash mostly is OK for first coat. Keep in mind, that first coat will always be or should be very thin, and may appear uneven, blotchy. After thorough drying and baking of first coat, if smash test is OK and solvent rub test is OK, then a second heavier coat will cover imperfections and make finished product more pretty.

By your washing coating container, then adding more coating, you really did not have any idea of just how much coating you ended up with in the wash Acetone.

The bonding of two projectiles is telling me that you had too much coating, and the load already had reached cure conditions when you allegedly took tray out to shake and return to oven.
    The bonding at that half way point would already there, before shaking tray and further baking simply bonded them more strongly..

Page 470 of 742 FirstFirst ... 370420460461462463464465466467468469470471472473474475476477478479480520570 ... LastLast