Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    Now I lost sleep over the Wipe Test thing. Please educate me.

I found a slightly better pic of Camo Boolits. Our deer season starts today, camo boolits would be nice to have.

Attachment 226426

Boolit Master
    If you can Juuuuuuuussssssttttttt (faintly) see colour on the white paper towel, then you are good to go.
    But if you have easy to see colour , then, fail.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    If you can Juuuuuuuussssssttttttt (faintly) see colour on the white paper towel, then you are good to go.
    But if you have easy to see colour , then, fail.
    Okay,thanks.

No wipe with gold, the new oven just gave me six pounds of these. I might group these one day with Marlin, it's just that I'm completely bored with shooting groups these days. Bench rest for a couple of decades got boring.

I hit clays with these @ 75 m just fine,standing. I can hit sugarcubes with my br rifles @ 75 m as well. Clays @ 300. But so what?

Attachment 226446
    Last edited by Petander; 09-01-2018 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Bragging.

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=Petander;4445183]It's all about my alloy,I can get good bullets in the "old" oven & HCL wash.

Now did a test: I fluxed like a behemoth to see what I get while making small ingots from the big ones.

The bullets do not react with HCL! But they react with bleach,bleach is to the right:

Attachment 226359

Petander
    The Bleach contains about 2-4% Sodium Hydroxide, (Caustic Soda). The Caustic will start to dissolve the Lead, and the resulting Lead salt produced will stay water soluble. Then, almost instantly, any other metals trapped in alloy, that is more reactive than Lead will start to displace solubilised Lead from solution. It is possible, that the murky liquid contains very fine Lead particles, plus, the metals that displaced the Lead from solution also may become insoluble, and also may add to sludge suspension in the liquid..
    With Hydrochloric Acid, any metals being solubilised, or react with the acid, will not show up as such sludge, liquid may stay clear, as all metals that is dissolved/solubilised in the acidic liquid will stay in solution.. That is why acid cleaning solution remains clear. It does not mean, that the Acid has not reacted with the alloy. Magnification and examination of surface before and after will reveal if there is any etching by the acid.

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=HI-TEK;4448412]
    Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    It's all about my alloy,I can get good bullets in the "old" oven & HCL wash.

Now did a test: I fluxed like a behemoth to see what I get while making small ingots from the big ones.

The bullets do not react with HCL! But they react with bleach,bleach is to the right:

Attachment 226359

Petander
    The Bleach contains about 2-4% Sodium Hydroxide, (Caustic Soda). The Caustic will start to dissolve the Lead, and the resulting Lead salt produced will stay water soluble. Then, almost instantly, any other metals trapped in alloy, that is more reactive than Lead will start to displace solubilised Lead from solution. It is possible, that the murky liquid contains very fine Lead particles, plus, the metals that displaced the Lead from solution also may become insoluble, and also may add to sludge suspension in the liquid..
    With Hydrochloric Acid, any metals being solubilised, or react with the acid, will not show up as such sludge, liquid may stay clear, as all metals that is dissolved/solubilised in the acidic liquid will stay in solution.. That is why acid cleaning solution remains clear. It does not mean, that the Acid has not reacted with the alloy. Magnification and examination of surface before and after will reveal if there is any etching by the acid.
    I really should have paid more attention to the professor then to the women in college chem

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=Rich22;4448413]
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post

I really should have paid more attention to the professor then to the women in college chem

Rich22,
    I also agree. When I was in school, I was very interested with chemistry and such, but I often did not listed to the teacher. However, when it was time to think about my future and work, I decided to pursue industrial Chemical trade. Going to college to get qualifications, soon revealed what I missed out by not learning/listening in high school. I had to do twice as much work just to catch up. I then went into all sorts of different areas of manufacturing chemistry, metallurgy, water treatment, Pharmaceutical manufacturing, detergent manufacturing, quality control in a brewery, road construction asphalt manufacture, solvent recovery, chemical engineering and manufacturing. I probably have forgotten more that I can remember. For a while, I became disenchanted with the industry, and pursued Welding/fabricating as a trade. I soon realised that this was not for me, and returned back to my trade.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=HI-TEK;4448412]

Petander
    I see,thanks.

I'm just wondering because I have HCL soaked many,many batches now. All my bullets have turned dark grey or almost black, the liquid has stayed clear though. Now these looked different,like nothing was happening.

All those soaked bullets have coated fine - Keep On Soaking In the Free World!

Boolit Master
    I'm just about to mix abrasives with Hi-Tek for firelapping.

Got my hands on a nice 458 Socom but the new barrel is ridiculously rough. With jacketed bullets it is fouling 50 times more than my Marlin,also new. Five shots and you can paint a house green with the stuff that comes out the barrel with Bore Tech copper removal.

I tried some 480 grainers @ 1480 fps. Great fun but the barrel can't take cast or coatings (hardly can take a jacket without continuous cleaning) as it is,being like sandpaper.

Reading is in m/s.

Attachment 226682

I bought a new Beretta 92FS that has a barrel like that, looked like a rolled up piece of 320 grit sand paper. I sent it back to Beretta sure they would replace it but it came back with a note it was "acceptable". Can't shoot cast through it yet but it has smoothed out a lot with just 4-5 hundred rounds of jacketed, I was happily surprised. I snagged a deal on a box of 2000 jacketed Rem bullets for $45 a few years ago so I'm not to worried yet, by the time I get through all of them it should smooth out enough that casts will be OK.
    Be careful what you wish for!

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=Petander;4449637][QUOTE=HI-TEK;4448412]

I see,thanks.

I'm just wondering because I have HCL soaked many,many batches now. All my bullets have turned dark grey or almost black, the liquid has stayed clear though. Now these looked different,like nothing was happening.

Petander
    It is possible, that you have used up majority of the acid, so that is why (may be) you are not getting as much or quick reaction. There may be some acid left, but not as much to allow you to see a fast result.
    What amount of surface etching is achieved, may be adequate for good bonding. It may be an interesting test to try and use a fresh acid water mix, and see if you get different etching rates.

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=Petander;4449663]I'm just about to mix abrasives with Hi-Tek for firelapping.

Petander,
    What are you thinking of using as an abrasive?
    It may be difficult to size to correct diameter, with any abrasive agent being mixed with coating.
    Abrasive may damage your sizing die unless it is a Nitride hardened Carbide type.

Boolit Master
    Just thinking firelapping. I know I shouldn't.

I always use fresh acid mix for soaking.

Boolit Master

Just thinking firelapping. I know I shouldn't.

I always use fresh acid mix for soaking.

OK. It is probably best way and consistent.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by benellinut View Post
    I bought a new Beretta 92FS that has a barrel like that, looked like a rolled up piece of 320 grit sand paper. I sent it back to Beretta sure they would replace it but it came back with a note it was "acceptable". Can't shoot cast through it yet but it has smoothed out a lot with just 4-5 hundred rounds of jacketed, I was happily surprised. I snagged a deal on a box of 2000 jacketed Rem bullets for $45 a few years ago so I'm not to worried yet, by the time I get through all of them it should smooth out enough that casts will be OK.
    Acceptable is a funny word.

Shooting a bucketful of jacketed is an option. I understand this is "only an AR" so the standards are not up to match barrels. But I'd like to shoot cast now because I have it,got no feeding issues whatsoever.

Acceptable is an opinion. Beretta used to be one of the better manufacturers. I haven't shot any of their guns in years but I'm a little surprised they would use that word with an obviously unsatisfied customer. It lacks a customer first attitude.

Have been shooting the Marlin Cowboy with Hi Tek bullets for a few weeks trying to find a load with some powder I got in a deal. It's probably not the best powder for my application. But I don't have another rifle to use it in. No Leading, but this powder sure is dirty. And the Marlin barrel doen't help. Petander I might look at something to smooth it out. Have you done fire lap with a Marlin barrel?
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    Acceptable is an opinion. Beretta used to be one of the better manufacturers. I haven't shot any of their guns in years but I'm a little surprised they would use that word with an obviously unsatisfied customer. It lacks a customer first attitude.
    Agreed, I was taken back. It will be the last Beretta I'll ever buy, new or used. Too bad because other then the barrel I do like the gun but they lost a customer by not standing behind their product, could have been just a bad call on one day by one employee but I can't trust them now.
    Be careful what you wish for!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    Petander I might look at something to smooth it out. Have you done fire lap with a Marlin barrel?
    No I haven't. I have not firelapped anything . But I hand lapped my first 1895 with cast slugs and it made a huge difference. Leading stopped .That was almost 20 years ago, now my new SBL is working fine right out of the box. It is clean with Hi-Tek bullets. Surprisingly nice barrel really.

I'm seriously planning firelapping the Socom,I want to shoot,I want to shoot a lot,not clean.

I certainly understand the desire of cleaning less frequently. No one I know likes spending an hour cleaning every time they go to the range. I can shoot many more rounds in the Weatherby barrel than the Marlin without cleaning. Sometimes the Weatherby will look almost as clean, with a couple of passes with a patch, after a trip to the range as it did before I went. Sometimes I don't even do the patch before the next range trip. The 1035 Gold, what I use most in the Weatherby barrel, just doesn't leave any fouling. Which I see as one of the selling points of Hi Tek. Once it is properly applied and some applied knowledge is done with the round then there is no fouling. Of course there is always some powder fouling. I'm not sure that they will ever figure out how to burn a powder and not leave a residue. Some are cleaner than others. The SW 4350 that I have been using in the Marlin is not one of the clean ones but it can give me 2" groups at 100 yards. Which may be all this gun is capable of. We will see.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

No I haven't. I have not firelapped anything . But I hand lapped my first 1895 with cast slugs and it made a huge difference. Leading stopped .That was almost 20 years ago, now my new SBL is working fine right out of the box. It is clean with Hi-Tek bullets. Surprisingly nice barrel really.

I'm seriously planning firelapping the Socom,I want to shoot,I want to shoot a lot,not clean.
    interesting reading about the bearthoots boolits .seems to work very good on such rough barrels like your 450 socom. would certainly give it a try .if i had to find a solution for such problem like yours.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/thr...s-or-no.12670/

Boolit Master
    All guns are different. I need 20 fouling shots for my 300 WM to shoot tightest groups. I then clean it ( remove all copper) at 50 or so with Forrest foam. That's jacketed of course. In between I only wipe with oil.

Marlin can take many boxes of cast Hi-Tek, I don't need to clean lead because there's no lead.

Now enter 458 Socom,one Hornady 350 bullet fired from an absolutely clean barrel.

Attachment 226798

This is rough.

EDIT: The rifle is excellent by all other means than fouling - and a careful shoot one/clean /shoot one - break-in will most probably help. I didn't expect that but well, live and learn. I started it with five rounds but then I ran out of patches.And a few hundred J-bullets after break-in may be needed to try cast again. I'm just rushing with cast bullets , a basic AR is not a precision,hand lapped instrument.

But I will feed this with cast sooner or later.
    Last edited by Petander; 09-08-2018 at 06:59 PM.