Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    That is the thing you don't think about initially, the heat causes the air to rise and pull in more oxygen to fuel the fire even more.

My brother is looking at building a house in a "fire area" as in an area that has never burnt either, but the council says you need to ensure all the outside is fire proof and wire mesh for where embers can touch timber (like crimsafe). I'd like to think it would never burn from an ember, but when embers are flying at your house like the sparks from a grinder, it is more likely one will start a fire.

Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    I have videos and photos but I cannot post them. I saw first hand, this fire travel some 25 kilometres in about an hour, burning every thing in its path fanned by high wind and the huge air suction created by heat rising and burning process.
    I have seen a wall of flames 3 KM plus long and 50 metres high.

We can wet areas, and, despite our premises being made from non flammable material cladding, Steel frames, the embers entering places causes fires inside these buildings.
    This was clearly demonstrated with many that had already property burnt to the ground, and had pictures of half melted Steel on the ground.
    Seeing images and videos is one thing but, being there and witnessing firsthand is completely different. I was at Canberra when the bush fires tore through there many years ago. Provided assistance refilling tankers from a dam near Brindabella National Park, North West of ACT - NSW border. I will not forget the noise of the fire, how fast fire can travel and the weather conditions made by the fire itself. The paddock where the dam was located was pretty much just dirt, very little vegetation and I thought we were safe there but, to see what looked like dirt caching on fire and burning was just unbelievable.

Definitely not a good situation at the moment. I hope you are spared the devastation that has come to so many areas of NSW & QLD.

Boolit Master
    Our thoughts are with you, Joe, and with all those at risk.

Joe

We get some news about fires in California. But didn't realize you guys were having trouble like that there. Praying for you and yours to be spared the destruction.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    I have all the important items packed in washing baskets, Clothes in suitcases, Dog harnesses and leads on the patio. Sprinkler on the roof of the house, the 2 driving school cars parked in the centre of the yard with a sprinkler ready to spray water over them. The Missus's car has all her work computer and student files in it. My Ute will get everything in baskets thrown in the back of it and the 2 dogs on the back seat. Then we bugger off into town and wait for the fire to pass. If our place survives, so be it. If not? We are insured. Guns and everything else can be replaced. Everyone stay safe... See you all on the other side.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    I have all the important items packed in washing baskets, Clothes in suitcases, Dog harnesses and leads on the patio. Sprinkler on the roof of the house, the 2 driving school cars parked in the centre of the yard with a sprinkler ready to spray water over them. The Missus's car has all her work computer and student files in it. My Ute will get everything in baskets thrown in the back of it and the 2 dogs on the back seat. Then we bugger off into town and wait for the fire to pass. If our place survives, so be it. If not? We are insured. Guns and everything else can be replaced. Everyone stay safe... See you all on the other side.
    I didn't realize it was close to you, i had in my head that your suburb wasn't "wooded" as such and you'd be more than clear, but there is bush land everywhere and it can move so easily.

Glad you are all prepared like Joe is, i figured the same, "stuff" can be replaced, and that's what insurance is for, the stuff that can't, you make sure you take extra care of that so it can't be destroyed.

Stay safe down there, we re getting all the smoke and haze, but at least we aren't on fire.

Boolit Master
    Good luck and be safe, Trevor.

Boolit Buddy
    Be safe guys.

Sounds pretty bad on the news.

Boolit Master
    So far, So good.
    The fire has not moved north towards us.....yet.
    Just spoke to Joe and he is in Town but his place is still OK at this time.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Lets hope it stays that way!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    Lets hope it stays that way!

Thanks Tazza,
    We decided that it was not safe to stay, and we evacuated to town, and staying at a hotel
    During our stay, we had updates that our street was on fire. I phoned the emergency landline and wanted an update, and I also advised that we have our premises surrounded by State forest and can he please make aware firefighting crew about our place and location.
    I was told, that he put us on their system.
    Today we had confirmation, that road was open again, so we hurried back to check on things. Thank God all is OK. Then we again received warning that a fire is near us again. We were ready to leave again, but the Southerly wind came, and the fire was pushed away from us.
    The change was great, but now pushed fire into other areas and others are now in danger.
    All the media is saying that possibly over 50% of these fires were deliberately started, then the strong wind carried burning embers up to 20 km away, starting new fires..
    I am concerned, that may be there is some truth in this, as fires all seem to be started in bushland without any reasonable explanations.
    Inspection of our yard, we can see a huge amount of burnt sticks, leaves and bark.
    I am thankful, that they all were not burning when they landed here.

Boolit Master
    That's great news that you seem to be in the clear now.

The sad thing is, people do light fires just because.... They either don't understand how bad it is, or just don't care that it puts property and lives at risk.

I never thought embers could travel so far, but you're the second person to say this, so it has to be true. The bosses brother lives on the coast in northern NSW, i don't remember the suburb, but apparently, the beach is covered in ash and burnt sticks..... There current;y are no fires really close to him, so the ash and burnt sticks came from somewhere.....

Hopefully they have it all under control and you get some rain to put the fires out.

Boolit Master
    90% of the fires started in National parks where there is no Hazard reduction burns in winter. They also let all the fire trails grow over.
    Lightning strikes started most of the fires.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    90% of the fires started in National parks where there is no Hazard reduction burns in winter. They also let all the fire trails grow over.
    Lightning strikes started most of the fires.
    I heard they blame "dry lightning" for starting fires, i have never seen lightning when it wasn't raining.

Boolit Master
    Yep Dry Lightning is very common. Static charge builds up during dry weather and you get the electric discharge. Especially when the humidity is very low. Have a look at the Essential energy storm tracker site and check lightning strike box. you will be amazed at how many there are...
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Must be cause it's so humid up in Brisbane that i never see it

It makes sense, just never saw it, bet it looks awesome.

Boolit Master
    Ausglock hit the nail on the head. There are three elements to fire, heat fuel and oxygen, if you remove any one of them there is no fire. I remember as a young kid everyone did a burn off in the winter months and fire breaks were kept clear but with the rising number of ill informed greenies who consider burning off in a controlled manner to be detrimental to the flora and fauna. I wonder if these same fools have ever seen the destruction a wild fire does to flora and fauna let alone the property and human loss. My thoughts and best wishes are with those who are in these areas. Regards Stephen

Yep, the Greens and their greenie ilk might not be in government but they are certainly infiltrating councils and they would have to be considered prime movers in stopping controlled burning and removal of the dangerous buildup of flammable material. Doesn't bother most of them because they are townies and it makes them feel good.

On a more mundane note, I recently bought some Candy Apple Red from a guy and tried it today. First coat looked like my Bronze, hmmm. Second coat looked like a dark Bronze to me. More hmmm. I did a third coat on one batch, just to see what it would look like. The best way I can describe it is a darkish Bronze, with a slight dark burgundy tinge, and quite shiny. But Candy Apple Red? Don't think so. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't look too bad and should work fine, but I was rather hoping for a red boolit!
    Anyone else use it and if so what were your results?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    Yep, the Greens and their greenie ilk might not be in government but they are certainly infiltrating councils and they would have to be considered prime movers in stopping controlled burning and removal of the dangerous buildup of flammable material. Doesn't bother most of them because they are townies and it makes them feel good.

On a more mundane note, I recently bought some Candy Apple Red from a guy and tried it today. First coat looked like my Bronze, hmmm. Second coat looked like a dark Bronze to me. More hmmm. I did a third coat on one batch, just to see what it would look like. The best way I can describe it is a darkish Bronze, with a slight dark burgundy tinge, and quite shiny. But Candy Apple Red? Don't think so. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't look too bad and should work fine, but I was rather hoping for a red boolit!
    Anyone else use it and if so what were your results?
    Was that the coating old mate was selling on the AHN forum?
    Candy Apple is just that. a sparkly red.
    This is Candy Apple red.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    You could sell then as "Prepper Chistmas Ornaments".....
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Page 623 of 742 FirstFirst ... 123523573613614615616617618619620621622623624625626627628629630631632633673723 ... LastLast