MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee Precision

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    I will have to agree with Avenger. I know with my money situation I can't buy alloy. That is why I dig out of the berm at the range. It is a lot of work but I have no other option. So far I have not had any problems coating what I dig.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by slide View Post
    I will have to agree with Avenger. I know with my money situation I can't buy alloy. That is why I dig out of the berm at the range. It is a lot of work but I have no other option. So far I have not had any problems coating what I dig.
    Same here, it's a stupidly large process, but the stuff i mine is free, it's just a matter of time spent getting it and cleaning. I think i nearly killed my brother when he last helped me do some mining in the middle of summer, I ended up with about 300kg of ingots, but we were digging for a good 6 hours..... We were both buggered.

There is a shooting range about a half mile from my house. I don't shoot there for the same reason I don't usually buy alloy. The expense and can shoot free other places. The owner lets me mine the berms some. I don't do it much for the same reason Tazza mentioned. It is less work to just to sort and buy it from the scrap yard at .40 / pound. I can get 100 pounds for $40. Roto Metals is about $300 for 100 pounds plus shipping. I've been wanting to go to the new indoor range and see if I can get some there. There is money to be saved by the guy who is willing to scrounge and work for it.

But I guess Joe has a point. It is possible to contaminate a melt with scrap yard stuff.

Loading up some .45 auto for some fun shooting. Longshot and Hi Tec bullets, of course. Daughter and Granddaughters will probably find out about them and shoot them all like last time. Can't think of much more fun than watching them shoot up a couple thousand at the range. The youngest one is a better hand gun shooter than any of us. All of them, through the use of them, have been taught to be safe, respect, and be responsible using guns. Probably will load some .44 magnum, too. They don't like to shoot that one. I'll have to hide the .308.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    You are spot on that there are saving to be made if you are willing to work it, but it's one thing you have to work out what your time is worth. If i did my sums and worked on an hourly rate, my mining of the mounds at my club would probably not be worth it. It keeps me off the streets and helps pay for my shooting.

I could do the sums of what hourly rate i was working this for, but it would make me sad.

Boolit Buddy
    I get frustrated with people who react with the standard "but if you factored in your time" line. I mean, I get it, but if you apply that logic to everything that consumes your money or time, we would all be working 84hr weeks. We wouldn't cook, clean, mow, service, reload or probably even own our own vehicles. It is almost always more efficient to send the job to a professional.

I never got paid what I was worth anyway
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatch View Post
    I get frustrated with people who react with the standard "but if you factored in your time" line. I mean, I get it, but if you apply that logic to everything that consumes your money or time, we would all be working 84hr weeks. We wouldn't cook, clean, mow, service, reload or probably even own our own vehicles. It is almost always more efficient to send the job to a professional.
    The logic with my comment is, say you're a builder earning $50/hour. Your lawn needs mowing, the mower dood charges $25/hr it is better economics to pay someone to do the work for you. I personally don't factor in my time, i do things myself because i like to or i feel i will do the job the way i want it done.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    The logic with my comment is, say you're a builder earning $50/hour. Your lawn needs mowing, the mower dood charges $25/hr it is better economics to pay someone to do the work for you. I personally don't factor in my time, i do things myself because i like to or i feel i will do the job the way i want it done.
    My thoughts are directed at the people who look down on reloaders or god forbid casters..

I had to deal with a chap who cant fathom shooting anything other than factory ammo. The gunsmith cleans his guns...

Another dude recoiled in horror when I said I was interested in casting. "BUT YOUR TIME WAHHH"... pretty short conversation that was ha

Boolit Master
    We (my Business partner and I) do not take a wage from our bullet business. We both have day jobs and make bullets part time. We buy 2,6,92 alloy because we don't have the time to mine or visit scrappies.

Whatever we make from the business, goes back into it. More molds, Boxes, alloy, shipping cartons and coating etc etc.
    We rent a factory, so rent and power costs have to be made as well as loan repayment for the initial setup cost.
    If we were to do it full time and take a wage from the business, we would have to charge double what we are currently charging for bullets.
    I don't know how the big bullet makers actually make any money.
    I have about another 3 years until I retire from the sawmill/flooring business, so then can make bullets for longer periods rather than an hour of an arvo and 5 hrs of a Saturday.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    We (my Business partner and I) do not take a wage from our bullet business. We both have day jobs and make bullets part time. We buy 2,6,92 alloy because we don't have the time to mine or visit scrappies.

Whatever we make from the business, goes back into it. More molds, Boxes, alloy, shipping cartons and coating etc etc.
    We rent a factory, so rent and power costs have to be made as well as loan repayment for the initial setup cost.
    If we were to do it full time and take a wage from the business, we would have to charge double what we are currently charging for bullets.
    I don't know how the big bullet makers actually make any money.
    I have about another 3 years until I retire from the sawmill/flooring business, so then can make bullets for longer periods rather than an hour of an arvo and 5 hrs of a Saturday.
    Trevor

When you retire will you make any money or will you just spend more time not making money?
    I'm wondering if it's a lack of volume or if it's a lack or profit margin? Or both?

I'm dealing with a restaurant right now that's closing it's doors. Not due to lack of margin but lack of volume. He has a good profit margin but just not enough butts in the seats.

I've always toyed with commercial casting and just about every thread I read asking about it says don't bother because you'll lose all your money. I was considering doing it like you. Couple hours here and there and a full day on the weekend. Pay off the equipment and build a nice side business for retirement (in 33 or so more years)

Boolit Master
    How hot can your curing oven be before it starts to damage the coating? I would like to try water quenching a batch of bullets after the last coat. I don’t want to get them so hot it defeats the purpose, but the hotter they are the more benefit I will get in terms of hardness increase.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master
    MJS.... It is a volume thing.
    By only doing part time, We just can't make enough bullets.

We are actually turning customers away simply because we can't produce enough.

Elkins45. Once you go over 200Deg C the coating darkens, but will still work.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    MJS.... It is a volume thing.
    By only doing part time, We just can't make enough bullets.

We are actually turning customers away simply because we can't produce enough.
    I feel it's better to turn people away than to rush things and sell "crap" i have had people after more than i had, thankfully they have been happy to wait for me to do them. I won't cut corners, i'll never send something out the door that i'm not happy with. If i rushed, there is always the potential for them not to come out right. When i cast too fast, heat builds up and i have actually had bent projectiles due to them still being plyable when leaving the mould, when they hit another projectile, they bend or some fused to another.

Boolit Master
    I had a day off today. spent 7 hours on the Autocaster. run out 21,000 127SWC for an order to Thursday Island.
    Tomorrow I start coating and baking.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

work???

I had a day off today. spent 7 hours on the Autocaster. run out 21,000 127SWC for an order to Thursday Island.
    Tomorrow I start coating and baking.
    You gave away a days pay of doing nothing, to lifting Lead all day????
    That is a bit sus.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    You gave away a days pay of doing nothing, to lifting Lead all day????
    That is a bit sus.
    And I coated your latest DG additive. Bake tomorrow 1st coat.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Had an idea. I've been water dropping into a galvanised bucket, I wonder if that would effect the hitek coating

Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    How hot can your curing oven be before it starts to damage the coating? I would like to try water quenching a batch of bullets after the last coat. I don’t want to get them so hot it defeats the purpose, but the hotter they are the more benefit I will get in terms of hardness increase.
    You will melt the lead before you damage the coating. Like Trevor said, it will turn dark but still perform the lubrication you need for no leading.

Boolit Buddy
    Cast 2 batches with hardball tonight. Not water dropped. Coated one batch, then acid washed and coated another. Will bake and coat a second time tomorrow.

Boolit Master

testing

Quote Originally Posted by Gatch View Post
    Cast 2 batches with hardball tonight. Not water dropped. Coated one batch, then acid washed and coated another. Will bake and coat a second time tomorrow.
    Just curious.. and.... I am at a loss.....why did you do this with the hardball alloy????
    did this alloy fizz or produce any bubbles? If it is a 2:6:92 alloy, you should have gotten no reaction with the acid.

If I remember correctly, I asked you to cast some of your Mystery alloy and acid treat it, to see if you then get an acid reaction (bubbling or fizz), and subsequently, proper adhesion.

Page 610 of 742 FirstFirst ... 110510560600601602603604605606607608609610611612613614615616617618619620660710 ... LastLast