Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Glockfan
    The difficulty comes from gradual sneaking in of small changes, that eventually end up preventing any one owning any guns.
    It has happened here. Criminal activity has caused Knee Jerk reactions by politicians, and a signing of a paper, suddenly, proper law abiding citizens became criminals for owning a gun.
    There seems a world wide combined activity to ban all guns.
    What is not able to be done is to stop guns being owned by criminals . Proper licensed gun owners are always targeted as the pollies know where these guns are located.
    So all are patting each other on the backs as having done a public service, but the problem areas are not fixed at all.
    Exactly,that is happening little by little up here as well. We are facing the "ten round magazine" thing now. Even though we have limits for hunting already,have had those for decades already. Now we will have a million illegal magazines all over the country. People lose guns for driving a car too fast etc. Hunters have to hide their hobby. I may be in trouble for using my own name over here and some other gun boards one day.

The worst thing is,young people do not bother with all the paperwork,control,they don't like being treated as potential criminals. They don't get into hunting or shooting sports,they do easier things... soon people can't shoot or handle firearms. I'm 55 and I'm on the young side in the hunting and shooting clubs that I'm a member of.
    Last edited by Petander; 09-18-2018 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    Look at crime stats for Maine and Vermont. Lowest in nation. Why? Hardly any sanctions on the 2nd amendment. (Moving this discussion to another Forum maybe)
    ..yep,and what amaze me the most is,democrats predominate the state since the late 60's.....before that, the state was all about republicans. and it is still THE state where you don't want to start to talk about messing with 2A!!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by glockfan View Post
    ..yep,and what amaze me the most is,democrats predominate the state since the late 60's.....before that, the state was all about republicans. and it is still THE state where you don't want to start to talk about messing with 2A!!!
    You would think that this would set an example for the rest of nation, I'll never understand politics I guess.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    You would think that this would set an example for the rest of nation, I'll never understand politics I guess.
    Or the ignorance of the voting public in some areas.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    So far so good with the 122 red, i just need to fine tune the application. After cooking, it is more of a lighter cherry colour, but looks great all the same.

From my rough maths, i'm getting about 1,000 projectiles coated for every 10 grams of powder. So approximatly 100,000 per kg of powder. That is one coat of 120ml acetone to 20g of powder for the first coat, the second and third coats are 100ml:20grams.

I might be using a little more coating than i need, but i'm trying to get the lube groves coated, just for aesthetics, as i know this section does not touch the barrel, but people are fussy.... Ideally no lube grove moulds would be great, like Ausglock uses, his look awesome.

I'm considering trying to use a 120:20 for the second and third coats, but use more product, the acetone will evaporate and leave a thicker coating. Just means it will need tumbling longer to give it time to evaporate off.

I'm using a standard household oven with old steel trays.

If an idiot like me can get Hi-Tek to stick, anyone can!

Boolit Master
    Is it 122K or 122L???
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    That is a good question.... Pretty sure it just had 122 on the container.

It looked red/slightly purple in powder and liquid form, I was hoping for bright red like the american eagle 9mm that are floating around, but i'm not disappointed with this colour. Nice and shiny and very slippery.

Boolit Master
    The red closest to the Synteck Eagle stuff is the Canine Pecker Red (DDR) or Red 254
    There was an old liquid red 2FR2K (2013 I think) years ago that was also close. Still have the sample of it up in the shed.
    Black Widow used to use 122, but he changed to red 254.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    I may have to hit Joe up for 254 or DDR for the next lot to have a play with. Yet everyone i have shown samples of the 122 coated ones, they really like the colour.

I was old fashioned, i wanted plain boring black but got talked into trying a colour, that i really do like.

It's nice to have "your" colour, then people see your ammo and go i know who made those projectiles!

Boolit Master

various

Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    I may have to hit Joe up for 254 or DDR for the next lot to have a play with. Yet everyone i have shown samples of the 122 coated ones, they really like the colour.

I was old fashioned, i wanted plain boring black but got talked into trying a colour, that i really do like.

It's nice to have "your" colour, then people see your ammo and go i know who made those projectiles!
    Tazza,
    Generally, you can use 120mls Acetone with 20g Hi-Tek powdered coating. Use same volume/quantity as you would use with 20/100g ratio.
    The more Acetone mix will get into lube grooves, and also leave better drying finish. What you must keep in mind, that More Acetone, evaporating, can chill the casts much more, so moisture pick up can become a problem if you don't dry first coat very well.
    Generally two coats should be just fine.

If you like 122, you may also like Candy Apple which is similar too the Red 122 but has Gold Flecks through coating.
    We also have a 122 version which has Pearlescent appearance, (it is not produced in any quantity)
    The DDR Red is a pinkish red (flesh type colour, named by Ausglock. Just ask him about that colour) This is not used in Aus.
    The 254, is used by another commercial caster here and is not available.

Boolit Master
    I love the Candy Apple red
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Banned

Boolit Master
    Hahahaha... Drop bears and Wombats love you yank tourists.... keeps their belly's full. they love the taste.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Look at it this way Ausglock. You guys walk on the up side
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    Here you can find your exact Other Side Location:

http://www.antipodr.com/

Attachment 227527.

Attachment 227528

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Here you can find your exact Other Side Location:

http://www.antipodr.com/

Attachment 227527.

Attachment 227528
    Interesting. Id be in the middle of the Indian Ocean.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Guys the KCI Magazine for Glock .45 ACP 26Rds that I mentioned in the earlier post I would not recommend for a pistol caliber rifle. They seem to work for some who have used them in Glocks but.....

Shot about 200 rounds of .38 special, 100 rounds of .45 ACP and about 100 rounds of .308 coated with 1035 Gold today with the grandkids and my daughter. No issues what so ever. They loved it.

Boolit Master
    100 meters yesterday.

Good bullets,bad shooting.

Attachment 227624

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    100 meters yesterday.

Good bullets,bad shooting.

Attachment 227624

we all goes trough such ''bad days''' . some days,it's trigger control,other days,it's the sight picture who move around. i can feel before i hit the range if it's goin to be a '''ragged hole ''' day or a ''''12 gauge session''' with my pistols.....i'm mainly a pistol shooter,and it takes so little to mess a target.i started to practice my bullseye shooting recently instead of the ipsc double taps....wheeew. i must re-train my strenght clamping the gun just enough so the sights freeze on the target. first few targets were ugly.

honestly,i don't see a difference in accuracy between my casts and the zeros jacketed i was using before i started casting my own. i can extract a 1 moa at 25meters solidly benched from my hi tek'ed boolits. in fact, i feel i'm getting more consistency from my own casts because the quality control is applied by ME. i only keep the perfect ones, so that means i'm getting a very good consistency though out an X batch i've loaded. that means i have NO flyers,and my targets confirm that.

Boolit Master
    This horizontal thing happens to me with AR:s /sandbags.

I'm pretty good with bolt rifles with bipods/bags/whatever. I have shot them for decades "free recoil" so that I'm holding the rear bag with my left hand. Shoulder/cheek pressure only,the right hand merely "surrounds" the grip, only the trigger finger is really touching. Very consistent,I try to disturb the gun as little as possible.

Transition from that form to support an AR that's jumping around seems to take some time to figure out. I might get three in one hole,then the next one goes 2" to the left or right for no reason I can tell. There must be some unnoticed variables in my form.

Page 531 of 742 FirstFirst ... 31431481521522523524525526527528529530531532533534535536537538539540541581631 ... LastLast