Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    Sounds like you are on the right track. Couple more minutes baking may do the trick. How long did you allow the bullets to dry before baking? When I went to twelve minute bakes it made all the difference. Each oven and situation is different. Good Luck!
    Last edited by slide; 05-25-2016 at 07:16 AM. Reason: need to add more info
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master

I let this batch dry a day or two after the first coating. After the second coating- maybe an hr. The second coating was applied while they were still pretty warm from the first cook. I have found that heating the bullets up by placing them on the top of the oven definitely does make a difference in how the coating goes on.
    Last edited by Beau Cassidy; 05-25-2016 at 08:42 AM.
    At one with the gun.

Boolit Master
    Nw that it is getting colder down here in OZ, I have a small fan heater ($10) lying down above the tray of bullets, blowing warm air over them. this is enough to prepare them for baking after 10 minutes.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Loaded 50 45/70 last night, will be interesting to see how these go. 3 coats copper but then run through the lube sizer and Lyman BPG applied as they have been loaded with BP.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Nw that it is getting colder down here in OZ, I have a small fan heater ($10) lying down above the tray of bullets, blowing warm air over them. this is enough to prepare them for baking after 10 minutes.
    when l get lil more money , gonna come dwn & hang out with ya. You'll be tickled to death.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gunoil View Post
    when l get lil more money , gonna come dwn & hang out with ya. You'll be tickled to death.
    It would be great to see you. Have you been down under before?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    It would be great to see you. Have you been down under before?
    Wanta try some d.u. whiskey! Had a close friend that stayed d.u. long time. Mom & dad went, they loved it. We had putt-putt golf courses there 60's 70's. May still be a few there. Uncle died, dads 90. I never got to go. Maybe next 6 years/my plan. I can remember the girl boy rational, much girls, not many boys!!! Dont know how it is now.

brevity&misspelling rampant

Boolit Buddy
    Quick question guys, i have some softish lead bullets, 3% antimony and a little over sized, I am thinking of sizing after the first bake. Would the second and third coat and bake take?

Currently when i size after the 3rd bake some bullets are scrape so much you can see the lead. Just thinking they may be too smooth for the coating to bond?

Boolit Master
    I'd say that if the coating is coming off after 3 coats, you alloy is far too soft or you have a very rough sizer die.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

I have coated 8 BHN with three coats and sized after last coat. Just saying probably need to look at the sizing die first. I had to polish my Lee dies, some of them twice, to keep them from pulling the coating off. Just finished a batch of 44s that is 8 BHN with three coats that had no problem with pulling the coating off. Sizing after first bake is what I normally do.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Quote Originally Posted by Mozz View Post
    Quick question guys, i have some softish lead bullets, 3% antimony and a little over sized, I am thinking of sizing after the first bake. Would the second and third coat and bake take?

Currently when i size after the 3rd bake some bullets are scrape so much you can see the lead. Just thinking they may be too smooth for the coating to bond?
    I always size after first bake, irrespective of how many future coats it may receive.
    All casts are sized at .358 in a highly polished Lee die.
    They are then recoated and sorted into boxes of 4000 when baked.
    Just before loading I will resize from these boxes either to .356 for the 1911 my wife shoots, or .358 for my Beretta, redoing it at .358 just "smooths out the second coating" rather than does any sizing at all.
    99% of my casts are only coated twice, and are all cast out of 94/2/4 lead/tin/antim. mix @ 13/14BHN
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post
    I always size after first bake, irrespective of how many future coats it may receive.
    All casts are sized at .358 in a highly polished Lee die.
    They are then recoated and sorted into boxes of 4000 when baked.
    Just before loading I will resize from these boxes either to .356 for the 1911 my wife shoots, or .358 for my Beretta, redoing it at .358 just "smooths out the second coating" rather than does any sizing at all.
    99% of my casts are only coated twice, and are all cast out of 94/2/4 lead/tin/antim. mix @ 13/14BHN
    Thanks Guys sounds like the die needs polishing then, next question, how do I polish it?

Mozz

Boolit Master
    youtube has a few vids of how to do it.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    youtube has a few vids of how to do it.
    Thanks Trevor, I have had a quick look and will update you guys.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Mozz View Post
    Thanks Guys sounds like the die needs polishing then, next question, how do I polish it?

Mozz

Attachment 169200 What I use. These from Amazon ebay or local hardware. A Dremel tool. A good metal polishing compound.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Buddy
    Well my HiTek and black powder experiment seemed to work. Obviously I had to lube them as well to keep fouling soft but no sign of any lead which I usually get with just lube.
    Only fired 50 for the weekend and didn't really do any accuracy testing apart from one group at 100m, 4 shots into around 2" with the first shot from a clean barrel printing about 3" higher. Really should have fired a couple of foulers first to get a better representation but happy enough with the results.

Is there a merit badge for reading thru this entire thread, I suspended on page 61, there are 7201 posts in this thing, how do you search inside to find key things like are there any issues with Zombie Green or at high velocities or should you be using one of the metallic

PHantom,

I started 2 yrs ago with this stuff and did read what then constituted teh whole thing...one reason it is so large is likely that folks like yourself are overwhelmed with it so many of the same questions get rehashed over to avoid trying to sift thru the morass of data contained herein.

No website can have all the bells and whistles, but I think I read not long ago that there isn't a useable search feature within a particular thread... if that helps...best to communicate with the re-sellers here in our country or post your question here for our fearless leaders who make and test this great product!

Thanks for the tech dump on threads. Guess the best way to get specific answers is to start a new small thread and let the info flow.

I'm a newbie so best to possibly PM Ausglock, Hi-Tec or one of the founders/testing of this great product.

Page 360 of 742 FirstFirst ... 260310350351352353354355356357358359360361362363364365366367368369370410460 ... LastLast