Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Grand Master
    And 100 ml will weigh 79g, roughly. That is roughly 1220 gr.

amazing what a conversion table can tell you
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Bub
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	111360

This is Black 1035 baked for 15 minutes at 375 with 1cc per pound and failing the wipe test. I don't really see a difference in the coating from when I baked at a higher temperature. Someone asked if i was using good acetone, and it is a new bottle I purchased from Home Depot.

The coating isn't slick like the liquid (I couldn't get to work either) it is kind of chaulky feeling, not slick. I'm not sure if that is supposed to be that way, but I'm guessing it isn't.

What is aggravating about all of this is other people are getting this to work so easily and I'm running out of bullets to coat before I have to cast more.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by atygrit View Post

This is Black 1035 baked for 15 minutes at 375 with 1cc per pound and failing the wipe test. I don't really see a difference in the coating from when I baked at a higher temperature. Someone asked if i was using good acetone, and it is a new bottle I purchased from Home Depot.

The coating isn't slick like the liquid (I couldn't get to work either) it is kind of chaulky feeling, not slick. I'm not sure if that is supposed to be that way, but I'm guessing it isn't.

What is aggravating about all of this is other people are getting this to work so easily and I'm running out of bullets to coat before I have to cast more.
    Atygrit
    My initial suggestion is, take some from previous batch, turn up your oven to 390F, and when oven is at set 390F, cook these for another 10 minutes, and do a comparison.
    There is no difference between powdered version and solvent versions.
    The ingredients are same.
    If it is removable with solvent, you did not "set" or Cure the coating at all.
    Simply wash off first coat with solvent, dry, and recoat.
    If coatings is not bonded or set, it can be simply washed off with solvent.
    You dont need to re-melt.
    Repeat coating , drying and bake, this time at 390F for 10 minutes.

Please don't dispare!!, I coated literally hundereds at the beginning and they ALL failed, fouled the barrel, all kinds of hell. Little by little I modified my methology and within a few days I hit on a system that worked, and has worked ever since.
    It can be frustrating, most of us have BTDT... IT does work, it just takes a little time to train yourself.

Some people like Ausglock can meter out coating by eye and hit the target every time, but he has done this a LOT, and he's a freak as well.. I measure exact when I coat, using syringes, I can't do what Trev does, but my way works for me and I shoot 200-300 every weekend. One day I will make a short video on how I do it, which probably is good for new guys, then you can drift over to the way Trev does it once comfortable with what your doing. The wife now has a brand new S&W 1911 from the performance section, so now I HAVE to be sure everything works or she will be hunting me!!
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master
    Metering by eye....... Yep. that is it.
    Coated and baked 2500 tonight and not a measuring cup in sight. one second dribble and all is good.
    Oven at 200deg C. Timer dial set at 10, 11 or 11.5 or 10.5 or 9.5 (somewhere around 10 minutes anyway) and all good.
    Easy as.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Bub
    Based on the feedback from my earlier posts went ahead and bought a thermometer and found out that at the temp setting I was using was actually about 100F over temp. I tried setting it lower but the temp would not stabilize . (temp swings of over +-140F). So until my new toaster oven comes in, my coating is on hold. Decided to go with the Oster Convection oven. Model TSTTVMNDG.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    Atygrit
    My initial suggestion is, take some from previous batch, turn up your oven to 390F, and when oven is at set 390F, cook these for another 10 minutes, and do a comparison.
    There is no difference between powdered version and solvent versions.
    The ingredients are same.
    If it is removable with solvent, you did not "set" or Cure the coating at all.
    Simply wash off first coat with solvent, dry, and recoat.
    If coatings is not bonded or set, it can be simply washed off with solvent.
    You dont need to re-melt.
    Repeat coating , drying and bake, this time at 390F for 10 minutes.

All of the coating doesn't come off when I do the wipe test, just some of it. So I don't think I could "wash" them and have clean bullets to recoat.

Boolit Master

Maybe you could still bake them a bit longer?

Love Life even shot some that didn't fully pass the tests and they worked for him,

MAYBE he'll chime in about this.

Don't give up yet?

Boolit Grand Master
    Take a few from the batches that show color when tested. Re cook these at higher temps for 10 minutes or 11 minutes. Experiment until you find what it takes for your set up to give a pass on the wipe test.

Test small batches, maybe 10 bullets or so. You already have them coated, just re cook and experiment.

I bake at a full 400 F, which is actually 425 on the oven dial, for 10 to 12 minutes depending on bullet weight. Heavier bullet bake longer. I use an oven thermometer to guage temp, the dial was way off.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Metering by eye....... Yep. that is it.
    Coated and baked 2500 tonight and not a measuring cup in sight. one second dribble and all is good.
    Oven at 200deg C. Timer dial set at 10, 11 or 11.5 or 10.5 or 9.5 (somewhere around 10 minutes anyway) and all good.
    Easy as.
    You crack me up with your scientific measurements!
    Gatewaybullets.com

Boolit Grand Master
    I use spoons when I mix, just a squirt when applying to bullets. Mark I eyeball works well for me. I add bullets til it looks right, give em a squirt, and tumble.

it isn't rocket science but does require an ability to see what is happening and adjust on the fly.

The commercial guys measure more precisely, I totally get that. They need a very repeatable product. I don't sell mine so I make em good enough for me!

Boolit Grand Master

atygrit, it takes a bit for the oven to get up to temperature so try what I do sometimes. Cook the ones that wipe off and after 10 minutes (or whatever) pull one off the tray and water cool it and try the wipe test. If it passes they are cooked enough, if not try another in a few more minutes to see if this is long enough.
    I know when I was cooking in the winter and temps were down around 50 to 60 degrees I had to run the time for the larger boolits up to 20 minutes. Even a wind on the oven can change how long the boolits have to cook.
    This is when I went to the Walmart DVOM with thermocouple to track the temperatures. Found I had to close off the vents in one oven with a piece of steel so it would get hot enough.
    If you wash them and there is baked on coating left it should not hurt anything. Remember we do apply multiple coats to the same boolits.
    If we can work it out I am willing to guide you by phone thru the process. PM me if this is something you want to do.

Boolit Master
    +1 On the water cool, that is what I did till I got a few batches done and was confident. They say great minds think alike.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    atygrit, it takes a bit for the oven to get up to temperature so try what I do sometimes. Cook the ones that wipe off and after 10 minutes (or whatever) pull one off the tray and water cool it and try the wipe test. If it passes they are cooked enough, if not try another in a few more minutes to see if this is long enough.
    I know when I was cooking in the winter and temps were down around 50 to 60 degrees I had to run the time for the larger boolits up to 20 minutes. Even a wind on the oven can change how long the boolits have to cook.
    This is when I went to the Walmart DVOM with thermocouple to track the temperatures. Found I had to close off the vents in one oven with a piece of steel so it would get hot enough.
    If you wash them and there is baked on coating left it should not hurt anything. Remember we do apply multiple coats to the same boolits.
    If we can work it out I am willing to guide you by phone thru the process. PM me if this is something you want to do.
    Thank you very much for the offer.

What I'm doing is what i should have done a long time ago, which is bake for 10 minutes, then 11, 12, etc. all the while doing the wipe tests. Last night I started over and was able to see a difference between 10 and 11 minutes bake time. They both failed, but I saw an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Rompin Ruger View Post
    I shared some pics of my first attempt at cooking up some gold large caliber (.45 colt 270 gr boolits) the other week. I finally got out to shoot them.

I had DougGuy here hone out my cylinders on my 45 colt Ruger NMBH's (blue and a SS longer (7.5") bbl hunter.

here are my targets at 25 yards for the SS 7.5" with a sandbag and low power aiming device for my old eyes!

I had a relatively clean barrel. Slight leading nearer the muzzle and that gun, leaded like a printing press in days bygone before Doug's work, so Doug's reaming did it some good, and the coating did it's job!

Boolit is the RCBS 45-270-SAA modified keith, pushed by 19, 19.5, 20.0 & 20.5 for the below targets. That NMBH thumps my middle finger big knuckle and after I'd shot two test runs of 5, it was SORE and my groups really opened up on the far top right target...

I quit and shot .38 and .357's for a while... some 45acp out of the convertable 45's other cylinder and then shot the hottest of the group, the 20.5 and they were right back on line... so 20.0 was shooter error from being pounded!

I loaded up another 68 of them to do some off-hand hunting practice for an upcoming hog hunt.

Attachment 111248

My attempts--

Attachment 111249

2nd bake at top and 1st bake/coat on lower tray!

I think I'm going to love this stuff!
    Overcocked gold looks more like Copper! I like it...

Boolit Master
    Thank you very much for the offer.

What I'm doing is what i should have done a long time ago, which is bake for 10 minutes, then 11, 12, etc. all the while doing the wipe tests. Last night I started over and was able to see a difference between 10 and 11 minutes bake time. They both failed, but I saw an improvement.
    Just to clarify... you are letting your oven pre-heat to 200deg C and start cycling on the thermostat before placing the tray of bullets into the now hot oven???
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Bub

Name:	my setup.jpg 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	111575Click image for larger version. 

Name:	400 - 10 min.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	111576Click image for larger version. 

Name:	400 - 11 min.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	111577Click image for larger version. 

Name:	400 - 12 min.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	111578Click image for larger version. 

Name:	400 - 13 min.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	111579Click image for larger version. 

Name:	400 - 14 min.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	111580

Here is my setup showing 400 degrees and 5 pictures of the wipe test from 10 minutes to 14 minutes. I did this over two nights, so the 10 and 11 minute tests dried for 6 hours and the 12, 13, and 14 minute tests were able to dry 24 hours. I don't see a lot of difference between the 5 wipe tests. I will say the bullets still had plenty of color left on them, it isn't like I was able to wipe off all of the coating to bare lead.

Also, the coating is not very slick feeling, more like a matte or flat paint texture. This is the powdered black 1035, is it suppose to be like that?

Can someone post good pictures of what the black 1035 is supposed to look like.

Thanks,

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Just to clarify... you are letting your oven pre-heat to 200deg C and start cycling on the thermostat before placing the tray of bullets into the now hot oven???
    Yes, I let the oven preheat to 400deg F.

Name:	my setup.jpg 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	111575Click image for larger version. 

Name:	400 - 10 min.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	111576Click image for larger version. 

Name:	400 - 11 min.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	111577Click image for larger version. 

Name:	400 - 12 min.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	111578Click image for larger version. 

Name:	400 - 13 min.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	111579Click image for larger version. 

Name:	400 - 14 min.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	111580

Here is my setup showing 400 degrees and 5 pictures of the wipe test from 10 minutes to 14 minutes. I did this over two nights, so the 10 and 11 minute tests dried for 6 hours and the 12, 13, and 14 minute tests were able to dry 24 hours. I don't see a lot of difference between the 5 wipe tests. I will say the bullets still had plenty of color left on them, it isn't like I was able to wipe off all of the coating to bare lead.

Also, the coating is not very slick feeling, more like a matte or flat paint texture. This is the powdered black 1035, is it suppose to be like that?

Can someone post good pictures of what the black 1035 is supposed to look like.

Thanks,
    Have same problem also with black powder and i increase temp to 450 F, assuming that my termostat dont show corect temp and it worked, i pass the wipe test

ADMIN

I do the 1035 black and cook at 375. But its a convection oven.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Page 183 of 742 FirstFirst ... 83133173174175176177178179180181182183184185186187188189190191192193233283683 ... LastLast