Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rcslotcar View Post
    i'm using coww's with a very little tin, brindle hardness around 19-20. Powder I've been using for Sierra 168gr bt hp is 68 gr of Hodgen 4831sc. This has been my max load from my Remington 700 which is very accurate. I was thinking to load down to about 60-63 gr for cast coated bullets maybe around 2600fps. Again I haven't shot any cast 7mm yet, just trying to get knowledge before I put components together. I haven shot any cast bullets thru my rifles (223-270-308-338win).
    rcslotcar
    coww's can present problems. Hardness for the speeds you are shooting may be also a problem. I am not sure, but some already shot hard alloys but I think they may have been harder than yours. May be others can advise on these matters.

Also, some wheel weights have impurities, that can cause adhesion problems with coating.
    I don't know if you have been following this thread long, but another guy has all sorts of coating problems using mystery alloys.
    He solved coating problems by casting, then soaking casts in Hydrochloric acid/water mix, to remove reactive surface metals. The coating then bonds extremely well after washing with water and drying first.
    It is not the coating that fails, it is the alloy that may fail if not correct things are done first. Keep in mind, the coatings are a way of separating bore and alloy.
    Coating cannot fix engineering problems. It cannot be compared to Jacketed ammo requirements.

Boolit Buddy
    I did read for several hours and remember the pictures. I have several 22 pound ingots of lyman #2 do you think this would work out better? Thanks guys for the replies. I also have tin to add if necessary.
    Last edited by rcslotcar; 10-03-2018 at 02:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    My converted Wall oven is set at 200Deg C. The bullets (after 71/2 minutes) are 204 Deg C as shot by an IR Therm.
    The oven has a heating element around the internal fan and the over head element working. 2 trays. one on the bottom shelf and another on the middle shelf. If I use the top shelf, I get darkened bullets.
    on this specific topic,i must add that i don't use the the oven top element.only the one on the bottom. yours being larger and of higher quality,having dual fans working is probably helping at not getting a direct heat on the boolits,even if the elements aren't covered . on my black'n 'decker , there's only one fan,and if i use the top element, i'm getting burnt color...now,i could cover the top element with some foil or else, but i can fit only one tray in anyways.....those little ovens......you can't really bake more than 16 to 20 pounds of boolits at once,because it would be overloaded .

Does anyone have Photos of how large Pullet company do there coating

Boolit Mold
    This is the best video so far of a commercial company doing coating. So good trick and hints in the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceball View Post
    This is the best video so far of a commercial company doing coating. So good trick and hints in the video.
    thanks heaps

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceball View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ..... Best??? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
    Yeah.... right....
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ..... Best??? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
    Yeah.... right....
    trevor...these guys are cutting their own moulds.....seems likke they get a -+ 2 grains differential in their boolit production......the tall guy is the machinist, and he cuts the molds.....i heard about'em couple months ago. i even think about contacting them to see if i could get some of their magic molds. will see because you know what .....otherwise,their hi tek process is pretty much what we're all doin ,nothing special there.......but their moulds.....wheeew.they nailed this part of the whole process of boolit making.

Boolit Master
    The mold maker is Mike Sand. His old man is (was) Ballisti-cast.
    Mike Was 1/2 of Hardline molds. I have a few of his molds and they are top notch.
    Hardline fell apart due to internal friction between the partners (from what I gather)
    The dude doing the coating is mixing the powder (and spilling more than he uses) and appears to use it to coat instantly after mixing the powder with the acetone. A huge NO NO!!!!!!!
    The only thing I like in the video is his oven.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Mike Was 1/2 of Hardline molds. I have a few of his molds and they are top notch.
    Hardline fell apart due to internal friction between the partners (from what I gather)
    The dude doing the coating is mixing the powder (and spilling more than he uses) and appears to use it to coat instantly after mixing the powder with the acetone. A huge NO NO!!!!!!!
    ok then.......it explains the fact they're using ballisticast machinery lol.

i tried to find their company,but the name is now for sale....seems like their start up fell apart.

i'm slowly learning that the key for good boolits is the molds.having a machinist well focused on cutting the best possible molds is a huge +.

Boolit Buddy
    I tried to go to their website and it is for sale. Apparently out of business.

Boolit Master
    I'm happy with my magma moulds. I don't do loads of casting, but they work great when i dust them off for use

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wlkjr View Post
    I tried to go to their website and it is for sale. Apparently out of business.

I may be wrong, but I think Mike Sand may be at Prairie Firearms.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    I don't know if you have been following this thread long, but another guy has all sorts of coating problems using mystery alloys.
    He solved coating problems by casting, then soaking casts in Hydrochloric acid/water mix, to remove reactive surface metals. The coating then bonds extremely well after washing with water and drying first.
    It is not the coating that fails, it is the alloy that may fail if not correct things are done first.
    That "Another Guy" would be me.

HCL works great with my alloy,it cleans impurities from the bullet surface. Soaking is not a big job at all. I have a ton of alloy from the past and now I can use it.

Attachment 228272

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    That "Another Guy" would be me.

Attachment 228272

maaan....the 45-70 must be eating a lot of your lead . i'm guessing 350 grain boolits rip off one pound of lead in 4-5 pours....

ui'm still trying to figure out a lead catcher without having to mine berms ,so i can get my lead back to me LOL.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by glockfan View Post
    maaan....the 45-70 must be eating a lot of your lead . i'm guessing 350 grain boolits rip off one pound of lead in 4-5 pours....

ui'm still trying to figure out a lead catcher without having to mine berms ,so i can get my lead back to me LOL.
    You need to build a bullet trap that uses an empty Oxy bottle and some steel plate. I have an empty beer gas bottle to make one when I get around to it.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    For bullet traps I use plastic 5 gal buckets with ground up rubber placed on as stand and shoot into the lid of the bucket. I catch 30 lbs to 40 lbs of bullets before the buckets need to be repaired and the lid replaced.

After cleaning out the traps I find the Hi-Tek coated bullets still have the coating intact if they didn't hit another bullet.

is there a trick to fill up the lube groves with hi teck coating

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pkchwy View Post
    is there a trick to fill up the lube groves with hi teck coating
    If you have full coverage in the groove, you are using too much coating.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by glockfan View Post

I'm still mining,too. Except a pistol range where we have catchers.

And those are 480 grain 458 Socom rounds in the pic...

Page 535 of 742 FirstFirst ... 35435485525526527528529530531532533534535536537538539540541542543544545585635 ... LastLast