MidSouth Shooters SupplyGraf & SonsRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
StainLess Steel MediaADvertise hereLee PrecisionTitan Reloading

Page 492 of 492 FirstFirst ... 392442482483484485486487488489490491492
Results 9,821 to 9,837 of 9837

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

I'm baking them right at 400 for 8 mins and all wipe and smash tests have gone well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    Great,you have a good oven.

I got tests ok now as well, a batch just came out.Hard to talk about temp,it depends where I measure. On the bricks I have a digi probe,it says 210 C , the bullets measure (ir) 200-210C when I turn the tray at six minutes. 12 minutes total.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180421_015548_633.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	218794

Name:	IMG_20180421_015649_759.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	218795

No wipeout even with force,no tiniest flaking either. Me happy like a dropbear. First coat is everything.

Kinda hits you square in the head when you do it according to the directions and everything falls into place.
    Congratulations, now your hooked

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    Kinda hits you square in the head when you do it according to the directions and everything falls into place.
    Congratulations, now your hooked
    No more spraying powder coating on boolits for me!

Quote Originally Posted by perminator View Post
    Nicely done. What color is this green?

Quote Originally Posted by razorfish View Post
    Nicely done. What color is this green?
    Kryptonite green

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    A local guy coated Air Pellets. They worked great with a single coat. I believe that in Europe there is a large move towards high pressure air guns ...
    Air guns are here. No permits,bureaucracy etc needed. Not yet.

I shoot 300 meters regularly, sometimes Air Guys leave pellets there,just for others to see. They shoot 45 cal air guns at 300 meters with good success.

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Air guns are here. No permits,bureaucracy etc needed. Not yet.

I shoot 300 meters regularly, sometimes Air Guys leave pellets there,just for others to see. They shoot 45 cal air guns at 300 meters with good success.
    Can you post a picture of the pellets used with these air guns? What sort of alloy is used?
    I cant imagine just how much pressure is needed to shoot 300 metres with air.
    I wonder how these pellets would go with the coating?
    I was advised, that this high pressure air guns are now becoming very popular in an ever increasing US groups.

Here, our government has outlawed air guns if you have no licence. Getting a licence is very problematic due to the anti gun lobby .

Perminator,looking good.

My first boolits were indeed undercooked. And I went to the other end too,flaking when smashed.

I decided to see how overcooked shoot.

I fired a box of overcooked, slightly flaking water dropped boolits at 50 meters,very good accuracy but also some leading as expected. Easy to wipe though.

Attachment 218792

So I'm still working on time/temp. A thin line between wiping and flaking it seems.
    I suspect, that your first coat was not dried adequately.
    Once coating and alloy gets to about 180C it starts to cross link and bond. However, traces of moisture will affect bonding, and that is why normally it flakes when doing smash test.
    Over baking will not harm coating and bonding. Only the colour suffers.
    Attached is over cooked coating. They work just fine.
    Over Cooked coating.pdf

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    I suspect, that your first coat was not dried adequately.

Could be. It also took me a while to really get the wipe test,I let some questionable boolits pass without eyeglasses. And the smash test... I use a magnifying glass.

Is there such a thing as Too Hot Drying Temp? My boolits get to 60C on top of the oven in half an hour if I let them to. Another variable is my boolit temp when coating.

But I'm getting good first coats now. Still figuring out my routines.
    Last edited by Petander; Yesterday at 05:28 AM. Reason: Bad craziness

Could be. It also took me a while to really get the wipe test,I let some questionable boolits pass without eyeglasses.

Is there such a thing as Too Hot Drying Temp?
    In cold damp areas, I suggest that first coat is dried at about 40-50C for about 1/2 hour. To check if the first coat is totally dry, simply bake a few first. Cool and do tests. If all is OK, bake the rest.

My boolits get to 60C on top of the oven in half an hour if I let them to.

Another variable is my boolit temp when coating. Coating mix will chill alloy and temperatures can drop 5 degrees C.
    I always suggest, that alloy is at least 5-10 degrees warmer than room temperatures, so any chilling by drying solvent leaves alloy at higher temperatures that ambient temperatures. That way, this residual warmth helps dry coating much quicker and moisture is not attracted to the alloy because alloy is warmer then room temperatures

But I'm getting good first coats now. Still figuring out all the routines.
    If your alloy on top of oven gets to 60C for short time, should not be a problem.
    Main thing to keep in mind, first coat must be bonded well. If not, once exposed to heat, it is a re-melt job. Trying to again re-coat will not fix first coat adhesion problems.

Boolit Man
    A 50/50 -diluted first coat,half strength. Still one ml/pound.

I like the way this coats,thin and even. Easy to apply.

Name:	IMG_20180421_133655_162.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	119.2 KB 
ID:	218820

I'm not re-inventing the instructions though.

EDIT: Second coat normal,bake temp crazy long 20 min because I water dropped.

Very good wipe and bonding,can't scratch or anything.

Name:	IMG_20180421_143652_419.jpg 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	218825

Name:	IMG_20180421_144848_584.jpg 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	218826

I have a mountain of old bullets and Hi-tek does stick perfectly on these.

Now load and shoot some that I quenched last night. Reads 18 BHN now.

Name:	IMG_20180421_154336_353.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	218827
    Last edited by Petander; Yesterday at 08:48 AM.

Boolit Bub
    I also agree that 'overcooking' does not cause flaking. I made the mistake of not drying enough sometimes and it does indeed cause flaking.. worse on first coat than on second? I think that is the case. seems if I get a good first coat the rest is just for looks... three coats won't help a bad first coat in my opinion...

I am baking a tad longer than directed cause my oven is small and I open it a lot for batches... I have been going 12 minutes? something past ten on the timer but not 15... seems to work fine. My bullets will rarely be the exact same color if I do 4 or five batches... that does not bother me in the least. Mixing krptonite and copper and black makes for a nice root beer brown that is more consistent in color... maybe cause it is darker?

lazs

Boolit Man
    I have read this whole thread so I should know "overcooking" does not do harm.

My bad,by "overcooking" I meant too high a temperature,not a longer time. Maybe it was drying then,strange because it gets warm on top of the oven and they stay there 45 minutes or so.

I'm getting proper boolits now and they shoot ok.

Name:	IMG_20180421_221625_056.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	218889

Name:	IMG_20180421_221707_421.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	218860

Unfortunately leading seems pretty serious, I will get a 38 S&W expander plug any day now... but still, the same boolit/load with wax lube leads just a little in the first inch or so. Leading with this coating reminds me of the days when I managed to purchase Outers Foul Out. Shame that it got discontinued,can't get the liquids anymore.

Name:	IMG_20180421_232320_163.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	218863

This 9mm 166 grain load that I'm working on is only 850 fps. I have baked about 20 batches in four days now, tested and shot them all. I also tried harder and softer,smaller and larger boolits. And a lighter 135 RN. I'll take the weekend off now.

My plan is to use this load in a B&T carbine if the coating works out. But I'm getting familiar with this coating using a more cleaner-friendly platform,a pistol. It's so nice to have everything clean and tidy,just the barrel inside is giving me a hard time. Flaking boolits didn't lead this bad,I have cleaned lead out a dozen times in few days now while testing.

But not this much. Hmm...
    Last edited by Petander; Yesterday at 06:21 PM. Reason: Puzzled

Boolit Master
    A lot of 9mm users here like their bullets sized to .3575" dia.
    They say that .356 leads, but .3575 does not.
    I use .3565" dia in the STI Tac 5 and the barrel is super shiny after 1 patch of hoppes.
    Others have stated that the powder used in the load also has caused leading.
    I mainly use ADI powder (Aussie made) it is re-labled as Hodgdon powder in the US.
    Never had problems with Win 231, WSF, WST or Win540.
    Alliant Power pistol also works fine for me.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

With the 9MM you do not want to over crimp due to the tapered case. I seat and crimp in one die, and I crimp just hard enough so the boolit doesn't move in the case when pushed against my relloading bench. Since my factory crimp die was already in my progressive , I raised the ram and screw the FCD in to where it just touched the catridge then I gave it 1/64th turn more. I no longer get leading.

Boolit Master
    Pull a few bullets and measure them to be sure the crimp isn’t swaging them undersized. FWIW, I shoot 9mm, sized to .357” mostly in KKM and stock Glock barrels. Bullets are 95, 115, 120, 124 and 125, two coats of Hi-Tek, with some pushed to 1600 FPS and no leading in barrel but I do get lead deposit build up in my comps though.

Page 492 of 492 FirstFirst ... 392442482483484485486487488489490491492