Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    Tazza, I used to believe in registration but quickly learned it was the first step to confiscation, as we all found out. I could live with a life time licence till one showed they were unfit. Registration has never stopped, cured or prevented a crime, the law abiding will always do the right thing but criminals will not. I wonder how many licence holders realise they are on Police crim track because they are licenced. Maybe some day you will have to have a go at my 458 win mag it will help you appreciate your Beeman haha. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cohen View Post
    Tazza, I used to believe in registration but quickly learned it was the first step to confiscation, as we all found out. I could live with a life time licence till one showed they were unfit. Registration has never stopped, cured or prevented a crime, the law abiding will always do the right thing but criminals will not. I wonder how many licence holders realise they are on Police crim track because they are licenced. Maybe some day you will have to have a go at my 458 win mag it will help you appreciate your Beeman haha. Regards Stephen
    That is a good point, and they do use that against us already. I have been told that if a cop runs your license or rego, it shows "possible firearms on board" not sure if that's a good or bad thing, as i hope they don't do a RBT with guns drawn on me!

I bet that big boy hurts, a mad mate has a 300WM, that hurts enough after a few shots, but holy cow, it hits hard. We did a testing day for 3 gun a few months back, 6" plate at 200m got the snot beat out of it with the 300wm, never thought it had that much energy, but it flung that plate like it was nothing.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=HI-TEK;4835972]
    Quote Originally Posted by RydForLyf View Post
    Now I understand!!! When you chaps down under hear us yanks say teaspoon, you think of those oblong things in your kitchen drawer that you actually use to stir your tea. Nothing could be further from the truth.

You are correct, it is simply a difference with description of an item.
    Here, these spoons you show, are called "Measuring Spoons" not teaspoons. That is where confusion had occurred.
    I my reference to a commercial caster using such measure he actually used (30mls) such a measuring spoon, (looks like a small egg cup with a handle) which was attached to a piece of wooden dowel. Worked quite well.
    The "Measuring Spoon" set I bought has a 1 1/2 teaspoon measure which is 7 ml and I use it with 5 1/2 lbs of bullets in a 5 qt bucket, repeatable and always good results. I also use dish soap bottles with a snap on lid with a spout to mix and store the Hi-Tek, the bottles are air tight so the mix is good for months.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    That is a good point, and they do use that against us already. I have been told that if a cop runs your license or rego, it shows "possible firearms on board" not sure if that's a good or bad thing, as i hope they don't do a RBT with guns drawn on me!

I bet that big boy hurts, a mad mate has a 300WM, that hurts enough after a few shots, but holy cow, it hits hard. We did a testing day for 3 gun a few months back, 6" plate at 200m got the snot beat out of it with the 300wm, never thought it had that much energy, but it flung that plate like it was nothing.
    The last time I shot my 300 WM I did not enjoy it, I guess that comes with getting older any way I traded it in on a Walther PPQ SF a lot more fun to shoot and I can use Hi-Tek with it.

We are supposed to measure this stuff. I've been just scooping some out with my fingers and dumping a little acetone in with it. .

You guys on the metric system instead of the King's measurements have always been a bit snobbish. And I am talking about you Trevor. You and your tea with the little finger lifted when drinking. We prefer coffee with a full grip on the mug
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    So true, some posts i see and think yep, good advise, but no way to state that other than a quote with a reply.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    We are supposed to measure this stuff. I've been just scooping some out with my fingers and dumping a little acetone in with it. .

You guys on the metric system instead of the King's measurements have always been a bit snobbish. And I am talking about you Trevor. You and your tea with the little finger lifted when drinking. We prefer coffee with a full grip on the mug
    Oh... you mean like this Coffee Mug....
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

There is another possible misunderstanding, A mug is an Australian way of saying some one is a fool. I guess if you drink coffee while holding a fool that's ok as we Australians normally knock a mug down them buy him a beer. Its all cultural I guess. Regards Stephen

Boolit Buddy
    Slide’s bullets arrived in the mail yesterday and I can say the color is identical to what I’m getting. Here are some pictures.

They look very dark on the above picture, so I put them on a blue shop towel. The camera adjusted the blue out and now they look greener than they really are. However, my 2-coat bullets are the same shade as Slide's bullets. I'm guessing that his are 3-coat bullets because the color is darker.

In order to add some clarity, I decided to use the universal color standard of Crayola crayons. The cooked bullets are closest to Pine Green in my box of 120 crayons.

The uncooked 2nd coat matches best to Turquoise Blue.

So, I am willing to continuing my experiments if anyone has any tips or tricks that have worked for you. Otherwise, I’ll just continue coating and loading them as they are.

I’m sure Joe will continue his R&D efforts and maybe one day he’ll find a base polymer that stays crystal clear and we will have every color in the rainbow available to use.

By the way, Candy Apple Red makes awecome FSU Garnet and Gold bullets.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D2084355-14ED-4923-A715-C06979B9C5D9.jpg  
    Last edited by RydForLyf; 03-03-2020 at 08:41 PM.

Boolit Master
    RydForLyf, mine are two coats. That is the nature of the beast with the blue. Your c.a.r. looks good!
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by slide View Post
    RydForLyf, mine are two coats.
    Cool. Maybe it's my measuring spoons. Ha Ha Ha HA

Boolit Master
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Oh... you mean like this Coffee Mug....

OK brother.
    Just wanted to see if you could drink the vinegar as well as dish it out.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cohen View Post
    There is another possible misunderstanding, A mug is an Australian way of saying some one is a fool. I guess if you drink coffee while holding a fool that's ok as we Australians normally knock a mug down them buy him a beer. Its all cultural I guess. Regards Stephen
    Colloquial wording and speech from country to country, and here in the US state to state, often interferes with understanding what the other person is saying. In some countries they use first what would be the last word here first. Instead of my name being John Smith it would be Smith John. And local terms and pronunciations get some of us in trouble.

Reminds me of a story. When in school I managed a Baskin Robbins ice cream store. We were right across the street from the local free student theater. On Friday and Saturday nights when the show was over we had so many customers we had trouble keeping up. I was working the counter one of those nights and had an obviously oriental woman walk up to the counter. Because of he ethnicity I was worried that I might not be able to communicate with her. So I started of in a very slow distinct manner to asked her what she would have. She looked at me with a bit of anger on her face and told me, in no uncertain terms, she was American and from California and had no trouble understanding English. Needless to say my face was about the color of our raspberry ice.

We also drink our Jim Beam and Southern Comfort gripping the mug-handle with all the fingers same as coffee otherwise we get confused. ....They do. I don't drink

I quit consuming alcohol as a beverage about fourty years ago. Got sick drinking Southern and Sevenup once so could never quite stomach it again. But I liked my Jack Daniels Black neat.

I’m going to get back on topic. Going by the store today to pick up fresh acetone. Going to give Tru Blue another try. But even if I can’t get it to stay blue it’s still Hi Tek. I’ve shot a little over 200 rounds coated with the Bronze 500 in the Ruger 357 over the past couple of weeks. After a light cleaning barrel looks polished. All of the colors will do what they were invented by Joe to do. Keep the lead out. And that is why I use it anyway. Right?

RydforLyf, you've got a box of crayons?

Regarding Candy Apple Red, initially I was disappointed because my expectations were for a brighter red, but once I loaded some (in nice shiny cases) it started growing on me. Now I think the boolits look cool.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    RydforLyf, you've got a box of crayons?

Regarding Candy Apple Red, initially I was disappointed because my expectations were for a brighter red, but once I loaded some (in nice shiny cases) it started growing on me. Now I think the boolits look cool.
    Agreed! Too bad we just go blow them up after working so hard to get them looking so nice.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RydForLyf View Post
    Agreed! Too bad we just go blow them up after working so hard to get them looking so nice.
    But we have fun making them go SPLAT when hitting a steel plate.

On the occasions you actually hit something Tazza... just sayin..
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Page 657 of 742 FirstFirst ... 157557607647648649650651652653654655656657658659660661662663664665666667707 ... LastLast