Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationGraf & Sons
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2StainLess Steel MediaMidSouth Shooters Supply

Page 513 of 531 FirstFirst ... 13413463503504505506507508509510511512513514515516517518519520521522523 ... LastLast
Results 10,241 to 10,260 of 10615

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

I think there is some Irony in the fact I am spending all day on the lathe turning parts for the next AS/2 batch/group buy, so YOU mob can size your casts. But in doing so you are taking all MY casting and coating time up.....

The way this universe works is really weird some times.

BTW Joe that experimental invisible coating you sent me works fine! after the second coat/sizing .. I cant find the **** things!!
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

Boolit Master
    This is why you need to teach your wife how to use the lathe and make the pins for you while you get to cast and coat

My wife was happy to spend any money i got from selling my casts, yet she refused to do any hand sizing for me, go figure.....

Better keep that invisible coating away, i loose enough things without loosing more of my mind.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post
    I think there is some Irony in the fact I am spending all day on the lathe turning parts for the next AS/2 batch/group buy, so YOU mob can size your casts. But in doing so you are taking all MY casting and coating time up.....

The way this universe works is really weird some times.

BTW Joe that experimental invisible coating you sent me works fine! after the second coat/sizing .. I cant find the **** things!!

Grem, NOW YOU HAVE DONE IT.
    MY UFO Friends will be most upset. This was supposed to be a highly secret project.
    Now I will have Ausglock pester me why I did not supply him first.
    Come to think of it, I cant find the container I made this stuff in any way. So much for UFO technology......

You need to dig out the X-Ray glasses you bought out of your childhood comic book.
    Last edited by Grmps; 07-10-2018 at 11:19 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    You need to dig out the X-Ray you bought out of your childhood comic book.
    Grmps, I have beaten the system. I located my invisible coated alloy. I simply used the Lead Magnet I had, that stuck to the alloy when I was scanning.

Boolit Master
    I don't know what you guys are drinking but wish I had some. On a more sober note, I met an old gent last week I had not seen in 3 years, he asked if I still cast and coated my own projectiles and of cause he managed to get a couple hundred out of me to try, well he turned up today and asked if I could cast him and his son 500 as they have never found more accurate projectiles for their .357 revolvers. I also gave a good friend some to try some 6 months ago and he was reluctant to take or try them, he also rang and asked if I could now coat all his bullets with the magic juice. I need to learn to keep my big mouth shut as there was a time when I could win a match or two. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cohen View Post
    I don't know what you guys are drinking but wish I had some. On a more sober note, I met an old gent last week I had not seen in 3 years, he asked if I still cast and coated my own projectiles and of cause he managed to get a couple hundred out of me to try, well he turned up today and asked if I could cast him and his son 500 as they have never found more accurate projectiles for their .357 revolvers. I also gave a good friend some to try some 6 months ago and he was reluctant to take or try them, he also rang and asked if I could now coat all his bullets with the magic juice. I need to learn to keep my big mouth shut as there was a time when I could win a match or two. Regards Stephen

Hi Stephen,
    Mine is, when I can get it, is good old Kentucky extract.

Back to reality, thank you for your post.
    You obviously had produced a great product for people coming back for more.
    I have found over the years, that guys who gave out samples to mates, a lot ended up with a small businesses casting and coating. Then they became overwhelmed with people wanting product as word spread.
    Some, simply went one step further, and began commercially producing whilst working in a full time job.
    A few more simply went the whole hog, and decided to working full time for themselves, casting and coating. It gave them satisfaction, and small bonus is, it paid bills.
    It is a very addictive pleasure when success is achieved.
    Joe

Boolit Man
    Sorry for talking about hitek but...

Ive adjusted my cooking weight and time and used a more diluted mix and my colours are looking much better.

Based on ausglocks advice Ive reduced temp to 190 from 200, increased time to 11 minutes and now using 120mls / 20 grams. It feels like i can swirl longer now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SmartSelect_20180710-212227_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	223472

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dansedgli View Post
    Sorry for talking about hitek but...

Ive adjusted my cooking weight and time and used a more diluted mix and my colours are looking much better.

Based on ausglocks advice Ive reduced temp to 190 from 200, increased time to 11 minutes and now using 120mls / 20 grams. It feels like i can swirl longer now.

Name:	SmartSelect_20180710-212227_Gallery.jpg 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	223472

They look great. Have you smash tested them?
    With swirling/coating, I have to say, that with first coat, you add just barely enough coating mixture to cast, it should be just enough volume to barely coat. Only shake coat for 10-15 seconds. Rough finishes, mostly caused by too much or too long tumble coating. As solvent dries off, the residue becomes sticky. This causes small lumps to form. Then drying and baking, simply sets this coating as is, lumps and all. It ends up rough looking. Using more diluted mix helps, as you apply same volume of a dilute mixture, and ends up using less coating as well. This reduces the sticky lumps from forming.

Boolit Master

dansedgli sent you a pm

Boolit Man
    Yep, they pass the smash test.

My brown hot spots have pretty much disappeared which I'm happy about. That picture looks a bit brighter than in real life but I am pretty happy with it now.

Is there a 3rd green colour? A mate was shooting a green colour darker than mine tonight, he got the boolits from another guy who has started making his own. They looked pretty good.

Boolit Master

Greens

Yep, they pass the smash test.

My brown hot spots have pretty much disappeared which I'm happy about. That picture looks a bit brighter than in real life but I am pretty happy with it now.

Is there a 3rd green colour? A mate was shooting a green colour darker than mine tonight, he got the boolits from another guy who has started making his own. They looked pretty good.
    Yes there is a Dark Green Metallic.
    It is a very popular colour as well. Attached is a pictureClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Dark Green V-2 Metallic  210617.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	223473

Boolit Man
    That's the one. Might try that next when I get bored of ZG.

Boolit Man
    Tried coating some copper jacket projectiles today.

I threw them in last minute so ended up doing 2 coats on those and 3 on the lead.

Worked out pretty good.

Name:	Screenshot_20180712-234844_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	223587

Boolit Man
    Again with a close up.

Name:	SmartSelect_20180713-002512_Gallery.jpg 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	223589

I am not sure what benefits this might have apart from being used at clubs or matches that have banned plated projies.

From previous statements on this thread, mainly from Joe, the coating of jacketed has been done to prevent some of the copper fouling in the barrel therefore extending length of time between cleanings and may add some speed due to lubrication using the same load. I understand that some competition guys have used it on rifle bullets to help improve scores and the length of time that a barrel will last. The help being something like molly coated bullets. Guys that shoot a lot of bullets in a year, 1000s, have to replace barrels fairly regular due to erosion. I've always understood that most of this erosion was due to extreme heat at the beginning of the lands. Especially with competition loads in rifles and distances out to 1000 yards where you are pushing the limit on max loading. So I'm not sure about extended barrel life being a particular advantage of Hi Tek, molly or any other coating. Maybe a reduction in the amount of heat due to reduced load producing the same speed? I can see how a lube could give you some more speed out of the same load. I have not personally tested any of this. So all is an assumption based on reading what others have written.

And there is always the purdy colors. I guess it could be done to color code rounds for some reason.

Maybe there is a test brewing here for someone to engage in? We tried the speed test between PC and Hi Tek and didn't find much difference. What about jacketed and jacketed with HI Tek coating max power? Anyone game?
    Last edited by Avenger442; 07-12-2018 at 02:53 PM.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens..

Boolit Master

Again with a close up.

Name:	SmartSelect_20180713-002512_Gallery.jpg 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	223589

I am not sure what benefits this might have apart from being used at clubs or matches that have banned plated prodgies.

dansedgli
    These tests were done many years ago in Aus.
    The aim was to stop Copper fouling of barrels. As you know, Copper residues in Barrel require removal of this contaminant, and cleaners in effect erode away the bore by electrolytic corrosion.
    Main thing of benefit, when using coated Jacketed or Electroplated cast is, no more Copper fouling, clean barrels, no more corrosive cleaners required, possibly resulting in less barrel wear and possible increase in accuracy. I don't know about speed changes, as that test was not done.

The coatings, will not reduce possibility of Copper pieces being a problem with bounce back towards shooter in indoor ranges.

Boolit Master
    I coated some Tigershark Plated 123gn HP and ran them through the TurBor.
    Shot fine with no issues.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    *gasp* using the oppositions projectiles? shame shame

I know a guy that used some tigershark projectiles, they didn't have many good things to say about them, hopefully it was just a bad batch.

Boolit Master
    Yeah. I got a 1000 to test against my 125gn SWC... for open Major in the 38 Supercomp.

The extra $$$ per 1000 was not worth the effort.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Page 513 of 531 FirstFirst ... 13413463503504505506507508509510511512513514515516517518519520521522523 ... LastLast