Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationGraf & Sons
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2StainLess Steel MediaMidSouth Shooters Supply

Page 513 of 531 FirstFirst ... 13413463503504505506507508509510511512513514515516517518519520521522523 ... LastLast
Results 10,241 to 10,260 of 10615

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

  1. #10241
    Boolit Master Gremlin460's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Brisbane Au
    Posts
    797
    I think there is some Irony in the fact I am spending all day on the lathe turning parts for the next AS/2 batch/group buy, so YOU mob can size your casts. But in doing so you are taking all MY casting and coating time up.....

    The way this universe works is really weird some times.

    BTW Joe that experimental invisible coating you sent me works fine! after the second coat/sizing .. I cant find the **** things!!
    Don't worry about life, no-one gets out alive.

  2. #10242
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    984
    This is why you need to teach your wife how to use the lathe and make the pins for you while you get to cast and coat

    My wife was happy to spend any money i got from selling my casts, yet she refused to do any hand sizing for me, go figure.....

    Better keep that invisible coating away, i loose enough things without loosing more of my mind.

  3. #10243
    Boolit Master




    HI-TEK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,517
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin460 View Post
    I think there is some Irony in the fact I am spending all day on the lathe turning parts for the next AS/2 batch/group buy, so YOU mob can size your casts. But in doing so you are taking all MY casting and coating time up.....

    The way this universe works is really weird some times.

    BTW Joe that experimental invisible coating you sent me works fine! after the second coat/sizing .. I cant find the **** things!!

    Grem, NOW YOU HAVE DONE IT.
    MY UFO Friends will be most upset. This was supposed to be a highly secret project.
    Now I will have Ausglock pester me why I did not supply him first.
    Come to think of it, I cant find the container I made this stuff in any way. So much for UFO technology......

  4. #10244
    Boolit Master Grmps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    2,624
    You need to dig out the X-Ray glasses you bought out of your childhood comic book.
    Last edited by Grmps; 07-10-2018 at 11:19 AM.

  5. #10245
    Boolit Master




    HI-TEK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,517
    Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    You need to dig out the X-Ray you bought out of your childhood comic book.
    Grmps, I have beaten the system. I located my invisible coated alloy. I simply used the Lead Magnet I had, that stuck to the alloy when I was scanning.

  6. #10246
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    586
    I don't know what you guys are drinking but wish I had some. On a more sober note, I met an old gent last week I had not seen in 3 years, he asked if I still cast and coated my own projectiles and of cause he managed to get a couple hundred out of me to try, well he turned up today and asked if I could cast him and his son 500 as they have never found more accurate projectiles for their .357 revolvers. I also gave a good friend some to try some 6 months ago and he was reluctant to take or try them, he also rang and asked if I could now coat all his bullets with the magic juice. I need to learn to keep my big mouth shut as there was a time when I could win a match or two. Regards Stephen

  7. #10247
    Boolit Master




    HI-TEK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,517
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cohen View Post
    I don't know what you guys are drinking but wish I had some. On a more sober note, I met an old gent last week I had not seen in 3 years, he asked if I still cast and coated my own projectiles and of cause he managed to get a couple hundred out of me to try, well he turned up today and asked if I could cast him and his son 500 as they have never found more accurate projectiles for their .357 revolvers. I also gave a good friend some to try some 6 months ago and he was reluctant to take or try them, he also rang and asked if I could now coat all his bullets with the magic juice. I need to learn to keep my big mouth shut as there was a time when I could win a match or two. Regards Stephen

    Hi Stephen,
    Mine is, when I can get it, is good old Kentucky extract.

    Back to reality, thank you for your post.
    You obviously had produced a great product for people coming back for more.
    I have found over the years, that guys who gave out samples to mates, a lot ended up with a small businesses casting and coating. Then they became overwhelmed with people wanting product as word spread.
    Some, simply went one step further, and began commercially producing whilst working in a full time job.
    A few more simply went the whole hog, and decided to working full time for themselves, casting and coating. It gave them satisfaction, and small bonus is, it paid bills.
    It is a very addictive pleasure when success is achieved.
    Joe

  8. #10248
    Boolit Man
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    106
    Sorry for talking about hitek but...

    Ive adjusted my cooking weight and time and used a more diluted mix and my colours are looking much better.

    Based on ausglocks advice Ive reduced temp to 190 from 200, increased time to 11 minutes and now using 120mls / 20 grams. It feels like i can swirl longer now.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SmartSelect_20180710-212227_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	223472

  9. #10249
    Boolit Master




    HI-TEK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,517
    Quote Originally Posted by dansedgli View Post
    Sorry for talking about hitek but...

    Ive adjusted my cooking weight and time and used a more diluted mix and my colours are looking much better.

    Based on ausglocks advice Ive reduced temp to 190 from 200, increased time to 11 minutes and now using 120mls / 20 grams. It feels like i can swirl longer now.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SmartSelect_20180710-212227_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	223472

    They look great. Have you smash tested them?
    With swirling/coating, I have to say, that with first coat, you add just barely enough coating mixture to cast, it should be just enough volume to barely coat. Only shake coat for 10-15 seconds. Rough finishes, mostly caused by too much or too long tumble coating. As solvent dries off, the residue becomes sticky. This causes small lumps to form. Then drying and baking, simply sets this coating as is, lumps and all. It ends up rough looking. Using more diluted mix helps, as you apply same volume of a dilute mixture, and ends up using less coating as well. This reduces the sticky lumps from forming.

  10. #10250
    Boolit Master




    HI-TEK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,517
    dansedgli sent you a pm

  11. #10251
    Boolit Man
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    106
    Yep, they pass the smash test.

    My brown hot spots have pretty much disappeared which I'm happy about. That picture looks a bit brighter than in real life but I am pretty happy with it now.

    Is there a 3rd green colour? A mate was shooting a green colour darker than mine tonight, he got the boolits from another guy who has started making his own. They looked pretty good.

  12. #10252
    Boolit Master




    HI-TEK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,517

    Greens

    Quote Originally Posted by dansedgli View Post
    Yep, they pass the smash test.

    My brown hot spots have pretty much disappeared which I'm happy about. That picture looks a bit brighter than in real life but I am pretty happy with it now.

    Is there a 3rd green colour? A mate was shooting a green colour darker than mine tonight, he got the boolits from another guy who has started making his own. They looked pretty good.
    Yes there is a Dark Green Metallic.
    It is a very popular colour as well. Attached is a pictureClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Dark Green V-2 Metallic  210617.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	223473

  13. #10253
    Boolit Man
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    106
    That's the one. Might try that next when I get bored of ZG.

  14. #10254
    Boolit Man
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    106
    Tried coating some copper jacket projectiles today.

    I threw them in last minute so ended up doing 2 coats on those and 3 on the lead.

    Worked out pretty good.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20180712-234844_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	223587

  15. #10255
    Boolit Man
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    106
    Again with a close up.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SmartSelect_20180713-002512_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	223589

    I am not sure what benefits this might have apart from being used at clubs or matches that have banned plated projies.

  16. #10256
    Boolit Master Avenger442's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    "Sweet Home" Alabama
    Posts
    695
    From previous statements on this thread, mainly from Joe, the coating of jacketed has been done to prevent some of the copper fouling in the barrel therefore extending length of time between cleanings and may add some speed due to lubrication using the same load. I understand that some competition guys have used it on rifle bullets to help improve scores and the length of time that a barrel will last. The help being something like molly coated bullets. Guys that shoot a lot of bullets in a year, 1000s, have to replace barrels fairly regular due to erosion. I've always understood that most of this erosion was due to extreme heat at the beginning of the lands. Especially with competition loads in rifles and distances out to 1000 yards where you are pushing the limit on max loading. So I'm not sure about extended barrel life being a particular advantage of Hi Tek, molly or any other coating. Maybe a reduction in the amount of heat due to reduced load producing the same speed? I can see how a lube could give you some more speed out of the same load. I have not personally tested any of this. So all is an assumption based on reading what others have written.

    And there is always the purdy colors. I guess it could be done to color code rounds for some reason.

    Maybe there is a test brewing here for someone to engage in? We tried the speed test between PC and Hi Tek and didn't find much difference. What about jacketed and jacketed with HI Tek coating max power? Anyone game?
    Last edited by Avenger442; 07-12-2018 at 02:53 PM.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens..

  17. #10257
    Boolit Master




    HI-TEK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,517
    Quote Originally Posted by dansedgli View Post
    Again with a close up.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SmartSelect_20180713-002512_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	223589

    I am not sure what benefits this might have apart from being used at clubs or matches that have banned plated prodgies.

    dansedgli
    These tests were done many years ago in Aus.
    The aim was to stop Copper fouling of barrels. As you know, Copper residues in Barrel require removal of this contaminant, and cleaners in effect erode away the bore by electrolytic corrosion.
    Main thing of benefit, when using coated Jacketed or Electroplated cast is, no more Copper fouling, clean barrels, no more corrosive cleaners required, possibly resulting in less barrel wear and possible increase in accuracy. I don't know about speed changes, as that test was not done.

    The coatings, will not reduce possibility of Copper pieces being a problem with bounce back towards shooter in indoor ranges.

  18. #10258
    Boolit Master
    Ausglock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    NSW North Coast, Australia
    Posts
    2,352
    I coated some Tigershark Plated 123gn HP and ran them through the TurBor.
    Shot fine with no issues.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

  19. #10259
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    984
    *gasp* using the oppositions projectiles? shame shame

    I know a guy that used some tigershark projectiles, they didn't have many good things to say about them, hopefully it was just a bad batch.

  20. #10260
    Boolit Master
    Ausglock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    NSW North Coast, Australia
    Posts
    2,352
    Yeah. I got a 1000 to test against my 125gn SWC... for open Major in the 38 Supercomp.

    The extra $$$ per 1000 was not worth the effort.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Page 513 of 531 FirstFirst ... 13413463503504505506507508509510511512513514515516517518519520521522523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check