WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Following.

I'm going to compare no gc / gc in revolvers with the above bullet.
    When I shot pistol I shot a lot of silly wets with my 686 with both 180gr RCBS GC and RCBS 158gr GC and found no gain in using gas checks accuracy wise, but those days I had not heard of Hi-Tek, I also shot a lot of steel challenge with my 45 Auto and 230gr RCBS gas check design, I actually found much better accuracy with that bullet without the checks as many others also did. I still have that 230gr mould and I have removed the gas check ring and it shoots a dream in brothers 45 auto and his 460 SW. I don't claim to know it all but Hi-Tek has improved the accuracy of all loads I use and I don't have to deal with greasy lubes any more. I also believe that Hi-Tek allows the use of alloys that may have been marginal in the old lube days. I also think powder selection is more important than gas checks. A lot of what we all knew before Hi-Tek is no longer relevant in my view. I have cast some 320gr plain base .452 for my brothers 460sw out of 50 50 clip on and stick on wheel weights with no extra tin to see what difference it makes to present loads, I am tipping none. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cohen View Post
    I also believe that Hi-Tek allows the use of alloys that may have been marginal in the old lube days. I also think powder selection is more important than gas checks. A lot of what we all knew before Hi-Tek is no longer relevant in my view.
    That's why I keep on experimenting. Even though I never knew much. But now,like when I tried a 325 grain NLG & No Crimp Groove bullet in 500 S&W, up to max load 1600 fps 3" barrel. I still cant believe it is completely clean. I force crimp with Lee collet crimp, TMG Gold just works. 50k psi. 14-16 BHN.

I keep parroting these loads.

And NLG molds are so nice to cast with. Bullets drop easily. Bla bla bedtime here good night life is good.

Boolit Master
    I have found the same thing, the fewer grooves, the easier they drop out.

Have you tried different coatings with the same load and projectile? It would be interesting to see if a regular non metalic will also keep your barrel lead free at these speeds.

Good night, enjoy your nap.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    I have found the same thing, the fewer grooves, the easier they drop out.

Have you tried different coatings with the same load and projectile? It would be interesting to see if a regular non metalic will also keep your barrel lead free at these speeds.

Good night, enjoy your nap.
    I have to admit I had a real love for the earlier gold and for some reason it just looked so good and worked wonders, but I have not found any difference in all the metallic colours I have used. I presently have some Candy apple Red and like it also and can't say it works any different in my loads as yet, the real test will be some I cast for my brother and his 460sw which is a test worthy platform. I have done some Candy Apple Red for friends 9mm and all seems well, I generally find the 9mm will show any short comings a coating has. The one thing that is the same for coating and lube is bullet fit. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    Looking forward to hearing how your brother goes with them

I do like the look of candy apple, i may get some next time to try

I have some very fussy cast in 158 fp, the drop a little large for coating, so i have to coat once, size with an over sized die then 2 more coats then size at the correct size. If i don't, some lock up the sizer, it sure works for it. Doing it this way will knock off a little coating on the initial size, the extra 2 coats fix that and they look just right.

Boolit Master

I already had quite a few colours,used them for a year, when I stumbled into TMG Gold. It may be my contaminated alloy but TMG Gold gives me the best coating of all the colours. It's never "dry looking" neither flaking, always glass-like,elastic,tough. Idiot-proof to bake with only slight colour change. None of the others give me that elasticity. Candy Apple is another one that I have used for 500 S&W. And "Normal" Gold for Marlin 45-70... can't remember.

So I'm fine with TMG Gold alone for now... especially if I can still find some. Zombie Green for example will not bond to my alloy at all,no matter how I HCL soak or whatever. By now I know it's not me or my technique - and I started with Zombie Green...

I just made Candy Apple 357 bullets using my TMG bake which takes bullets up to 190 °C @ 5 min, I then bake until 9 min is up, some bullets are 200°C by then. It's the radiant heat. Candy goes brown. I know,I should bake shorter and not too hot but I get excellent TMG Gold bullets this way. Every now and then it's good to stop testing and just go shooting.

My next test will be TMG Gold as a primer first coat for other colours to follow.
    Last edited by Petander; 11-20-2019 at 06:00 PM.

Boolit Master
    When you find one that works for you, no reason to change it.

I started with 122 red and K15 black. I had a few issues with 122, only because i tried to cook too many at once, and you could see between coats that some were far lighter than others that i assume had not fully cured. The black was never an issue, cause the projectiles i cooked in black were smaller, i just do smaller batches now and all are cured correctly. Thankfully I have no bonding issues using recycled range scrap or wheel weights, so it works for me.

Boolit Master
    When you find one that works for you, no reason to change it.

Yes,with TMG Gold I can appoly the liquid by feel, squirt without measuring. It's so forgiving. A thick first coat is no problem. And I can bake without timer,using only my nose and eyes. TMG Gold has a different baking smell than the others.

Here is Red I just got. Obviously too dark but works.

Boolit Master
    Shows you have been coating for way too long, i still measure and time mine. I can tell by looking of they are cooked or not, if they look sticky, they need longer. When you get a whiff of the smoke of when they are curing, i know i have about 5 minutes left. I have a sense of when they are ready, but i trust my timer more

Boolit Master
    Yeah it's the nine minute 190°C bake that I described above. It shoots fine. And that bake gives a good colour for TMG Gold.

I'll heat treat this even darker,sorry Joe.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post

I'll heat treat this even darker,sorry Joe.
    I'm sure he won't care, it shows what his magic coating dust can actually do

Boolit Master
    I am not an expert but I see a lot of guys guessing at how long to bake bullets or when to start the time of baking. I can't take all the credit for this,it came out of the mind of Ausglock. A while back he mentioned drilling a hole in the bottom of a bullet and sticking a thermometer in to measure temp. Got me to thinking. I drilled a hole in the bottom of a coated bullet. Joe advised me that a coated bullet won't heat as fast as bare lead. Using a digital thermometer I inserted the thermocouple in the bullet and secured it with high heat aluminum tape. You could probably solder it. This thermocouple bullet goes in with the batch of bullets to bake. I put it in when the bullets are warming on top of the oven. When they hit about 120F in they go. When the temp reaches 360F I start a timer counting down from four minutes. 360F is when Joe says the coating starts to set. I try to keep my oven at a high of 385F. You could adjust the time if needed. This has taken all the guesswork out of it. I am sorry but I can't post photos on the forum . I shared this idea with Avenger442 and maybe he can post some photos of his setup. These digital thermometers can be bought on amazon and I used a multi tester from Wal mart that works well. The thermocouple lead is thin enough that it will not interfere with the closing and sealing of the oven door. Hopes this helps and it proves one thing. Ausglock does have a brain!!
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master
    Yes Slide I think we all agree Ausglock put us all on the right track and saved us a lot of heartache, but do be careful with giving him the ego boost as his head may swell and that brain may just get out of hand, hehehe. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cohen View Post
    Yes Slide I think we all agree Ausglock put us all on the right track and saved us a lot of heartache, but do be careful with giving him the ego boost as his head may swell and that brain may just get out of hand, hehehe. Regards Stephen
    I was going to say the same thing, but more along the lines of depends on who you ask, if he had been mean to them or not

Boolit Master
    You clowns... That is enough sucking up.
    The old Hungarian grump will get jealous and stop making coating...
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Ha ha...

That bullet-probe thing is a good one. Especially when you put three and notice they all read differently,I have the lowest reading in the center of the bullet pile. My basic TMG bake, bullets are 180-190 C @ 5 min, then they go up to 190-200 C @ 9 min. Coolest ones in the middle. Oven temp is 190, verified by two oven thermoneters. Radiant heat at work.

IR meters are handy.

Boolit Master

Years ago, when the HI-TEK was introduced into the US, it was advertised that the coating is a very good heat shield and reflects heat. No one believed that claim, and some did their own testing to prove or disprove heat reflecting ability of the coating.

This is the video of test done. It certainly shows that heat is not permitted to enter alloy by the coating and alloy is insulated even from molten Lead.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6x...VEjbLTV4m25gzQ

heat test video

It also prompted some research, to determine how fast heat travels into plain lead, and how much heat transfer rate is slowed with coatings on the Lead. That is when the probe in the rear of a projectiles was used.
    Uncoated Cast heated up quickly, but the coated Cast heated up much more slowly in the same oven settings.
    That basically proved claim of coatings having heat reflecting property.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    You clowns... That is enough sucking up.
    The old Hungarian grump will get jealous and stop making coating...
    With all the grief you give him, someone needs to suck up to make him feel better and keep making the magical coating powder for us

Boolit Master
    40 min in 200°C gave me Deep Purple.

Water dropped , these will be 14-16 BHN in a few days. Led Zeppelin next?

Petander, that colour red is close enough to the colour I'm getting. As you say, it works, which is all that matters. The purple looks nice, might have to try that. Wonder if you'd get the same result by bumping up the temp instead of a long bake time?

Page 626 of 742 FirstFirst ... 126526576616617618619620621622623624625626627628629630631632633634635636676726 ... LastLast