Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pocket Swager

Pocket Swager

I'm on a tight budget (as always, finishing up school) looking for something to Swage primer pockets in some .223 and 556 Military brass I acquired through trades and some purchases. Are the press types better or the reamer type? Found a tool made by Weldon (DB-18) looks like it might be a very reasonable alternative to something like the Dillon (which I can't afford anyway!!). The Weldon tool is a reamer type. Any input from people in the know would be GREAT!! Thanks!!
    45 ACP because shooting more than once is just silly!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Boolit Master
    Why not just use a countersink in a portable drill?? I have used this for years with great results.

Boolit Buddy

Many years ago I paid $25 for the RCBS primer pocket swage combo. (Some of the best cash I ever spent on reloading equipment).
    I have put tens of thousands rounds through it, mostly for friends. Faster than cutting the crimps out, but you better make sure your press is bolted to a sturdy bench first.

Perma-Banned

I have to chime in to agree with Zymurgy50. I paid somewhere around 30.00 for mine, and while it is designed for RCBS presses, I've used it successfully with my Lee Classic and currently my SmartReloader.
    OB

[FONT=times new roman][SIZE=3]Je suis Charlie

Safeguard our way of life...Defend the Constitution against ALL Enemies, Foreign and Domestic!!!

Boolit Master
    I'll have to agree with the other two gents who favor the rcbs. Reasonably priced and works well.

Boolit Master

If you're going to make a regular habit of this, I highly recommend the Dillon SS600.

It's a bit pricey compared to other options, but I used to do a LOT of 7.62x51 and .30-06 military brass and nothing compares to this tool for that task. It pushes the metal back into place from the swaged primer pockets. Once set up (which doesn't take long at all) you can run through cases very fast.

If you have buddies, buy one and split the costs.

dale in Louisiana
    (satisfied and impressed customer)

Boolit Master
    I really like C&H4D's Pocket swage it's simple and effective. 419001 Swage Kit it's maybe $23.00+S&H. You do need a decent O-Frame press to use it.
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

Boolit Buddy
    The RCBS swagger works great I had to make a little piece of wood for the case stripper to hit on my lee press not hard at all also a little touch of lee case lube on the tool every once in a while sure makes them release better and less violently

Boolit Master
    Citing what I paid for anything decades ago is hardly helpful to anyone today.

The lowest cost tool that removes pocket crimps and makes them the right shape is the Lyman pocket reamer. Chuck the reamer bit in an electic drill and it's done in a few seconds. I know nothing of the Weldon but it's probaly good too. I've been told Hornady has one also but I haven't checked.
    Last edited by 1hole; 06-22-2013 at 05:59 PM.

A standard counter sink from your local big box store would be less expensive. Get one with a hex shank so it will fit a screwdriver - powered or not. Actually, a 3/16''s screwdriver bit makes a good primer pocket reamer.

Also, ask around your shooting colleagues for a loaner or if you can buy them a beer and bs.
    I have a Dillon and I'd be happy to be sit and chat with mid Michigan area people who wanted to stop by on a weekend and shoot the breeze while they swaged primer pockets.

There is a slight danger that I might have an area that was in need of a hole. Perfect college student type work. We have clay soil.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymurgy50 View Post
    Many years ago I paid $25 for the RCBS primer pocket swage combo. (Some of the best cash I ever spent on reloading equipment).
    I have put tens of thousands rounds through it, mostly for friends. Faster than cutting the crimps out, but you better make sure your press is bolted to a sturdy bench first.
    +1 especially on a budget. It works well without over doing it like many folks tend to do with the chamfer tool causing loose primers.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44Vaquero View Post
    I really like C&H4D's Pocket swage it's simple and effective. 419001 Swage Kit it's maybe $23.00+S&H. You do need a decent O-Frame press to use it.
    Agree w/ all but the press. I currently have mine set up on a RCBS JR3. But before I purchases that one on the cheap I was using it on a LCT w/ no problems. If it was working on. LCT w/ play in the turret it will work on anything.

I have 2 of the RCBS swager combo sets. The Dillon unit is nice. But it also has a price tag he may not appreciate while in school.
    Be careful,
    Victor

Life member NRA

Boolit Buddy
    If there is any chance you have some shooting buddies who *might* pay you 1 cent per case to swage their brass it might be worthwhile to buy the Dillon swage. I mean to say if there is enough interest to pay for it or at least offset the cost. You can do 1000 in a very, very short time.
    I put off buying one for many years, telling myself that I could not afford it, that I didn't have enough crimped pockets to justify it. I got by for many years with a pocket knife, a countersink, and a set of the Lyman hand reamers.
    Problem with a pocket knife or a countersink is how do you know if you have cut too much or too little?
    I mounted my swage on a stub 2 x 4 and clamp it in my table vise so as to save room on my workbench. I even varnished the wood block. It looks pretty cool.
    Its not the AR-15, its the PG -13.

Thanks for your all your input!! I would love a Dillon Super Swage 600 but right now School no job tough to spend at least a hundred bucks to swedge around 500 or so primer pockets. I'll save and get one. I'm gonna ask at my club too maybe someone I can borrow one from there? I have some time! Still have a few hundred 223 left and I don't shoot the AR nearly as much as my Kimber 1911 or my M&P 9C.
    45 ACP because shooting more than once is just silly!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gliden07 View Post
    Thanks for your all your input!! I would love a Dillon Super Swage 600 but right now School no job tough to spend at least a hundred bucks to swedge around 500 or so primer pockets. I'll save and get one. I'm gonna ask at my club too maybe someone I can borrow one from there? I have some time! Still have a few hundred 223 left and I don't shoot the AR nearly as much as my Kimber 1911 or my M&P 9C.
    there's the idea!

I had mine mounted on a section of heavy aluminum 'T' stock so I could just chuck it in a vise when I needed it. I loaned it out more than once to friends who wanted to process surplus brass.

And yes, it is a luxury, really, because there are many much less expensive ways to accomplish the task. You trade time for money, just like in real life.

dale in Louisiana

Boolit Grand Master

I have used several different methods over the years, and as my budget would allow. They all worked ok. I reamed my first cases with the tang end of a flat file. It worked ok, but was a little hard on the hands. A deburring tool, like you use on case mouths works ok. I later bought a 45 degree countersink, and used it in a drill. It worked ok, but as others have stated, can easily be over done. Most loading tool companies make a hand tool for this, like Lyman, and Wilson makes one for their case trimmer that is very high quality. I have an RCBS swager, and it will shake even a sturdy table, but works ok. The best that I have found is the Dillon, it's just expensive. It does require minor adjustments for different cases. Anyway, I've used all of these methods, and they all work, so just pick what your budget will allow, and run with it. Lightman

Boolit Bub
    Why not use your chamfer tool? Even though I have the RCBS swage, I find it much faster and easier to use my chamfer tool. A couple of half twists and its done. For only 500 rounds, I'd save the funds for some future project.

Boolit Master

I have used my RCBS swaging combo so much that RCBS has sent me two replacements for the small swager rod. It works well and you cant "over do it" like you can with a reamer or a countersink.

Since my daughter and son in law have both acquired AR's, I think that I may have to purchase a Dillon swager tool to keep up with the increased load. One of us can use the Dillon and one can used the RCBS.
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Buddy
    started with the RCBS unit picked up the Hornady reamers and mounted to a sm. motor, ran across a decent deal on a Dillon so grabbed it to see what all the hopla was about, of the 3 the Hornady is the only one I still own