Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RepackboxWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 38/55

Boolit Buddy

38/55

I just got back from the range with my 38/55.It is a Marlin 336 that was rebored from 30/30.I was shooting the RCBS -37-250 bullet sized at .377.The load I was using was 32.0grs of H-4895.I temporarily put on a Tasco 3x9 on it until I can get a good load.Then I plan on using a Williams peep for hunting.After getting the scope dialed in I shot one group at 50yds. and then one at 100yds.I am both suprised and pleased.The 50yd. group measured .723" and the one at 100yds. was 1.11".I am ready to go hunting!

Boolit Master
    Excellent! I have a 38-55 on my list. I hope mine shoots as good as yours.

Boolit Master

My .38-55 is a re-barrel on a Winchester 94 that was a .30-30. The very first load I tried surprised me too. From a wobbly bench with a peep I fired a five inch group at 150 yards.

Nice caliber. I use mine for lever action silhouette. Love it.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jtaylor1960 View Post
    I just got back from the range with my 38/55.It is a Marlin 336 that was rebored from 30/30.I was shooting the RCBS -37-250 bullet sized at .377.The load I was using was 32.0grs of H-4895.I temporarily put on a Tasco 3x9 on it until I can get a good load.Then I plan on using a Williams peep for hunting.After getting the scope dialed in I shot one group at 50yds. and then one at 100yds.I am both suprised and pleased.The 50yd. group measured .723" and the one at 100yds. was 1.11".I am ready to go hunting!
    WOW, sweet shooter. Did you chrono that load?

I may have to try that load in my 1885 38-55. I have a good plinker load but need to come up with a good hunt load. I was going to work one up with 4198 and probably still will. I have a jug of 4895 so I'll give it a go too.
    ph4570

Boolit Buddy
    Don't have a chronograph. I saw an article by John Taffin in the archives over at Leverguns.He was using 33.0grs. in a Marlin Cowboy gun.He listed about 1750fps.I just checked and the article is still there.He listed some other loads and the accuracy he got although mine actually shot better.I think he used open sights.

Boolit Buddy
    I have two of the molds I used to shoot the groups I wrote about so today I fired up my new stove and ran them both.The one had never been used .It only took about a half hour to cast over 100 bullets. I cleaned them up and put on a light coat of graphite mold release and they both worked great.For of the shelf molds I really like RCBS iron molds.

Boolit Mold
    Hey, is your rifle a JES reboring job? And what's the barrel length? Thanks, Lee.

Boolit Buddy

Thumbs up Source of your accurate load???

Your load sounds exciting- just about every lever action owners dream!
    I purchased a new, unfired old Win94 Legendary Frontiersman in 38-55 (24") earlier this year, and it now wears a receiver sight, and will be used in the woods on a regular basis as a "woods rifle"-- it will never have a j-word projectile down its virgin bore, not ever!
    Anyway, I'm curious about the source of the load data. The only mention I find for this powder in my extensive library of older loading data is in Ken Water's 1976 vintage article printed in his excellent test called "Pet Loads". I trust his data completely, but was wondering if this data appeared elsewhere?
    Trust me to try your load with prayers that it performs as well for me!
    Thanks-
    358wcf

Boolit Buddy
    Yes the gun is a JES rebore.It is a 20 inch barrel.The load is from an article by John Taffin.He was using 33.0 gr.in two different guns.Other powders like RL-7,H-322,H-4198 and similar seem to all work well in the cartridge.

Boolit Master
    I use a 38-55 for 200 yard silhouette matches my club holds. I load a 250 gr LFP slug over 18 gr of AA5744. Both my Marlin Cowboy and my 1885 winchester loves this load. I get consistent 2.5 to 3 inch groups off a benchrest at 200 yards with it.

Boolit Mold
    ok...I have a JES rebored win 94 20" and your results make me excited about loading for my rifle. I see that it likes the .377 sized bullets so that answers one question about loading for mine. I just put a marbles improved tang sight on mine and have to order the loading equipment...are you using ww's
    Last edited by gathumper; 10-10-2009 at 06:46 PM.

Boolit Mold

38-55 loads

My 38-55 Marlin likes a Barne's origninal .377 255 jsp with a good load of H-322 for around 1800fps. I plan on using this load for elk in December. The gun will group at one inch, for the first two or three shots, with this load and it seems to have a lot of energy transfer at the target.

Boolit Buddy
    I use wheel weights with some tin added.The hardness is still about 12. At the velocity you get in this cartridge that should be good for some expansion.

358WCF,

The first Legacy of Leverguns published by Wolf Publishing listed some H4895 loads (using the Lyman 375449). I believe the loaddata.com site has some of that info too (including Water's loads).

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    JT, I'm a fan of the remake of the vintage Ideal 375166, 325gr bullet. Here's a couple of targets, 100 and 200 which are less than MOA ... using black powder and iron sights. Am totally convinced that if I had a scope on the BPCR, the groups would have been even smaller

100yd

200yd

And if you want to stretch it out to 300yds, here's the group using a NRA 200yd target ...

Here's the bullet. With nitro powder, there will be plenty of room to seat it in the case ...
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 358wcf View Post
    Your load sounds exciting- just about every lever action owners dream!
    I purchased a new, unfired old Win94 Legendary Frontiersman in 38-55 (24") earlier this year, and it now wears a receiver sight, and will be used in the woods on a regular basis as a "woods rifle"-- it will never have a j-word projectile down its virgin bore, not ever!
    Anyway, I'm curious about the source of the load data. The only mention I find for this powder in my extensive library of older loading data is in Ken Water's 1976 vintage article printed in his excellent test called "Pet Loads". I trust his data completely, but was wondering if this data appeared elsewhere?
    Trust me to try your load with prayers that it performs as well for me!
    Thanks-
    358wcf
    358wcf..
    Here is a link to the article jTaylor refers to... link is to page 2 that has the load data..Poke around at this site for more 38-55 info...good stuff!
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...g=content;col1

Boolit Mold
    First post but long time visitor. I have found a very accurate load in my Marlin 336 38/55 cowboy conversion with BAC's bullet #379300. I get right at 1" to 1 1/2" groups at 100 yrds. with peep sights and using 777 powder. I also get very good results with an original Winchester 38/55 255 gr. mold that produces a .378 dia. soft cast bullet.

I had Jesse do a rebore for me last year. I ended up doing a throat slug of it and designed up a few boolits for it. They all drop at 0.380-0.381. Jesse does fine work at a very good price. One day I'm hoping to have him do a 356 for me too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 380-230GC.JPG.JPG   380-265 PB & GC.JPG.JPG  

Boolit Buddy
    Are these the molds listed on your site?How do they shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by jtaylor1960 View Post
    Are these the molds listed on your site?How do they shoot?
    Yes they are.

Initially I made the two 265 grain boolits. They showed good promise in initial load developement until I ran into forearm issues. Using Reloder 7 and Benchmark, the GC version ran just above an inch at full velocity and 22 bhn boolits. The PB version was similar with Unique and soft boolits. Never tried much faster with that one. Things went all to hell when the forearm loosened up on me. Likely from the few times it was on and off and the bbl band attachment and stout loads. I tried a few bedding schemes that failed to work and finally just bought a new forearm and bbl band. Anyway, during this time I switched to the 230 gr GC boolit and Reloder 7 powder. Accuracy was there, but erratic until the forearm issue was resolved. Now it runs just below an inch for 3 shots, and just above for 5. I'm running it top end. I still have to get back to the heavier boolits. So, to answer your question, they shoot pretty good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast