MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: 357 herrett

Boolit Master

357 herrett

what is your best cast load for the 357 herrett in 14 in tc barrel? thanks charles

Boolit Bub
    I don't have one but am looking also. I'll watch your thread....

Boolit Master
    did you mean you are looking for a load or barrel? i just got a new mgm 14 in 357 herrett. i have the rcbs 205gr gc i belive. and lyman 215 swc gc mold. would be starting there. and then there is the copper stuf. thanks

Boolit Bub
    I have a super 14 bbl. I have been shooting jacketed but would like to play with some cast next summer.

tm

I shoot a 14" 357 Herrett for IHMSA silhouettes out to 200 meters. I found that SR4759 is a very good powder for the Herrett. I used 18.5 grains of 4759 under that RCBS 35-200-FN as a good ram killing load. IMR handbook says 23.0 grains (compressed) is max. with 200 gr. jacketed bullet for 1675 fps in a 14" barrel, but I found that the lighter load was plenty of knockdown on the 200m rams and was much more pleasant to shoot. 20 - 23 grains would make a good deer hunting load.
    For a little more velocity, IMR lists 28.2 grains max. of IMR 4198 for 1820 fps. This would definitely be a handful, but a good hunting load for bigger critters like elk or black bear.
    I also shoot the excellent Lyman 358156 155 gr. SWC in the Herrett. I have shot this bullet in the Herrett, a 35 Rem. and two 357 mags and it is always the most accurate high speed bullet. With a load of 19.5 grains of 4759 it is accurate and has enough oomph to knock down all the silhouette targets, including the rams. So, I shoot this load at all the targets now. IMR lists a max. load of the same 23.0 grains of 4759 at 1810 fps for 158 jacketed bullets. Also, back when I was shooting the 200 gr. bullets for rams, I shot a load of 12.5 gr. of Unique under this bullet for the chickens, pigs and turkeys. This load goes about 1650 fps. and is very mild to shoot.