Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lyman 55 black powder measure review

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.

Lyman 55 black powder measure review

First: I firmly believe that the warnings about not using black powder in regular measures are a load of you know what. That said, I was looking to get a dedicated black powder measure, and figured I'd go whole hog and get the Lyman 55 with drop tube.

The good: Very well made, repeatable results, can also be used with smokeless.

The bad: The clamp isn't big enough; even tightened all the way down the dispenser still rotates on the clamp base quite easily. Worse still, using black powder leaves fines in the dispenser that cause a LOT of rust, FAST; to be fair, Lyman warns about this and says that after using black powder you should disassemble the drum and scrub out with alcohol.... ok.... and you do that and you've just degreased the metal as well as cleaned it, and it rusts even faster. Beyond cosmetics, this leads to a rotor that simply will NOT turn until the unit is taken apart and polished out. The only solution I've found is to spray it down with oil after using, but to prevent powder contamination, you then have to degrease again before use, a real pain. They really needed to either finish the interior surfaces with teflon or something, or else machine the base of the unit out of brass or aluminum or at very least stainless steel for this dispenser.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    I have found by actual usage of a regular old gray Lyman 55 to fill my BP cartridge tubes for skirmish competition that rust and binding could be prevented easily......and I kept my measure in an unheated NC shed.

Starting with a clean measure, I lightly lubed all the raw metal areas of the measure and components with a light finger applied application of Lee case lube in the tube container. That is a take apart and reassemble drill. The lube is a microchrystalline wax. Slides, drum, even external blued parts,etc. Then the parts were assembled and operated after it was thoroughly dry.

After use the powder was dumped back into the can and the measure operated vigorously a few times and replaced on the shelf where it was mounted........ready to go next time. Worked for me...

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Question

jonk, Just a thought, but would a film of graphite help prevent rusting due to BP fines? Years ago I used NAPA's DGF 123 (Dry Graphite Film) on my iron molds and it helped keep rust at bay. It wasn't a great addition to the cavities, though.

I use spray on graphite (Slip Plate) on the body of my 55 and powdered graphite on the drum and slides. This treatment has kept this measure operational with no further maintenance in the last 2 years. The measure stays on the press and powder stays in the measure. My set up is in the basement and is moderately humid, especially in summer.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    I do have some dry lube that I can try; I hadn't considered that. Next time I have it out, that's my plan.

Boolit Grand Master

Powdered graphite has worked for me for years. BTW my 55 that I got from my father in law was marked for all powders.

Boolit Master
    I live in a very dry climate so never any rust on my 55s- have 3 of them. Have had them for years. However, I'll echo the use of graphite for maintenance. I poof a little powdered graphite into the bottle and on the drum every year or so and put a small drop of oil on the external adjustments. There may be more accurate measures out there, but the 55 has always done everything I needed and they are really hard to wear out or break if treated right.
    Trust but verify the honeyguide