Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Wideners Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1893 Spanish Mauser Question

Boolit Buddy
    Clean up of barrel is showing improvement but slow . My eyes are not going to let me use miltary rear sight.
    Can anyone suggest a make & model receiver sight to place on 1983 Spainish Mauser ? Would I need to replace front sight also ? Thanks

I've had experience with 3 spanish 7x57 mausers. One is very nicely sporterized carbine-beautifully reblued--for a youth. It's my wife's joy. It shoots very well.
    The second was original long rifle with most of the wood long gone and a filthy bore. I cleaned it every way possible, including electrolysis. Couldn't get it to group. Sold it to a guy who wanted the action.
    Third was a short rifle. I cleaned the heck out of it but it sprayed lead worse than the rifle.
    I would love a 93 7x57 rifle with a good bore. Fortunately, I have a nice Swede and a good shooting Argie to keep my hunger at bay.

Boolit Buddy
    I read everything everyone wrote & kept cleaning. After leaving Kroil & Hoppe's 9 in barrel for a week , I pulled the plug out and barrel still looked bad inside after a cleaning. I read where someone mentioned the barrel bores on these rifles was big so I ordered .287 boolits from Montana. When they got here , I attempted to loaded 25.5 grains IMR4895 under them but boolits kept sticking in the seating die. Ended up having to wipe boolits with a rag, take seating stem out, and oiling neck area in die. The reason for this is because the boolits can be seated way out!!!
    Went to range today and shot at 25 yards. I can't see sights or target very well (old eyes) but give it my best. When I finish, guy shooting next to me says "Nice cluster". I walk down and look. It is a nice cluster. When I get back to bench, guy ask if he could shoot it. He then starts shooting at skeet on a bank 125 yards away and hits them. This gun is going to cost me a lot of money for everything I want to buy for it now.

Boolit Master
    well if the barrel is junk. that action makes a good rebarrel to .35remington.that makes a good cast lead shooter.

the rough riders went up kettle hill. then supported the black troops under pershing.it was really sanjuan heights which was a groop of hills. who also had krags. most of the others were national guard troops armed with trapdoors.

Boolit Grand Master

For old cruddy bores I use the purple soaps available from auto parts stores and Walmart, etc. Purple Power is $12.00 for 2 1/2 gallons from Walmart, just bought it today. Super Clean is another brand.
    Use it like bore cleaner or plug the barrel and let it set for 15 or 20 minutes. I also put some soap in a coffee can and pump the patch up and down the bore with the muzzle in the can. This will remove an amazing amount of crud. You will have to finish with regular bore cleaner then oil the bore.
    I second the Midway barrel for a replacement, but I do not recommend the 7.62X39 barrel and feed kit from Numrich.

Quote Originally Posted by jjnpg317 View Post
    Clean up of barrel is showing improvement but slow . My eyes are not going to let me use miltary rear sight.
    Can anyone suggest a make & model receiver sight to place on 1983 Spainish Mauser ? Would I need to replace front sight also ? Thanks
    I replaced with Redfield peep and plug the opening on the wood of the upper hand rest, since some one ad already removed the original rear sight on mine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-.308 spanish mauser.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	78619
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3-spanish mauser.jpg  

I.....Went to range today and shot at 25 yards. I can't see sights or target very well (old eyes) but give it my best. When I finish, guy shooting next to me says "Nice cluster". I walk down and look. It is a nice cluster. When I get back to bench, guy ask if he could shoot it. He then starts shooting at skeet on a bank 125 yards away and hits them. This gun is going to cost me a lot of money for everything I want to buy for it now.
    A peep site is a vast improvement over the original military rear site. That means drilling and tapping the receiver as well as the expense of the peep. A scope addition means drilling and tapping as well as bolt and safety modifications. Lots of money. If you can do the labor yourself, not as much money.

Before launching into that project, go down to the local Walmart and weigh the expense against the price of a new "tupperware" bolt rifle in the rack. I once put twice the price of a low end scoped Rem Mod 7 into a 1916.

I hope this helps,
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

I have an old spanish 93 Oviedo that was cut down. It still had the original sights. The rear sight was taken off base sleeve and all. The sight sleeve was replaced with a piece of pipe bored to the barrel size and turned to fit a Thompson Center Weaver scope base. The pipe sleeve was drilled and tapped to fit the mount and a handgun scope mounted. The old gal actually does shoot right well now that I can see the target with the scope. All in all cost was $10 for the base, $35 for the scope, ten cents worth of solder for the sleeve and a pipe nipple for the junk box. I'm not exactly a spring chicken so the scope help a lot. It has held 1.5" groups at 100 yards with this set up. No so shabby for an old $20 rifle.

Bill

Boolit Buddy
    This gun shoots cast so well I decided to scope it. Redfield was contacted and replied their mount #47157 would work. The question I need answered now is do I ground the clip guide off the rear of receiver or leave it on & use shims ?

In Remembrance

Redfield/Leupold #51263 2 pc. bases.........no need to alter the action to mount bases.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

The one piece Leupold that looks the same as the Redfield 47157 need shimming on the 98 action, but does accommodate the Stripper clip boss.

Not really apples to apples, but I hope that points you in the right direction.
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Boolit Buddy
    The following things have been done to the rifle ; shortened the barrel to 22" ( prior owner cut it to 25"), install Redfield Base 47157 ( did not have to grind anything down/fit perfect over clip guide), installed a Bolt trigger, bolt handle turned down for scope clearance , and shortened stock. Went to the range with Montana boolits (160 grain sized .287 ) and 25.5 grains of Imr4895 and filler. At 100 yards, this rifle shoots better than any rifle I have ever owned!! It shoots small groups in spite of a nasty bore and being ugly. I like it and it is a keeper!!

Jinpg317,

Photos? Please share.
    Uber7mm

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by uber7mm View Post
    jinpg317,

photos? Please share.
    ditto

Boolit Buddy
    I don't know how to send pictures on the computer. I can make some and send through mail to someone to post if they would. It's not a beauty by any standard but it shoots great and doesn't kick the h**l out of me with boolits. I don't hunt anything anymore but do like shooting, so it's good for me.

Boolit Master
    I have a way to mount a long eye relief handgun scope and not damage the rifle at all. the inst is to long to type out, PM me and we will talk if I can help

Boolit Buddy
    On the recent GB (NOE 288407) , I cast a few and sized them .287 in a Lyman sizing die that was opened up from .285. Went to the range and at 25 yards with scope , five shots in the target center red dot. Skipped fifty yards and went to a hundred yards distance. Five shots within two inches of each other and no keyholes. The barrel is still nasty and dark , but it shoots the two cast boolits I've used almost to the same place. Is this normal ?

Boolit Mold
    Just bought one. Nicely re-done; looks like a museum piece.
    Considering it probably had not had an appropriate cleaning since birth I ran industrial amounts of Hoppe's #9 thru it until clear. Whew! Then Sweet's 7.62 Solvent for the prescribed 15 minutes and the patch came out dark blue. Few more patches alternating Sweet's-soaked /clean patches and the barrel became clean as it was before first firing in 1927. Took it up the hill to gun range and it was quite precise and accurate. It is now my new deer rifle.
    Anyone know where I can get my hands on the cleaning rod that goes with it?

Sweet's 7.72 Solvent. Good stuff for getting the copper outa the barrel. Get some, you will be pleasantly pleased.

IronSight

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123