Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: 5010 powder?

Boolit Bub

5010 powder?

is there any other uses for 5010 powder besides 50 cal reloading? I have approx 40lbs of it and no 50 cal rifle.thanks don

Boolit Master

Buckshot provides a couple loads in the 30-06 and 8x57 cartridges at Castpics.net.

http://castpics.net/LoadData/Surplus/default.html
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Master
    Used in large overbore cases, 264 Mag., some of the Weatherbys, prolly would work well in the RUMs.

I've been using 50 grains under the NOE 311284 and 311299 in my Krag and it has no problem at all holding the black at 200 yards. Groups aren't the tightest but I have not determined the reason for that yet, could simply be my eyes. Maybe 6 unburned kernels of powder each shot, certainly less than I used to get with 5744. The 50 grains comes to almost to the top of the case and the boolit is compressing the powder. No signs of pressure on the primers. I'm using Large Rifle Primers.

I wish I had more of this powder.

Mark

Use at your own risk.

Boolit Bub
    I have 16 lbs of the stuff, that a friend gave me when he moved out of New Yorkistan. If I run it thru a blender, maybe I can shoot it in my 6mm BR----maybe not......

ddhotbot, Search through these posts: http://www.google.com/cse?cx=0019512...wder&sa=Search The short answer is that you can use it in higher pressure cartridges (with LR mag. primers) from the .270Win. -> 8 x 57mm Mauser, and possibly others too, but I have no experience with those. You may also want to explore using small amounts of filler, such as poly shot buffer or powdered bran in cases such as the .30-06 atop 5010 to raise pressure enough to make it burn cleaner.

Boolit Master
    You don't need filler because you can shoot a case full in almost everything unless the bullet is exceptionally heavy for bore size. Probably could use a kicker of a small amount of fast powder and work up a load.

flounderman, You're right, you don't NEED a filler, but small amounts poly shotshell buffer or powdered bran clean things up significantly. The filler also helps to reduce extreme velocity spreads and standard deviations. Somewhat of a PITA to do, but it works reliably.

Boolit Master
    I loaded up some .303 British for my very worn SMLE #1 using IMR 5010. I have a lot of it. At the range two days ago I could keep them in 4" at 100 yds off the bench as issued sights. The load was Hornady 150 SP .312, slightly compressed 5010, and a Winchester LRM primer. This was just a little diversion for me. Judging from recoil I'd guess around 1600 fps but that's a WAG. These cases had been previously fireformed using the oil method in this gun. No soot on necks, primers backed out some, and around 20 'mummies' per shot. Tipping the barrel down they fall right out.