RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SPG Causing corrosion on lead bullets?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    Mike ain't involved with spg anymore and hasn't been for quite some time.
    it's all steve's baby now.

Dan know's what's in his lube he put it there, he has even posted his secret recipe on the board.

I don't know what the problem is, nobody stepped on your toes or come over your way to cause trouble.

That's an easy one to answer...I have no problem, BUT.......Doing the right thing is seldom easy, but it is always right. Same reason I served this board until my work schedule made me inneffective at helping most of the many fine members here in a timely manner.
    Last edited by 357maximum; 06-20-2013 at 10:32 PM.

Banned

you don't say.
    where did the soap corrosion come in.
    your extensive testing shows?
    you rubbed some on what?
    did you put it next to the alox, or under the lithium grease.

it's bath soap.
    people have been using it in water type areas for a hundred years, I have heard of no story's about soap rusting away some ones water pipes, or drains, or sinks, or faucets, or shower heads.
    is it the stearate?
    which stearate causes it? all of them?
    Last edited by runfiverun; 06-20-2013 at 04:35 PM.

Banned
    .....in far too many places in this area from Nike type people that just feel the need to I KNOW SOMETHING YOU DO NOT and that can do anything you can do better.

people that live in hot and dry areas just do not "get" certain things and others may trust/try them things in climates in which it will matter......read slower if you need to.......Never once did I say IT WILL CAUSE RUST.....I said it was very obviously absorbing water from the air in a hot& humid environment.....that CAN cause rust, especially if left unchecked.

I do not "clean" my bores in my cast guns as it messes up MY known accuracy standards and I simply am not going to take the risk when uuuber high soap lubes are not required for MY nice little round groups in my j-word speed cast shooting toys, especially when I CANNOT REPLICATE THE PEANUT GALLERIES RESULTS AS FAR AS ACCURACY IS CONCERNED WITH THE HIGHER THAN THE MOUNTAIN SOAP CONTENT.
    Last edited by 357maximum; 06-19-2013 at 09:50 PM. Reason: wHEN

Banned
    BTROJ

You are taking things way to personal.

1. It is not your results I have a quandy with.
    2. When a feller comes on here spouting the best lube ever, I am gonna try it.
    3. When I fail to get the same results time in and time out with each and every new IDEA... I start to form certain opinions about said person(s).
    4. When after I post results that are less than some "expected from their idea" the thread drifts to the next best recipe in the block.
    5. If I ever found the best lube period.....I would scream it from the rooftops and I sure would stand my ground if someone said I was wrong. I sure as heck would not just move on to the next thing IF I was that sure I had found something special.....when someone does that...you can pretty much be assured it was all fabrication......fortunately for me that person seems to have taken his toys and left the sandbox for greener pastures full of "listeners" and "followers".
    6. I admire the effort of THAT THREAD, but ego and bravado just ruined a great idea, even if that idea was likely a grand illusion of sorts.
    7. I started out honestly trying to help as I had played alot with lube to the point of borderline insanity actually, my help was not wanted, but I tried anyway. I am not sure what else I can say as you have formed your opinion and I mine.
    Last edited by 357maximum; 06-20-2013 at 10:34 PM. Reason: removed the Rchard

Banned

so you got bent about what?
    hell the soap lubes we were working with weren't perfect. [we didn't expect them to be]
    we moved on to another formulation, guess what it has some issues too.
    we are moving along again, and again.
    every time we move ahead we find [learn] something new and things get a little bit better.
    it isn't easy there is no direction to follow.
    we all knew that going in, you as much as any of us.
    it was not the first time playing the game for any of us.
    but the ingredients are sure new to most of us and anybody else for that matter.

Banned
    If one is going to yell that the crowded movie theatre is on fire.....one should proably make sure that it truly is first, that's all I am saying.

When you apply that same logic to someone posting a lube recipe as tested and not bested, there are those that simply cannot help spending the money and trying it. When that/them recipe(s) fail miserably some people might not appreciate the ** or the hoops they went through to find some damned near unobtanium ingredient or the fact that the lube recipe can possibly have negative consequences on the shooting iron in certain climates. There are also those that have not been doing this as long as others and guess what?...you not only just wasted their time, their money, and possibly lengthened their learning curve on this great hobby of ours. One only has to look at the groups posted by others to see that someone spoke before they shot much, and they obviously did not swing for the fence before posting such. Most groups posted in that thread can be bested with vaseline/beeswax or NRA50/50 type lubes....far from extreme in my eye....and I am not alone in that feeling. If you go around saying that your penis is 18 inches long....sooner or later someone is gonna ask you to whip it out........you might wanna make sure it will at least be able to be stretched to 15 inches first.
    Last edited by 357maximum; 06-20-2013 at 10:31 PM. Reason: broke out the ****** scooper

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Which is the truth and which is the BS? Repeatable results by others will normally sort that out just fine. Some of them don't feel that a 30/30 is "EXTREME" either.

Is that not merely a matter of opinion? Targets normally hold no opinion nor preconceived notions, neither do chronagraphs.

I find it interesting that a person such as yourself who claims to have spent hundreds of dollars developing a lube are so quick to decide a guy is full of BS because of excitement over a single result. You never had a single result that got you excited just to have your hopes dashed later? Sure have jojoba oil and orange oil both got me going...took me awhile to realize it was the basic recipe and not them two oils that made the lube. If someone called me on it I would simple shrug my shoulders and claim MEA CULPA....I would not attack said person for merely trying to help.

I wish I was good enough to get instant positive results. Since I am not I will continue, along with my amigos, to muddle along and do what we can. Who gets instant positive results? I have found somewhat simple to prevail, I tried to share that thought...... again...I got attacked.

I can assure you we won't be boring you with results.
    At this point I will have to thank you once more...thank you

My words are in RED

Banned
    I do not care if MML gets soft over 90 degrees...still puts the boolits where I want them....as will quite a few other recipes. Sharing is good, I guess some sharing should be done with a disclaimer I spose. ...and YES if someone were to make MML and not like it after thorough testing by several members of my inner circle here before posting.... I WOULD INDEED FEEL RESPONSIBLE, but actual trigger time and shooting the "too soft" a lube would proably negate such feelings. It is the target board that matters nothing else...well to me anyway. Good night, nice chatting without having a whizzing contest for once.

Banned

it seems that is supposed to be the whole point of joining a whatever this is.
    is to pass along information.
    you have to be willing to make an effort at communicating specifics.
    the jojoba oil, the soap. which one is the trouble maker?
    yep you have to isolate the ingredient to find out.

so MML works 100% of the time every time all the time but only in lower Michigan?
    what happens if you drive 50' over the border?
    I have some dang good lubes for where I live too [it rarely goes over 85 in the summer here] sadly they don't work so well in Las Vegas in September.
    that sure makes for a poor prairie dog shoot.
    so does using that summer time p-dog lube for a first shot cooper shoot on jan 1st around here.

Banned
    Passing along info should still come with some small responsibility is all I am saying...nothing more...nothing less.

50 foot over the border.....good one...tushe'

Apparently MML will work just fine as far south as Southern Illinois in 95deg weather....that is as far south as I have personally shot it. As far as the cold goes I have no worries for my uses, is it perfect???....heck no......it is my best effort so far, but some of the other greasy/bee recipes can be modded to do the same thing. Jojoba and orange oils cause no ills, but they added nothing to a good lube either....timing on the ingredients added/subtracted simply had me misplacing the credit to additive$ instead of solid recipes. I wish it would only go to 85 here with the humidity that 85-95 degree weather brings in from Lk. Michigan. I am not a heat lover, but it still happens here. If it were up to me it would be 55 degrees every day of the year.

MML as well as MML+5% soap samples have went here and there in order to try and answer the very question you just asked, but the recipients apparently do not like to shoot fast or type as much as some of us sickos do. I have actually worked up a replacement recipe that requires no microwax, but I am still putting it through it's paces and I sure as hell would not call it extreme it may be, but I do not KNOW that.

Good night.

Banned

there is a certain disclaimer that comes with the type of thread that was running.
    you have to do your own homework on poe/poa/pag type oils and what is compatible.
    the whole thing was a series of tests with results being posted.
    some of the lubes were very touchy to how they were cooked, and directions had to be followed in the order they were given and certain temperatures had to be met.
    plain and simple.
    if you deviated or had trouble some discretion should be used as to whether you are gonna shoot what you made or not.
    it was open enough for discussion of problems and ingredients, nothing was made a secret, it was not a private discussion.
    some of the stuff made wasn't even a lube or used as a lube it was made up to test a theory.
    remember the GEL made from mineral oil and soap?
    it showed that a homogenous soap lube could be made.
    it cost about 10 bucks to make, then the whole thing was tossed in the trash, but it proved the theory.
    everything being done was/is new and there is nothing conventional about it.

I have some 20/1 alloy 500 grain BPCR boolits that were lubed with SPG about 15 years ago and they look fine. I also have about fifty loaded 45 long colt boolits that were cast using Wheel Weight lead and these have dull oxidation...these are also about 15 years old.

Woops! That dull oxidation appearence was moly spray lube. Boolits are holding up fine.
    Last edited by detox; 06-20-2013 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Junior1942 View Post
    It's probably due to the natural salt in animal fat, i.e., lard. The solution is to shoot the lubed bullets soon after lubing them, i.e., within a few months. The rancid smell is rancid lard. The solution is to microwave the bottle and kill the bacteria.
    Sounds logical, but i have no problem with my 15 year old batch of SPG. I have the large brick size and it smells good as new with very slight sweet smell
    Last edited by detox; 06-20-2013 at 07:59 AM.

Fellows there is no need to get wound up so tight over various reported results. Ir your tests don't jive with those reported by others or the lube isn't performing the way you thought it should find one that does. Sometimes "Lube God" allows a lube to work for one and not another.

I edited one post for the use of "BS" I don't intend to spend time editing out the rest. The authors can do so on their own time. We can all respect others opinions in a civil manner. If we find it difficult to do so bite your pencil and move on other wise you may find yourself on the outside looking in.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Banned

fixed mine.
    the discussion looked pretty civil to me,,, considering.

Boolit Grand Master
    I just deleted mine.

I figure civility is far from possible now. I am done.

Will I get in trouble if I talk about my BS in Chemistry?
    Last edited by btroj; 06-20-2013 at 07:26 PM.

Banned
    ...and here I thought we were discussing things more civil than ever and actually making progress.....must be out of touch I spose.....whatever, doesn't matter, nevermind.

Lets just say it is a work in progress We can all try to make it work mo betta.

We got to remember what is something really to get worked up over like, why are my Edmonton Oilers to gal darned inept at making the NHL playoffs! Go Hawks Go

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Grand Master
    Maybe it is because they aren't a US based team? That seems to be the trend these days. Does Canada even play hockey.....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast