Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Ogive cutting on a lathe

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Cane_man View Post
    Honor, how rigid is that unistrut? I have looked at several different ways to attach the QCTP, and because of height issues with the center line of the chuck there are not many options that will work... do you think the unistrut is a good option if you were going to make a new one? what else would you use?
    My plan was to build something like the milling attachment I've seen plans for on the internet kind of like this one here http://www.vintageprojects.com/machi...tach-plans.pdf

Of course it would have to be modified somewhat to make it lay flat and on my Southbend I would replace the compound just like I did with the prototype I built. I only have a 9" lathe so I don't have much room either but I do know the pivot needs to be on the back side of the work.

I do think the unistrut is plenty rigid for this in such a short length and for the lighter cuts we take doing this. The plate I used under that unistrut to mount on the lathe is just an old plate of a piece of farm machinery that's only about a 3/8 thick and the boss I turned to fit the compound mount on the lathe was 2 inch trailer hitch ball and then press fit that into the plate and peened it a few times to make it good and solid. I think the biggest improvement would be a threaded dial feed to advance the tool post for repeatable and accurate cuts which shouldn't be too hard to accomplish

Boolit Master
    seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    Honor, did you take off the compound slide to mount your radius attachment, and attach it to the cross slide?
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." -John Adams 2nd POTUS

Boolit Master
    this instrument is fantastic, takes all the guess work out of it... a little pricey, but its a one and done type of tool, i am sure the wife won't mind when she finds out

i am starting to think that 12L14 will be fine for the point forming die... this is not a high pressure/stress die like the derimming and core seating dies are... it is so easy to cut and polish, i know it is a low strength/wear steel but i will not be making thousands of bullets per year, and if it does wear it is no biggie to make a new one once you get the spoon reamer dialed in, and they bullets will be run thru a sizer anyway...

i made a point forming die yesterday with O1 and a 4 flute reamer, didn't turn out so well and the stuck case above was from that attempt... making a new spoon today and new die, using the 12L14
    Where did you get the Digital Mike and what model is it?
    I need to add one of these toy's to my machinest tool collection.
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    can't remember whey i got it swede, just bing "Mitutoyo 1" micrometer" and it will give you many options, about $120 but worth it
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." -John Adams 2nd POTUS

Boolit Man
    Honor, did you take off the compound slide to mount your radius attachment, and attach it to the cross slide?
    Yes sir, I did remove the compound and mounted the ogive cutter attachment in it's place.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567