RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hospital Again

On Heaven's Range

Hospital Again

A bit over a year ago, complications from diabetes led to the amputation of my left leg just below the knee. I have a new prosthetic leg , but the very poor condition of my right foot has made it impossible to "practice" with the new limb and regain some mobility.

On this coming Monday, amputation of the front third or so of the right foot will get rid of all the toes and possibly leave me with a sort of "club foot" and allow, with proper healing, for some use of the foot without too much pain.... meaning that MAYBE I will be able to use the prosthetic leg on the left side and thus get out of this (expletive deleted) wheelchair.

Right now that area of the foot is very painful, and the Doctor's stated "Reason for Surgery" on one of the forms is "relief of gangrene". Gangrene.... even after all the difficulties to date, that is a frightening and sobering word to see in actual print. Still, after many months of constant pain, it will be a great relief to get rid of the source.

So.... Monday at 0600 I will check in at the hospital in Elko, and the surgery will take place the same morning. Then a couple days or so as an in-patient and thence home for (hopefully) healing. Stitches are to be removed at "four to six weeks". Diabetes can make healing a long and difficult process, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

The medical troubles have effectively halted my casting/loading/shooting for 18 months. In that time period, I haven't even SEEN the inside of my shop, let alone done any loading activity. YES, I sure do miss it.

NVCurmudgeon visited-and-babysat me for a few days this week as my wife went to a re-union in Canada. He got me out to the range on Wednesday and I actually was able to fire a few-dozen rounds of 5.56(Mini 14) and 7.62 NATO (FAL).

Over these months of surgery and recovery, NVC has been a literal tower of strength to me... his assistance in all things as well as his great moral support have helped me immeasurably.

It's when things are NOT going well, that the true value of a FRIEND becomes most evident. Let it be noted that I am deeply grateful.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master

Bruce, prayers are inbound.
    Hopefully this is the last time and you can start concentrating on getting mobile again.
    Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
    What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?
    (I seriously doubt you can come up with any plausible answers that you will like...)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    Bruce: Count us among the crowd wishing you all success with this venture..with that will come self mobility... Onceabull and Mrs.SWMBO
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Boolit Master
    Wishing you a speedy recovery Bruce.

Boolit Master

I read once that a man is as rich as he has friends. I've found that very true. I hope you have a full recovery.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master

Bruce,
    I wish you all the best and hope for a quick recovery. Prayers sent.

Ken

Boolit Grand Master
    You're a tough guy, Bruce. Thinkin' about ya', buddy.

Found out a month ago wish you all the luck in the world. With that said prayers sent.

My prayers and thoughts will be in that hospital with you. Never doubt this fact.

Charles
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Saw my father through your difficulties some 18 years ago. Not an easy row to hoe, but you have to do whatever it takes to stay mobile.
    Wish I could be of more than just moral support to you.
    You will certainly be on my mind on Monday. Looking forward to an "all went well" from you.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Hang in there Bruce. You kind of remind me of the one guy in Little Big Man. He kept loosing parts, but he kept on going. You will too.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

You're in our thoughts friend. I see you've got a friend that came to visit, and took you shooting. THise kind of folks are priceless to have around.

Now, you've just made my troubles seem small in comparison, but, if you ever need to chat with an understanding soul, contact me. I know all too well the pain of being laid up, and the complications of diabetes.

Boolit Master

Very sorry to hear of your struggle, Bruce. Will definitely be praying for you. So wonderful to hear about NVC's support and here's hoping your surgery is as solid of a success as NVC's friendship!
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Boolit Master

Bruce I feel your resolve in your post to get yourself up and going again! That is an indication that the battle is all but won for you. I will be praying for you over this weekend and especially as Monday rolls around. I pray that all goes perfectly and the outcome is the best it possibly can be. I agree with Jim, you are tough.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

In Remembrance
    Incoming PM.

You got my prayers. My pawpaw had diabetes and lost his right leg just below the knee and then a year later his leg leg at just below mid thigh. He was up walking about 8 weeks later on his prosthetics. He didn't let it slow him down. The body is a amazing thing, the ability we have at healing ourselves just amazes me. Do your best to eat right and drink a lot of water, it will speed up healing. And once the stitches come out, mederma the site 3 times a day, it will soften the scarring and make the area much less dry and irritated.
    ~Andrea

Cast Hunter

God Speed Bruce. Praying for a successful recovery.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Grand Master

Continuing to pray for you, Bruce, and your MD's too.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_G View Post
    Bruce, prayers are inbound.
    Ditto for me Bruce.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Buddy
    I pray for a fast recovery and the ability to do what makes you happy. I'll be thinking of you on Monday.