MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Rusted out Magma lubrisizer "help"!

Boolit Mold

Rusted out Magma lubrisizer "help"!

I was given a starsizer that was left to rust in a Louisiana garage. Even comes with heater.

I have cleaned the dirt, oil, and old lube off the machine.
    Now it is soaking in some Ed's Red.

The ram guide columns have surface rust on them.

The bullet punch ram is midway on the guide columns rusted in place.

The crank shaft assembly is rusted, but I have rotated it some. Did oil it.
    Can it be removed?

How do I get the guide columns off to completely remove rust and polish the guide rods or can I do it?

I did print out the manual for reference.
    Thanks for any suggestions

Banned

Call em up first and ask ?'s.

Also best for rust is 'OSPHO" @ shrewin-williams paint store.

Boolit Mold
    As of now, I did free up all moving parts. Cleaned guides with steel wool and very fine sandpaper. All parts that could come off have been cleaned of rust. Boiled it, Ed's Red it(soaked), Cleaned with brake cleaner, oiled and now it works fairly smooth. So I may have a working lubrisizer. Next step is to use it and see what happens.

Banned

Saint, u bought that one on ebay?

Boolit Mold
    It was given to me. A friend makes his own lube and that lube did not work right for him in the star. The temp control got too hot for his lube. So he put it in the garage and it sat since the 90's. He said he paid about 100.00 for it back then.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1785.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	74221
    This is the before. Hope I did the pic correct.
    and now
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	star now 1.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	74223
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1807.jpg  
    Last edited by saint451; 06-22-2013 at 11:15 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Dang did his garage burn down?

Boolit Buddy
    Hello everyone, I see here in the forum that there are many of these old star, made new, and do their excellent work, congratulations really, what is the value.what is the value when you buy them, polish them before?

ciao a tutti ,vedo quì nel forum che ci sono molte di queste star vecchie , messe a nuovo , e fate proprio degli ottimi lavori , complimenti davvero ,che valore hanno .che valore hanno quando le comprate ,prima di lucidarle ?

When I see star sizers on ebay, they usually get near new prices. Sometimes they sell for more than new. Ebay bidders are a strange creature.

I agree with VHoward, I watched them on eBay for a very long time, and in the end decided just to order a new one.......it was the right decision. Brand new, and it worked straight out of the box, no cleaning etc.

Boolit Buddy
    I am in total agreement about the Sizer prices. Why buy an old one for new price when you can order a new one from Lathsmith, and get it like you want it in a week or two. Also you are not waiting and hunting for the one you want. If I am not mistaken shipping is also included in Lathsmiths price. If you take shipping into consideration you can probably get the Custom one made cheaper.
    I guess Flea Bay is just like a Farm Sale. I once went to a Fram Sale with a couple 3 Point PTO driven seeders on the sale bill. Nothing trick, just the same seeder carried by MFA only a few dents and some rust here and their. After wasteing all day at the sale waiting for them to sell. They sold for more than you could have bought them Brand New at MFA for. And the new one would not have been used, dented, and rusted. I would venture a guess that some do not check on prices of new items before getting caught up in a bidding war at a sale. I did my research on what they sold for new. I was hoping for 1/2 of retail, possibly a little more. Who would have thought people would get caught up in a Bidding War and give over retail for the item, when it is currently and locally available new?

This thread has got me to thinking. I have been holding off on an order to Lathsmith for a 38 sizer due to nasty weather, and I have not been able to cast any sample bullets for him. I could move on to another size on the list that I have some bullets already cast for, and get it on order.

Bob

bhn22
    You should be able to order replacement parts from Magma for it. If one man put it together, another man can surely take it back apart and put it back together.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by saint451 View Post
    It was given to me. A friend makes his own lube and that lube did not work right for him in the star. The temp control got too hot for his lube. So he put it in the garage and it sat since the 90's. He said he paid about 100.00 for it back then.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1785.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	74221
    This is the before. Hope I did the pic correct.
    and now
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	star now 1.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	74223
    Looks like it still needs cleaning, to me.

Banned
    If it were me I would send it to Magma and have them replace the guide colums and the bushings. Using it like you are doing is going to take a toll on the bushings. Just my .02

Boolit Master
    You canpurchase a product online called micromesch. It is a multi step polishing pads that start about 88 grit and goes to 12k grit. If the guide rods are in good enough shape you could chuck them up in a drill or lathe and pit an amazing polish on them.
    As fir rust removal, nothing beats evaporust for safe rust removal.
    lab

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Two approaches to restore that machine, one is to have magma rework it and the other is to clean it and labradigger1 has good suggestions. I agree with the others if you use it much in the condition it is in, you'll put more wear on it than it should have very quickly. Better to fully restore and get proper use out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by beppe View Post
    Hello everyone, I see here in the forum that there are many of these old star, made new, and do their excellent work, congratulations really, what is the value.what is the value when you buy them, polish them before?
    Usually retail. Sometimes retail plus. I somehow get the feeling that the old San Diego Stars were better made. Maybe the steel was better back then....who knows?
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.